10-27-2013 11:02 AM
42 12
tools
    What does this mean?
    "You can't revert back to a prior OS version"
    you can't 'uninstall' the update and revert to the previous firmware without losing data. For Nokia devices, it means that the only way to go back on the previous fw is to reflash.
    10-14-2013 11:44 AM
    Hi ,
    I am applied the GDR3 update and I just wanted to know that now my warranty is expired , will it be back again when I get the official update on final release ?
    Please tell the confirm as I heard here it might get back and some said it might not.
    10-14-2013 12:20 PM
    It is referred to as a developer's preview. That means it absolutely is at best a beta. Microsoft stopped using beta in product identification more than a year ago. Based upon their current usage, it is also not a final beta. As per their current system, it goes developer preview, consumer preview, RTM, consumer release.
    I believe you are confusing Windows development team and Windows Phone development team. Those preview stages were for Windows 8, and not even for Windows 8.1. The two teams, while MS is working to move them closer, are still two different teams with different schedules and nomenclature.

On the Windows Phone Blog announcement today, this was not announced as beta or alpha. Based on the previous released schedules, where GDR3 was to be released by beginning of November, it would be safe to assume this is feature complete (though we have no way to test 1080p or phablet sizes), and therefore past any beta definition. It may not final, but it may be close enough to RTM.
    10-14-2013 12:25 PM
    I have just 2 questions:
    Will my files be deleted?
    Will Amber features be available for me after the update?
    (NL920)
    Thank you.
    Will my files be deleted?
    Files, pictures, Apps & Games, SMS messages, Settings & Start Screen Layout aren't lost.

Will Amber features be available for me after the update?
    Lumia Amber Update stays so you still have all the Nokia goodies including access to the Nokia Collection in the Windows Store.

I'm using a Three UK Nokia Lumia 925.

Roland
    10-14-2013 01:23 PM
    So just to be clear, is it all i have to do to is sign up with the App Studio program for free (which I just did) and you'll get the update OTA?? Sounds too good to be true@@
    Just register with the Free App Studio Program with your Windows ID, Download the Preview App from the Windows Phone Store, Run Through the Screens in the App and Sign in with the Same Windows ID that you used to register, then press done when you get update instructions.

Once Registered for the Preview go to Settings, Phone Update and press check for update if it doesn't pick it up automatically, press install, press restart once it's prepared the update then sit back and relax while it installs and configures the update.

This is the second update I've done in as many days, as I went from OS 8.0.10327.77 to OS 8.0.10328.78 yesterday. Now gone from OS 8.0.10328.78 to 8.0.10512.142 today (L925).

Roland
    macmelilla likes this.
    10-14-2013 01:32 PM
    It is referred to as a developer's preview. That means it absolutely is at best a beta. Microsoft stopped using beta in product identification more than a year ago. Based upon their current usage, it is also not a final beta. As per their current system, it goes developer preview, consumer preview, RTM, consumer release.
    I could be wrong, but I thought I had heard that GDR3 had reached RTM and therefore all that was left was to fix bugs that OEMs may find.
    10-14-2013 02:01 PM
    ....and again, what is your source?
    Then don't take the chance, not that tough. Be brave or be safe thats how life is.
    10-14-2013 02:17 PM
    Guys, it's all PRO's, really! Because you can always flash back to GDR2 Amber - If you have a Lumia device, that is :)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...heres-how.html
    10-14-2013 04:47 PM
    So far, It isn't obeying my setting for custom text tones. I changed it and it worked until rebooting the phone and now it keeps playing the default tone when I get a text.
    10-14-2013 05:46 PM
    Question: does this affect the carrier-exclusive accent colours?

Example: I have my phone with Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) specifically because they have a special dark grey accent colour. If I install GDR3 this way, will I lose the exclusive accent colour?
    10-14-2013 05:48 PM
    Question: does this affect the carrier-exclusive accent colours?

Example: I have my phone with Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) specifically because they have a special dark grey accent colour. If I install GDR3 this way, will I lose the exclusive accent colour?
    Not sure, but you may become constipated upon installing this update. Something to consider.....
    JerseySal likes this.
    10-14-2013 08:40 PM
    I'm having battery drain issues after updating to gdr3. Didn't have it with gdr2. How do I reverse the update? Ots killing me and my phone feels hot :(
    10-15-2013 11:38 AM
    Well i registered for free, and got the update. I didn't state nowhere that it was a Aphla / Beta update, so i'm assuming it's a offiicial release directly from MS. I think they wanted to see how wel ik goes if they bypass the Carriers.

Seems like a better move.
    10-15-2013 02:31 PM
    Now all we need is a Nokia bittersweet shimmer developer preview :)
    10-15-2013 05:46 PM
    I didn't see any wording stating this was even a beta release. I would go under the assumption the GDR 3 is still in an alpha release state. Given that fact I would suggest giving some thought before installing it. I know I'm not touching it.
    It's not alpha, it's RTM (final Release to Manufacturing) & it's GOOD. Got it yesterday, no issues, no glitches ... matter of fact, appears to make the whole OS a tad smoother. Love the 'X' to close apps, certain third party apps needed to cycle backward thru ALL the iterations, before close (ScrollBoard comes to mind).

If there were an issue, I'd simply re-install the Amber/GDR2 update with NSU (on my Nokia Lumia 920). other OEMs may be SOL. I think this may be MS's way to identify ALL the glitches before the official rollout ... using all of us as Beta / Usability testers. Appeared to be "... here is is, if you want it ... " as always, YMMV.

They're looking to see if any of us can blow the stack.
    Last edited by ROKstrr22; 10-15-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: addendum
    10-15-2013 05:58 PM
    Actually, you should always be able to downgrade to the latest carrier-official firmware via Nokia Software Updater for Retail. That's only for Nokia owners, of course.
    A nice "perk" for being a Nokia phone devotee. Just ask the poor iPhone 4 and 4s owners whom foolishly upgraded to iOS7 only to find huge issues with the software out-driving the hardware limits, and whom were unable to roll back to iOS6. OUCH!
    10-15-2013 06:12 PM
    So far, It isn't obeying my setting for custom text tones. I changed it and it worked until rebooting the phone and now it keeps playing the default tone when I get a text.
    Same thing happens to me on my 521.
    10-27-2013 11:02 AM
42 12