GDR3 Preview is LIVE!

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge Windows Phone fan and really push the platform to everyone I know. But I am a little disheartened about this update, honestly. I built up my expectations too high I guess, getting excited about more tile sizes or the possibility of a notification center. I have a Lumia 1020 and really, even at this resolution, the extra sizes would work well. The medium size tiles are pretty big right now, and I think they would work fine three across. I know that there was talk before about the 1080p requirement, but I think it was inattentional blindness on my part :)

Normally I'd be the first to install an update like this. But Bluetooth tethering doesn't do much for me (unless it uses less power than Wifi tethering?). That basically leaves screen rotation lock, office file attachments... features that for me are, like, I dunno. Ho-hum. I guess I'll like being able to browse the web laying on my side on the couch. I will never use drive mode: if it did something like keep the phone from going into lock screen, so you could use navigation without attending to it constantly, that would be awesome. But just blocking notifications? Meh. And task closing-- maybe it's just me, but I never have a problem with open apps. Which is a good thing for the OS, but it makes the feature kinda boring.

Alright, so I'm gonna install it update, let's be serious. But I feel a little like a kid at Christmas that didn't get the bee-bee gun he was begging for. I know, I know: You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

View attachment 46838

Heh the flipside of that is I bought that actual Red Rider BB gun for my son and he didn't care. :( I think ultimately the reason is they are keeping the straight lines/ same grid layout, so if they allowed three medium across that'd also allow six small across. Imagine how small those six squares would be.

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Think about it, what possible use could there be for even more tile sizes on the same physical size screen? How useful would tiny squares be with text you can barely read and certainly can't just glance at?

Personally I would have liked smaller tiles, even on my 8X. I have some tiles that just simply don't need to be big at all like the windows store app and my battery widget. Internet explorer doesn't really need to take up that much space either.

Also, I'm hoping that this will add support for my car (a 2013 Focus) hands-free. I've been missing that since I changed from an old HTC Evo.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Under Bluetooth, there's now also an option to "Connect in a different way to use Speech with Bluetooth in my car".

Whoa nice this might be what I've been missing on my FR-S. Bluetooth works great for music but other than phone calls I can't do anything with the mic while it's connected. Search, dictate, etc. Gonna go test this.

invictus_7

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I know this but just saying it is timely that a brick fixer from Nokia comes out the day before all this is announced and made available. I wonder if this app would revert a bricked phone back to GDR2.

well, me personally, I have a couple of Amber ROMs downloaded and ready to be flashed if something goes wrong :)

FBirraque

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
HOW TO RUN THE UPDATE FASTER!!!!

You people might be already doing this. Just putting these so that it might help some one... I have 2 nokia 920 & i experimented the GDR2 update by doing the below steps as a pre installation process on one of the phones. The result was faster update as the installation process had to take lesser volume of data/settings for backup

* Back up personal data : photos/music/videos/ringtones etc to a laptop and delete them from phone (eventhough photos might be in skydrive, you may want to do this as additional step)
* Delete messages/delete all email accounts except nokia/ MS live account
* Removed unwanted apps (and the apps that you can re install after the update)
*settings > storage check > clear temp folder
* Remove any apps that take more space/data. You can re install them after the update
* Removed Here maps that were offline (downloaded one).

I am yet to run this preview but i am sure these steps will help me to get it faster :)

Why don't you suggest "factory reset" it before update?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Held down the windows logo, tell me gave me this example: "wpcentral, show me the news."
Is this new?? Tell me was updated or am I late on a fester that was released sometime now?

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
can you attach *docs, *pdf to an email ?

WPCentral article said you could but i dont see that option. When i select attach it only shows me my Photos.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Updated my 920. Zero drama. Wasn't worried about warranty or data (everything is backed-up and on exchange, etc - easy to get data again).

Is the Mobile Accessibility new? Under ease of access there is a download link to an MS add-on that puts a naration app front and center each time you unlock your phone. The app was dated 10/9/2013.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss