Pro's & Con's

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So if you get this, you void your warranty right?

When the official one releases and you get teh real one, then you should be back on warranty right? Its not liek the carrier or OEM (nokia) wouild know you put in a beta build of gdr3?

I want to DL this, but after going through 5 920s and also 1 1020 replacement, i dont want to risk it and be with a bricked device with no warranty. I may have to skip this :(

Now if nokia doesnt know i put in beta gdr3 and update my device to official gdr3, then i should be under warranty..hmm

Once you void a warranty it is voided. As far as the carrier and OEM not being able to see, if you have a problem with the beta or something goes wrong with a RTM update, they absolutely can see that you altered the OS either when shipped back to be fixed or via remote access.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Once you void a warranty it is voided. As far as the carrier and OEM not being able to see, if you have a problem with the beta or something goes wrong with a RTM update, they absolutely can see that you altered the OS either when shipped back to be fixed or via remote access.

Yes, that is if you have something wrong with the beta and return your phone with the beta on it, would they know that i added the beta after i install the official GDR3 that comes out in the next few months when i return my phone with the official update?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is the official GDR3, not an alpha or beta.

It is referred to as a developer's preview. That means it absolutely is at best a beta. Microsoft stopped using beta in product identification more than a year ago. Based upon their current usage, it is also not a final beta. As per their current system, it goes developer preview, consumer preview, RTM, consumer release.

Shan Ali Khan

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi ,
I am applied the GDR3 update and I just wanted to know that now my warranty is expired , will it be back again when I get the official update on final release ?
Please tell the confirm as I heard here it might get back and some said it might not.

mharr

Jan 2, 2004
Visit site
It is referred to as a developer's preview. That means it absolutely is at best a beta. Microsoft stopped using beta in product identification more than a year ago. Based upon their current usage, it is also not a final beta. As per their current system, it goes developer preview, consumer preview, RTM, consumer release.
I believe you are confusing Windows development team and Windows Phone development team. Those preview stages were for Windows 8, and not even for Windows 8.1. The two teams, while MS is working to move them closer, are still two different teams with different schedules and nomenclature.

On the Windows Phone Blog announcement today, this was not announced as beta or alpha. Based on the previous released schedules, where GDR3 was to be released by beginning of November, it would be safe to assume this is feature complete (though we have no way to test 1080p or phablet sizes), and therefore past any beta definition. It may not final, but it may be close enough to RTM.

Rolandh

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have just 2 questions:
?Will my files be deleted?
?Will Amber features be available for me after the update?
(NL920)
Thank you.

?Will my files be deleted?
Files, pictures, Apps & Games, SMS messages, Settings & Start Screen Layout aren't lost.

?Will Amber features be available for me after the update?
Lumia Amber Update stays so you still have all the Nokia goodies including access to the Nokia Collection in the Windows Store.

I'm using a Three UK Nokia Lumia 925.

Roland

Rolandh

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
So just to be clear, is it all i have to do to is sign up with the App Studio program for free (which I just did) and you'll get the update OTA?? Sounds too good to be true@@

Just register with the Free App Studio Program with your Windows ID, Download the Preview App from the Windows Phone Store, Run Through the Screens in the App and Sign in with the Same Windows ID that you used to register, then press done when you get update instructions.

Once Registered for the Preview go to Settings, Phone Update and press check for update if it doesn't pick it up automatically, press install, press restart once it's prepared the update then sit back and relax while it installs and configures the update.

This is the second update I've done in as many days, as I went from OS 8.0.10327.77 to OS 8.0.10328.78 yesterday. Now gone from OS 8.0.10328.78 to 8.0.10512.142 today (L925).

Roland

dcutting

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I could be wrong, but I thought I had heard that GDR3 had reached RTM and therefore all that was left was to fix bugs that OEMs may find.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So far, It isn't obeying my setting for custom text tones. I changed it and it worked until rebooting the phone and now it keeps playing the default tone when I get a text.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Question: does this affect the carrier-exclusive accent colours?

Example: I have my phone with Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) specifically because they have a special dark grey accent colour. If I install GDR3 this way, will I lose the exclusive accent colour?

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Question: does this affect the carrier-exclusive accent colours?

Example: I have my phone with Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) specifically because they have a special dark grey accent colour. If I install GDR3 this way, will I lose the exclusive accent colour?

Not sure, but you may become constipated upon installing this update. Something to consider.....

Yong Leng Ng

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having battery drain issues after updating to gdr3. Didn't have it with gdr2. How do I reverse the update? Ots killing me and my phone feels hot :(

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Well i registered for free, and got the update. I didn't state nowhere that it was a Aphla / Beta update, so i'm assuming it's a offiicial release directly from MS. I think they wanted to see how wel ik goes if they bypass the Carriers.

Seems like a better move.

ROKstrr22

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't see any wording stating this was even a beta release. I would go under the assumption the GDR 3 is still in an alpha release state. Given that fact I would suggest giving some thought before installing it. I know I'm not touching it.

It's not alpha, it's RTM (final Release to Manufacturing) & it's GOOD. Got it yesterday, no issues, no glitches ... matter of fact, appears to make the whole OS a tad smoother. Love the 'X' to close apps, certain third party apps needed to cycle backward thru ALL the iterations, before close (ScrollBoard comes to mind).

If there were an issue, I'd simply re-install the Amber/GDR2 update with NSU (on my Nokia Lumia 920). other OEMs may be SOL. I think this may be MS's way to identify ALL the glitches before the official rollout ... using all of us as Beta / Usability testers. Appeared to be "... here is is, if you want it ... " as always, YMMV.

They're looking to see if any of us can blow the stack.

Last edited: