Pro's & Con's

idlelimey

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Having read the news this morning, I'm thinking about whether or not to go for this.

The upshot is we'd get GDR3 early. But, is there a rollback facility? Will it hamper firmware updates - previously these were rolled out with the OS update. Is there a chance the phone could brick, what recovery options are there? Is this developer release final GDR3 code?

Do I worry too much? :)

Raman Shahdadpuri

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
"After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your MO and OEM. In the unlikely event you run into an issue after you apply the prerelease update, you can visit the preview program’s support forum."

idlelimey

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I read that and that's what prompted some of my apprehensions. It's a little vague - the warranty statement is pretty standard on non-operator commissioned software.

anon(5718954)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually, you should always be able to downgrade to the latest carrier-official firmware via Nokia Software Updater for Retail. That's only for Nokia owners, of course.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
There is no rollback feature available. This is however the official release, mainly for developers to make sure their apps will work with it as expected.
There is always a chance the phone will brick, but being a "semi-official" relase, I would say the chance is minimal. The update will come down the official phone update channel once the proper app is installed from Microsoft.
Microsoft has stated that this will not include any firmware updates like "bittersweet shimmer", but when the official release per phone model is out, you will get those respective updates. So you will not be left behind as per microsofts press release.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see any wording stating this was even a beta release. I would go under the assumption the GDR 3 is still in an alpha release state. Given that fact I would suggest giving some thought before installing it. I know I'm not touching it.

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
So this gdr3 developer preview is the full windows phone 8 gdr3 release and not a crippled version of the is like blackberry does with developer versions of bb10?

So gdr3 will work on any device ? Even my Lumia 520 ?

This is just my first windows phone and I want to be sure before update to developer preview on mine and my wife's phones

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see any wording stating this was even a beta release. I would go under the assumption the GDR 3 is still in an alpha release state. Given that fact I would suggest giving some thought before installing it. I know I'm not touching it.
This is the official GDR3, not an alpha or beta.

idlelimey

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just wait a day or so after it's available and see if there are very many problems from early adopters. That said, I can see myself saying "to hell with it" and downloading at the first opportunity! :)

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
So just to be clear, is it all i have to do to is sign up with the App Studio program for free (which I just did) and you'll get the update OTA?? Sounds too good to be true@@

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So just to be clear, is it all i have to do to is sign up with the App Studio program for free (which I just did) and you'll get the update OTA?? Sounds too good to be true@@

Yes after opting in later today when the website becomes available and the app that lets you opt in on each Windows Phone.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

Essentially yes, but you have to,be approved on the beta program in order to do the update..

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just need to decide on whether to put this on my currently active 1020, or my previous 920. I've been thinking about selling the 920 now that I have the 1020, but now, I might just hang on to it just for this GDR3 thing... From what I've read, I only have the option of installing this on ONE device?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So if you get this, you void your warranty right?

When the official one releases and you get teh real one, then you should be back on warranty right? Its not liek the carrier or OEM (nokia) wouild know you put in a beta build of gdr3?

I want to DL this, but after going through 5 920s and also 1 1020 replacement, i dont want to risk it and be with a bricked device with no warranty. I may have to skip this :(

Now if nokia doesnt know i put in beta gdr3 and update my device to official gdr3, then i should be under warranty..hmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs