GDR3 Preview is LIVE!

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I guess people truly can't be happy even when a company is updating the devices at a reasonably fast speed(this is update 3 this year....within the first year of the intro of Wp8)

This is a minor update...wait till WP8.1 to see if they'll update some things you are complaining about(especially since the X to close app was JUST added)

Nokia has had most of those basic features since forever. Did WP/Nokia really expect to compete against Apple and Google without having enough vision and hardware specs to push the envelope? Most of the requested features Nokia implemented in they're handsets 5 years ago. Collectively they are moving at a snails pace when you consider most of the updates are for features most people expected on launch.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has had most of those basic features since forever. Did WP/Nokia really expect to compete against Apple and Google without having enough vision and hardware specs to push the envelope? Most of the requested features Nokia implemented in they're handsets 5 years ago. Collectively they are moving at a snails pace when you consider most of the updates are for features most people expected on launch.

I agree with you for the most part. I am just saying that we all more or less realized that Microsoft is a bit behind in features compared to IOS and Android but despite that we still enjoy the OS and that with this being a small update to enable better hardware in the near future, I'd probably be more p*ssed if this was WP8.1 and we still lack basic features of Android/IOS in 2014.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it is just my imagination, but I feel like transition animations between apps / pages are a bit faster.

Yep, I can confirm, for sure! :excited:

I like GDR3. Very nice. I noticed that the Store app shows Music + Videos icon when you look at the apps open... Sorry if someone already mentioned that.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I kinda hoped for a battery percentage display. Wasnt that leaked somewhere to be included in gdr3? Maybe it was 8.1 then.

I personally am glad that MS seems to push their updateprocess quite heavily, but for tge most part I wonder why they didnt inplemented it from the start, too.

Anyway: GDR3 Preview working flawlessly on my 520.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I kinda hoped for a battery percentage display.

Me too, hopefully it will come with 8.1.
Other things I am looking for most are notification centre (obviously), quick settings, separate ringtone and media volume, week view in calendar and ring and vibrate rather than vibrate then ring.

tarundhawan

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Installed it on my HTC 8S & made it useless device.
It keeps on rebooting on its own.

Please help any other user is also facing this issue in GDR 3

BBerryPowerUser

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Like to know that as well.

Also, contrary to what Micah commented, I AM VERY HAPPY with WP8 and what MS has been doing to improve it. I just wanted them to know I really missed the ability to add new contacts from search or phone with a touch and hold drop-down menu, and a fast way to close apps.

Hey, this is a new platform. I'm pretty darn impressed so far. I was a long time huge BBerry Fan. Ripping someone like me from those long roots is hard, but WP8 did it! :)

And Micah is also correct, these are minor updates. 8.1 will be the biggy. It's fun to be experiencing the growth and improvements! However, I'd not jump on this Preview, personally. I will just enjoy reading what you guys are experiencing, until it's ready to be pushed to my phone. Call me cautious!

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have this on my lumia 1020 and swear the pro cam app opens faster. I know nokia didn't do anything but Microsoft probably made some low level os changes to make it open faster.

AMikel

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Updated my HTC 8X last night, very smooth download and install...the 920 will be next. It's always the little things...I'm loving the ability to individually close apps and the rotation lock. However, the rotation lock needs to be easier to get at before GDR3 goes mainstream, way too many steps to get to this feature. I want to see it right there on the screen when I press volume up/down like I would to set vibrate vs. ring for example. Perhaps it pops up on the side or top if you rotate the screen?

I would also suggest moving the "X" to close apps to the bottom left corner so munchkins like me don't have to reach across the beautiful screen to close the app but hey...it still is awesome!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
However, the rotation lock needs to be easier to get at before GDR3 goes mainstream, way too many steps to get to this feature.

I agree. There are a couple apps available that pin a shortcut to your desktop. As it is it's buried too deeply. The settings menu as a whole needs cleaned up.

I would also suggest moving the "X" to close apps to the bottom left corner so munchkins like me don't have to reach across the beautiful screen to close the app but hey...it still is awesome!

I thought the same thing. Actually swiping might be easier. But then, there's the Apple thing...

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I updated to gdr3 preview about 4 hours ago and been using it constantly to see if everything worked. Everything is perfect so far, love the multitask close, it is so useful.

And for anyone thinking of doing it, you don't need to install the certificate on your phone, from the email for app studio, i didn't and it worked. :)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that the phone doesn't prompt closing an email, nor does it give you the option to save or discard.

Mine does, but only if you add something to the e-mail. If you just open a blank e-mail and then hit close then it just goes away as it should since there's nothing to save or discard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit