(GDR3 INFO YOU NEED) So who is updating to GDR3 when available later today?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
[TIP]Use the "Search Thread" function to get around in this thread. It is getting too big to read every post, so this should help make things easier![/TIP]

First off, for those who didn't see the article: Get GDR3 today: Microsoft announces Windows Phone Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Central

Get this app to update: Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

So who is going to be updating their WPs today? For us AT&T 920 users, it is like getting two major updates in one week! I just signed up for App Studio program and started downloading the necessary files to developer-unlock my 920.

Call this Ambassador excited!

[WARN]This will most likely void your warranty until the official update hits your phone[/WARN]

[INFO]Quick info:
-You will still have Amber features on your phone
-You will not get Bittersweet with this update. It will still come with the official GDR3 update.
-You can not downgrade (User Toink is reporting that he/she successfully downgraded to GDR2 using Nokia Care Suite. Tread VERY carefully considering MS said you will not be able to do this.)
-You will be able to accept the official update without losing your data
[/INFO]

To get the update:
1. Go here to register for Windows Phone App Studio: Windows Phone App Studio | Microsoft
2. Install this app to update: Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
For a video that describes the info in more detail, go here: http://www.windowscentral.com/video-microsoft-preview-for-developers-windows-phone-8-gdr3

wp_ss_20131014_0001.pngwp_ss_20131014_0002.png
wp_ss_20131014_0003.png

[INFO]Features noticed to be working:
-Close from multitask screen
-Rotation Lock (though not the most convenient; issues with a couple isolated apps)
-Drive Mode present
-Custom call and text tones for each contact
[/INFO]

Changes/Updates other users are reporting:
-From user luk3ja
  1. slight changes to data sense settings options
  2. reminders sound can now be changed
  3. phone storage break down is loadsss better and much much faster!
  4. new keyboard setting to switch back to letters after typing an emoticon
-Some users reporting better bluetooth support for car stereos

For articles from WPCentral regarding further GDR3 update information, check out these articles:
-http://www.windowscentral.com/download-pr...gdr3-right-now
-http://www.windowscentral.com/get-gdr3-to...iew-developers
-http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-o...-8-gdr3-update

PLEASE POST ANY ISSUES OR FEATURES YOU NOTICE. I WILL PLACE THEM IN THIS POST.

Last edited:

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: So who is updating to GDR3 when available later today?

I will start preparation as soon as I get home from work! I can't wait, I just hope apps don't complain that they aren't compatible with our version of Windows.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

first off, for those who didn't see the article: get gdr3 today: Microsoft announces windows phone preview for developers | windows phone central

so who is going to be updating their 920s today? For us at&t users, it is like getting two major updates in one week! I just signed up for app studio program and started downloading the necessary files to developer-unlock my 920.

Call this ambassador excited!

as soon as it becomes available!!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I will start preparation as soon as I get home from work! I can't wait, I just hope apps don't complain that they aren't compatible with our version of Windows.

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues. I am more worried that there will be a run on downloading the update, and it will become unavailable for a little while. Maybe I am just over-estimating the number of tech savy WP users in the world though...

sharpycl

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site

I'm going to sit this out until I start hearing feedback from the forums.

Once question I do have is will it remove the amber update? I mean are all of nokias improvements removed after I update to the developer ROM?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I'll not be updating and waiting for user feedback

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to sit this out until I start hearing feedback from the forums.

Once question I do have is will it remove the amber update? I mean are all of nokias improvements removed after I update to the developer ROM?

It should not. It will not however add bittersweet shimmer (or whatever it is called, I am having troubles keeping up now-a-days!)

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Looking forward to testing this out later. Only question I guess I have is, is there a way to backup before u install the preview so you can restore if something goes wrong?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Looking forward to testing this out later. Only question I guess I have is, is there a way to backup before u install the preview so you can restore if something goes wrong?

Flashing via Nokia Retail will be the only way.. No downgrade by back,up as far as what is states on MSFT announcement

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

It should work like an OTA update in which you don't need to reset anything. Also, when the official GDR3 comes out, you shouldn't lose anything there either. Lastly, you can't go back to GDR2 once you do this.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

Since BitterSweet Shimmer is a Nokia update I'm guessing we will only get GDR3 and not BitterSweet Shimmer. Hopefully I am wrong like I was about GDR2 coming out on AT&T :)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Since BitterSweet Shimmer is a Nokia update I'm guessing we will only get GDR3 and not BitterSweet Shimmer. Hopefully I am wrong like I was about GDR2 coming out on AT&T :)

You are right. This has nothing to do with Nokia so you want get Bittersweet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99