MSFT is screwing (up) carriers and I LIKE THAT!

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
With the new Preview program, MSFT is allowing enthusiasts to get Software early and without cost (App studio).. I am registered developer and have a couple of apps, but I am happy that ANYONE who just signs up for App studio can get GDR3 plus future versions of the OS without waiting for Carriers to approve the updates. Amazing things from MSFT

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft have something to announce next week also, that they said is about how future updates will work. They also hinted that a carrier deciding not to provide an update will no longer stop you getting an update.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I just wish Microsoft pushed out all WP updates out like this including OEM updates and new OEM firmware. Microsoft will win lots of love when they finally axe the carriers out completely.

mjenabi2

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
well, if it didint void your warranty it would have been brilliant. but im in two minds about getting the update or not.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
well, if it didint void your warranty it would have been brilliant. but im in two minds about getting the update or not.

They said it might void it, to be sure its best to check with your OEM and carrier.

Still it makes no sense for a software update to void a hardware warranty. It's as if I loose my Laptop warranty because I choose to reinstall Windows.

Shad0wguy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft have something to announce next week also, that they said is about how future updates will work. They also hinted that a carrier deciding not to provide an update will no longer stop you getting an update.

I guess the delay of GDR2 on AT&T was the breaking point.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
This is a definite step forward, I appreciate MS's early attempt to gain some hand. They gotta keep up this momentum and gain adopters. If they continually release beta/previews for all windows platforms, more will be inclined to join this ecosystem.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
EVERY other platform allows developers to get early OS updates. This isn't new. :p Although, I cant say any other ones offer it for free...

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
They said it might void it, to be sure its best to check with your OEM and carrier.

Still it makes no sense for a software update to void a hardware warranty. It's as if I loose my Laptop warranty because I choose to reinstall Windows.

The carriers will most definitely call the warranty void - the reason they delay it is because they say they're "testing" the update for compatibility with their systems (read preinstalled crapware). If you choose to bypass those tests and get updates early, they will say that's why the phone broke.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's face it... people love that when Apple announce a whole set of OS features, they can say you can download them on X.

Microsoft as a software company needs to be able to do the same thing.

Clearly the separation between cellular radio platform and the OS itself (think GDR2/Amber) permits the OS to be updated without invalidating the physical radio compatibility with cellular providers. They should be able to update the OS when they want.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Same here, it's so nice that users finally have a way of getting around the carrier's tyranny! Three cheers for Microsoft!!!

Just finished installing GDR3 on my phone. Nothing major, of course, but the new ability to force close apps from the multitasking pane is very nice. Now I've just got break my habit of spam pressing the back button....

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Let's face it... people love that when Apple announce a whole set of OS features, they can say you can download them on X.

Microsoft as a software company needs to be able to do the same thing.

Clearly the separation between cellular radio platform and the OS itself (think GDR2/Amber) permits the OS to be updated without invalidating the physical radio compatibility with cellular providers. They should be able to update the OS when they want.

I'm tired of saying the same thing to everyone.

When you own an Apple device, Apple takes the responsibility of doing tech support for those devices. So if you have an iPhone bought on contract with Vodafone, you can go to Apple if it breaks rather than having to go to a Voda store. Unless MS does this, there is zero chance for carrier-less software updates.

As to your second point, the nature of the interface between the OS and the radio hardware means that there's always a chance of breaking something.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The carriers will most definitely call the warranty void - the reason they delay it is because they say they're "testing" the update for compatibility with their systems (read preinstalled crapware). If you choose to bypass those tests and get updates early, they will say that's why the phone broke.

They can say whatever they want, but they would still have to prove it.

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Well even if it DOES void your warranty, it only does so for the next coming months. Once you install carrier GDR3 + potential Nokia firmware if nokia, they'll have no way of knowing you actually installed the preview GDR3.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well even if it DOES void your warranty, it only does so for the next coming months. Once you install carrier GDR3 + potential Nokia firmware if nokia, they'll have no way of knowing you actually installed the preview GDR3.

As an AT&T customer, I'm assuming I may have never gotten GDR3 from them... Haha.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm tired of saying the same thing to everyone.

When you own an Apple device, Apple takes the responsibility of doing tech support for those devices. So if you have an iPhone bought on contract with Vodafone, you can go to Apple if it breaks rather than having to go to a Voda store. Unless MS does this, there is zero chance for carrier-less software updates.

As to your second point, the nature of the interface between the OS and the radio hardware means that there's always a chance of breaking something.

Umm, you can go to a Microsoft Store, should you please, just like you can take an iPhone to an AT&T Store, should you please.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Just installed on my 925. Finally, Microsoft delivers on the promise that Thurrot has been beating them over the head with for the last couple of years: an actual update that isn't totally gated by the vendors and carriers. I like it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I do find it kinda surprising that they're doing this for a minor update. Although they could have done it specifically for a minor update so AT&T wouldn't flip the hell out.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I do find it kinda surprising that they're doing this for a minor update. Although they could have done it specifically for a minor update so AT&T wouldn't flip the hell out.

honestly, I'd rather they did it for a bigger update. I mean, I want Nokia's firmware update but I'm way more worried about not getting 8.1 or whatever is next. As an AT&T customer.

This was a pretty minor update, it wouldn't have upset me to not get it really. I'm glad to take it but I hope they continue this option for major updates.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon