Increased tiles for WXGA and 720p phones?

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I remember reading that it was only on WXGA screens but I may be mistaken. They can fit 3 medium tiles on one row and 6 small ones. One large tile and one normal one as well.

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I hope so, but for how far I have read only 1280x768 (or something like that) will be able to have 3 medium sized tiles next to each other :(

I have the HTC 8X with 1280x720 :(

Jabid21

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It may be a welcome feature for WXGA screens, but I'm worried whether it'll be forced down our throats or there will be an optional switch to alternate between new Start layout and the current Start layout.

TheSuperShoe

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
From reading the blog, it has to do with screen size, not resolution.

"A bigger Start screen means the ability to pin even more of the people, info, and apps that matter to you. Built-in apps and Hubs like email, Photos, People, and Music and Videos will also be carefully scaled to take full advantage of the additional real estate on 6-inch screens."

OldDogSparky

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I expected the WXGA devices to need driver updates before the new 3 medium tile layout would be supported. The big question is whether Nokia will have it ready in the new firmware or if they will just implement it on devices going forward. Nokia has been pretty good about providing support, so my fingers are crossed.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I would also cross my fingers for 1280x768 but... It's more likely that it will NOT come to 1280x760's devices.

Such a shame! GDR3 doesn't bring anything great to me. Maybe the orientation mode. However, we don't have a quick settings mode (unless the shortcut can be pinned) so...

goldenpipes

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I would also cross my fingers for 1280x768 but... It's more likely that it will NOT come to 1280x760's devices.

Such a shame! GDR3 doesn't bring anything great to me. Maybe the orientation mode. However, we don't have a quick settings mode (unless the shortcut can be pinned) so...

someone will probably make a tile for screen orientation setting.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
just updated my lumia 920 to gdr 3. did not get 6 small tiles or as seen in the leaked video shown on lumia 920 :/ any idea , is this a bug or our lumia 920 wont get this feature ?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
For those asking-- 3rd column in start (and all the other related UI changes throughout OS) are for LARGE SCREEN devices only (w 1080p).

Tweeted by Joe Belfiore a few minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/389799596899442688

That is a lost opportunity, stupidity of Microsoft strikes again, not everyone needs such masive tiles on the Lumia 9** and 1020 devices, I would much rather have a third row even if it means slightly smaller tiles. How hard is it to add a simple UI option into the settings. Let the user decide how many tiles they want, more custumization options is never a bad thing.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Such a shame, I was hoping that users of devices like the 925, 1020, 920, etc. would be able to enjoy another tile column.

But don't give up all hope just yet my brothers and sisters, for this is a pre-release, meaning that they might be open to some small alterations before the official version is released (which we can assume with be sometime next month, considering the 1520's announcement is just a week away...). So maybe, if we campaign hard enough, we can convince them to make such a change before GDR3 officially launches. It's worth a shot.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Man, I just noticed if you set the People tile to wide, it is 3 medium or 6 small. It looks pretty good... Now I kinda wish we were getting that. :/

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Believe me, you wouldn't want them to resize the tiles to fit a 3rd column on non-large screen devices.

Even those with bigger 720p screens, like the L92x and L1020 (I'm not sure they would put this on the L625) would require a significant downsize of the current tiles. Your "small" tiles would become nano-tiles which would be practically unusable. The medium live tiles would make very hard to display information on them too. Only the double-wide tiles would be functional. It's better they don't do this.

gerbir21

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Between WPCs previous post about GDR3 supporting 3 column med. tiles, Joe Belfiore's tweet about this feature only being available on phones with LARGE screens, and comments that this may be available in the official GDR3 release vs. The preview, I'm not sure what to believe. I updated my 1020 with hope that I would get the extra column and was disappointed to see this wasn't the case. Hope the official release includes this feature.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Believe me, you wouldn't want them to resize the tiles to fit a 3rd column on non-large screen devices.

Even those with bigger 720p screens, like the L92x and L1020 (I'm not sure they would put this on the L625) would require a significant downsize of the current tiles. Your "small" tiles would become nano-tiles which would be practically unusable. The medium live tiles would make very hard to display information on them too. Only the double-wide tiles would be functional. It's better they don't do this.

Not as much shrinkage as you think. Take the People Hub and make it double-wide. You'll notice that all the flipping people icons are the same size as a small tile, and there are six across. I think it'd be nice to have this as a toggle-able option, let the user decided. I personally want more on my homescreen,

moar_cat.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99