Share your experience

jaceot

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Nokia 521. Absolutely pleased with the way the update went. What a way to skip around the carriers. I was expecting I'd have to connect the phone to the computer by USB and have to do funny things but no... easy, install an app and just update as usual. My process took about an hour from download to "updating system" done.

I rebooted after that and everything seems snappier. Storage check is way speedier now as someone mentioned. I am pleased by the multi-tasking feature and I am looking forward to trying out the driving mode tomorrow. If I understand correctly, I don't have to turn it on, it will somehow detect I am driving?

I look forward to getting all the updates like this in the future. It really pleases me to know that Microsoft figured out a way around and delivering the updates to the people who really desperately must have the latest.

With a 521, they are so cheap, might as well give it a shot and update.

BrandonCormier

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Love it so far! Only gripe is the browser seems a tiny bit slower on my 521. Closing apps is nice. May not do much but it gives me the satisfaction of managing my apps lol.

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Love it so far. Although they can be improved on, I highly appreciate Microsoft for releasing this preview.

I love the "x" for closing apps, screen rotation and attaching documents to email.

Although, the screen rotation could be easily assessable if it was on the multi-task screen in a corner instead of going through to settings.

Also, make it more intuitive to attach not only one but multiple documents in your emails from the email app.

I'm sure Microsoft will be monitoring these forums to see the biggest gripes and hopefully address them in the full GDR2 release.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried going into the Driving Mode settings. I get to the screen where it asks if I want to set up a bluetooth device, I dont have bluetooth, so I'd like to just skip this step. but the "next" button is grayed out. is driving mode set up fully at this point? and how do I turn it on? thanks

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Love it so far. Although they can be improved on, I highly appreciate Microsoft for releasing this preview.

I love the "x" for closing apps, screen rotation and attaching documents to email.

Although, the screen rotation could be easily assessable if it was on the multi-task screen in a corner instead of going through to settings.

Also, make it more intuitive to attach not only one but multiple documents in your emails from the email app.

I'm sure Microsoft will be monitoring these forums to see the biggest gripes and hopefully address them in the full GDR2 release.

Actually, now that you mention it, the multitasking pane could be the perfect place for quick access to settings. We all know that we want easy access to common settings, like Apple's Control Center or Android's notification center, but none of us want it to be a carbon copy.

Having them accessible via the multitasking window isn't such a bad idea, I could dig it. Easy, universal access, whilst not being a carbon copy of the competition.

EDIT: It could just be the gear icon used for settings found in one of the corners of the multitasking window, and tapping it will bring up icons for many commonly accessed features (WiFi, Bluetooth, rotation lock, Airplane Mode, etc.). It would work very much like how letters already do (I.E: when you install a bunch of apps, your apps list gets letters. You can tap one, and the whole alphabet appears, so you can quickly jump to all the apps that start with that letter. Same thing in the People Hub).

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried going into the Driving Mode settings. I get to the screen where it asks if I want to set up a bluetooth device, I dont have bluetooth, so I'd like to just skip this step. but the "next" button is grayed out. is driving mode set up fully at this point? and how do I turn it on? thanks

Driving mode will turn on whenever it connects to your Bluetooth in your car. I don't know how else they could set it up.. I guess whenever you move at high speeds, but what about public transport or riding in your friend's car?

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Driving mode will turn on whenever it connects to tour Bluetooth in your car. I don't know how else they could set it up.. I guess whenever you move at high speeds, but what about public transport or riding in your friend's car?

ah ok. I was hoping I could just turn it on when I drive in my car to block out notifications. although I guess just turning it on silent would do basically the same thing for me.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

The whole point is that it start automatically when you connect to a specified Bluetooth device. No other way to start it, to my knowledge. Sorry. :(

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, seems a little pointless as it doesn't work without a Bluetooth device, but if you have a Bluetooth device, it's all hands free, so why block stuff???

Should just be a quick toggle on off, although I guess you could go to airplane mode

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, seems a little pointless as it doesn't work without a Bluetooth device, but if you have a Bluetooth device, it's all hands free, so why block stuff???

Should just be a quick toggle on off, although I guess you could go to airplane mode

But then you can't browse the web on cellular. I think it'd be nice for simply blocking notifications, like when you're letting a friend play with your phone (I do that occasionally when I'm pitching Windows Phone to someone, and Kid's Corner just won't cut it), or when I'm showing a video on MyTube to friends (what if you get a text from a friend after sharing an embarrassing story? If you're friends watching the video see it, well, awkward...).

I know these are unlikely scenarios, but still, it's nice to give the user a choice and put them in control. Hell, a few months back, a person on these very forums was asking if there was anyway to block text notifications, because he worked as a cable person, and he said it would be awkward if he got a text from the wife and his clients saw. This is an awesome feature, it seems stupid to cripple it with a Bluetooth requirement. It'd also be nice to be able to add other apps the notifications block list...

BrandonCormier

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Anybody have an issue with custom text tones? I set it and it works for the next SMS but after that it reverts to the default one.

EDIT: Seems a system reset solved it.

Last edited:

Luke DeSmith

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
driving mode only works if you use a blue tooth device to turn it on. this is a terrible tragedy for those of us who shun sticking things in our ears. i use my phone to play music in the car and connect it to the stereo via the headphone jack. this lets me play music stored locally or from any of the many apps and websites that stream music, but more importantly it pauses the music when i get a phone call and allows me talk hands free without sticking a thing in my ear. now if could turn driving mode on it would stop interrupting my music and send a polite reply to the caller. if only it worked. whats the point of a feature if you cant turn it on?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12