10-27-2013 12:02 PM
42 12
tools
    Having read the news this morning, I'm thinking about whether or not to go for this.

The upshot is we'd get GDR3 early. But, is there a rollback facility? Will it hamper firmware updates - previously these were rolled out with the OS update. Is there a chance the phone could brick, what recovery options are there? Is this developer release final GDR3 code?

Do I worry too much? :)
    10-14-2013 10:56 AM
    "After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your MO and OEM. In the unlikely event you run into an issue after you apply the prerelease update, you can visit the preview program’s support forum."
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-14-2013 11:00 AM
    Yeah, I read that and that's what prompted some of my apprehensions. It's a little vague - the warranty statement is pretty standard on non-operator commissioned software.
    10-14-2013 11:03 AM
    Actually, you should always be able to downgrade to the latest carrier-official firmware via Nokia Software Updater for Retail. That's only for Nokia owners, of course.
    10-14-2013 11:05 AM
    There is no rollback feature available. This is however the official release, mainly for developers to make sure their apps will work with it as expected.
    There is always a chance the phone will brick, but being a "semi-official" relase, I would say the chance is minimal. The update will come down the official phone update channel once the proper app is installed from Microsoft.
    Microsoft has stated that this will not include any firmware updates like "bittersweet shimmer", but when the official release per phone model is out, you will get those respective updates. So you will not be left behind as per microsofts press release.
    Mohak Adav and idlelimey like this.
    10-14-2013 11:06 AM
    I didn't see any wording stating this was even a beta release. I would go under the assumption the GDR 3 is still in an alpha release state. Given that fact I would suggest giving some thought before installing it. I know I'm not touching it.
    10-14-2013 11:10 AM
    So this gdr3 developer preview is the full windows phone 8 gdr3 release and not a crippled version of the is like blackberry does with developer versions of bb10?

So gdr3 will work on any device ? Even my Lumia 520 ?

This is just my first windows phone and I want to be sure before update to developer preview on mine and my wife's phones
    10-14-2013 11:13 AM
    I didn't see any wording stating this was even a beta release. I would go under the assumption the GDR 3 is still in an alpha release state. Given that fact I would suggest giving some thought before installing it. I know I'm not touching it.
    This is the official GDR3, not an alpha or beta.
    10-14-2013 11:13 AM
    Just wait a day or so after it's available and see if there are very many problems from early adopters. That said, I can see myself saying "to hell with it" and downloading at the first opportunity! :)
    10-14-2013 11:23 AM
    So just to be clear, is it all i have to do to is sign up with the App Studio program for free (which I just did) and you'll get the update OTA?? Sounds too good to be true@@
    10-14-2013 11:25 AM
    Will this affect my Jump upgrade eligibility with T-Mobile if it voids warranties?
    10-14-2013 11:29 AM
    Will this affect my Jump upgrade eligibility with T-Mobile if it voids warranties?
    No.. They don't care about what you did to the OS as long as the phone js in good condition..
    So just to be clear, is it all i have to do to is sign up with the App Studio program for free (which I just did) and you'll get the update OTA?? Sounds too good to be true@@
    Yes after opting in later today when the website becomes available and the app that lets you opt in on each Windows Phone.
    as long as you don't tell them, they won't ever know.
    10-14-2013 11:30 AM

Essentially yes, but you have to,be approved on the beta program in order to do the update..
    10-14-2013 11:30 AM
    No.. They don't care about what you did to the OS as long as the phone js in good condition..
    That's what I figured, thanks.
    10-14-2013 11:34 AM
    I have just 2 questions:
    —Will my files be deleted?
    —Will Amber features be available for me after the update?
    (NL920)
    Thank you.
    10-14-2013 11:40 AM
    I just need to decide on whether to put this on my currently active 1020, or my previous 920. I've been thinking about selling the 920 now that I have the 1020, but now, I might just hang on to it just for this GDR3 thing... From what I've read, I only have the option of installing this on ONE device?
    10-14-2013 11:40 AM
    So if you get this, you void your warranty right?

When the official one releases and you get teh real one, then you should be back on warranty right? Its not liek the carrier or OEM (nokia) wouild know you put in a beta build of gdr3?

I want to DL this, but after going through 5 920s and also 1 1020 replacement, i dont want to risk it and be with a bricked device with no warranty. I may have to skip this :(

Now if nokia doesnt know i put in beta gdr3 and update my device to official gdr3, then i should be under warranty..hmm
    10-14-2013 11:44 AM
    ....and what exactly is the source allowing you to make such a definitive statement?
    10-14-2013 11:53 AM
    So if you get this, you void your warranty right?

When the official one releases and you get teh real one, then you should be back on warranty right? Its not liek the carrier or OEM (nokia) wouild know you put in a beta build of gdr3?

I want to DL this, but after going through 5 920s and also 1 1020 replacement, i dont want to risk it and be with a bricked device with no warranty. I may have to skip this :(

Now if nokia doesnt know i put in beta gdr3 and update my device to official gdr3, then i should be under warranty..hmm
    Once you void a warranty it is voided. As far as the carrier and OEM not being able to see, if you have a problem with the beta or something goes wrong with a RTM update, they absolutely can see that you altered the OS either when shipped back to be fixed or via remote access.
    10-14-2013 11:57 AM
    as long as you don't tell them, they won't ever know.
    ....and again, what is your source?
    10-14-2013 11:59 AM
    Once you void a warranty it is voided. As far as the carrier and OEM not being able to see, if you have a problem with the beta or something goes wrong with a RTM update, they absolutely can see that you altered the OS either when shipped back to be fixed or via remote access.
    Yes, that is if you have something wrong with the beta and return your phone with the beta on it, would they know that i added the beta after i install the official GDR3 that comes out in the next few months when i return my phone with the official update?
    10-14-2013 12:00 PM
    This is the official GDR3, not an alpha or beta.
    It is referred to as a developer's preview. That means it absolutely is at best a beta. Microsoft stopped using beta in product identification more than a year ago. Based upon their current usage, it is also not a final beta. As per their current system, it goes developer preview, consumer preview, RTM, consumer release.
    10-14-2013 12:02 PM
    What does this mean?
    "You can't revert back to a prior OS version"
    10-14-2013 12:32 PM
42 12