GDR3 Preview is LIVE!

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you go to messaging settings, at the very bottom it now has "emergency alerts". I don't know if this is new in GDR2 or GDR3

niiick

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Damn it I was looking forward to more tiles, this was the disappointing part. But oh well at least the autorotate is off now that was very annoying. Also Driving Mode is cool, just tested it a bit in the car.
Installed on 920.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Damn it I was looking forward to more tiles, this was the disappointing part. But oh well at least the autorotate is off now that was very annoying. Also Driving Mode is cool, just tested it a bit in the car.
Installed on 920.

Think about it, what possible use could there be for even more tile sizes on the same physical size screen? How useful would tiny squares be with text you can barely read and certainly can't just glance at?

joeonsunset

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm a huge Windows Phone fan and really push the platform to everyone I know. But I am a little disheartened about this update, honestly. I built up my expectations too high I guess, getting excited about more tile sizes or the possibility of a notification center. I have a Lumia 1020 and really, even at this resolution, the extra sizes would work well. The medium size tiles are pretty big right now, and I think they would work fine three across. I know that there was talk before about the 1080p requirement, but I think it was inattentional blindness on my part :)

Normally I'd be the first to install an update like this. But Bluetooth tethering doesn't do much for me (unless it uses less power than Wifi tethering?). That basically leaves screen rotation lock, office file attachments... features that for me are, like, I dunno. Ho-hum. I guess I'll like being able to browse the web laying on my side on the couch. I will never use drive mode: if it did something like keep the phone from going into lock screen, so you could use navigation without attending to it constantly, that would be awesome. But just blocking notifications? Meh. And task closing-- maybe it's just me, but I never have a problem with open apps. Which is a good thing for the OS, but it makes the feature kinda boring.

Alright, so I'm gonna install it update, let's be serious. But I feel a little like a kid at Christmas that didn't get the bee-bee gun he was begging for. I know, I know: You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

untitled.png

niiick

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Music controls are the same, no changes at all. On top of that, closing a music app with the new X on the app switching screen doesn't make the controls go away, same as it was.

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

actually no. I would have loved gesture based closing in addition to the X. I could see that x being somewhat annoying, especially on big phones like the 1520 where reaching it might be more difficult.

Its obviously not HARD, but the whole point is convenience.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone comment on these supposed new features of GDR3...particularly the tethering elements. Also does this work-around the current Verizon hobbling of tethering? Inquiring minds want to wander...

...as mentioned by Paul Thurott at winsupersite.com....
--------------------------
Mobile Accessibility. One of the big complaints about Windows Phone is that its accessibility features are decidedly lacking. With Update 3, Windows Phone 8 picks up a suite of apps called Mobile Accessibility that seek to improve this situation. Apps include a screen reader for blind and visually impaired as well as tools for the hearing-impaired that help with notifications like alarms, calendar events, and low-battery warnings.

Tethering improvements. The Internet Sharing feature in Windows Phone 8 is being updated to include a special pairing mode for use with particular PCs that uses Bluetooth to make the connection: No more manual entry of passwords.
------------------------

And thanks to all for reporting on how it is all going.

niiick

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Actually I'd be using it with the square tiles, I have very few small tiles on my setup and I would prefer to see the info at a glance as opposed to scrolling up and down. not to mention, the text size is kind of large for me, I would be ok with smaller text in the square or wide tiles

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro