Email Attachments

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It is pretty crappy how they implemented it, but you need to open up the Office Hub, find the file you will to attach, long press, and select share. Then you select your email account and then you'll notice that the file is actually attached.

That's the exact same way I've been doing it since WP7. I can do that exact same action on GDR2 now with any documents I have stored on the phone or in Skydrive. I think what everyone is asking is how to attach multiple documents to a single email- something that no one has been able to uncover yet. I'm really not sure how MS is advertising this as a new feature when this functionality has always been there.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
The WP blog post doesn't mention email.attachments. That was only reported on WPC.
http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...ate-plus-a-new-developer-preview-program.aspx

It doesn't mean it won't happen, its just that this 'preview' doesn't have it.

Edit: I believe WPC knows what it's talking about, so I would think that attaching office files from the email app will come in gdr3. Its just that this preview doesn't do it. I still think this feature will arrive in the final gdr3. Its just a personal opinion.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The WP blog post doesn't mention email.attachments. That was only reported on WPC.
http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...ate-plus-a-new-developer-preview-program.aspx

If that's the case then so be it. However with that said, I don't think this is something that needs to wait for a system update. Win8 does it perfectly by updating the email client as an app. Somthing that they need to start doing with WP

marcusasdrubal

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
If that's the case then so be it. However with that said, I don't think this is something that needs to wait for a system update. Win8 does it perfectly by updating the email client as an app. Somthing that they need to start doing with WP
To tell the truth it wont update now. I talked to some devs and they told me that is API's restriction that avoid to attach on e-mail. WP8 apps (even native) can't go to documents folders, videos or etc. That it is why whatsapp u cant send videos from your library. Again poor job of MS.

Richard Davis3

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey Microsoft, are you listening? Every single person who asks 'Oh a windows phone, whats it like?' when they see mine hears, AT LENGTH, about how broken the phone is for business purposes due to the inability to add multiple email attachments in reply to a client query.

They hear AT LENGTH about how if they want a phone which is good for sending pics of yourself and social networking then WP8 is no worse than Android/iOS, but if you want an actual business tool then buy an Android. Every single person who asks me about my WP hears about how they should buy an Android phone unless they are a hormonal teenager or an ***** in which case they should probably just go with iOS.

Who exactly was this OS made for? I'm so upset by this fail that I am seriously considering moving to ChromeOS on the desktop in protest and will definately never ever buy another WP.

Mantraxalos

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You should post this on the WP Team Developer page.

Hey Microsoft, are you listening? Every single person who asks 'Oh a windows phone, whats it like?' when they see mine hears, AT LENGTH, about how broken the phone is for business purposes due to the inability to add multiple email attachments in reply to a client query.

They hear AT LENGTH about how if they want a phone which is good for sending pics of yourself and social networking then WP8 is no worse than Android/iOS, but if you want an actual business tool then buy an Android. Every single person who asks me about my WP hears about how they should buy an Android phone unless they are a hormonal teenager or an ***** in which case they should probably just go with iOS.

Who exactly was this OS made for? I'm so upset by this fail that I am seriously considering moving to ChromeOS on the desktop in protest and will definately never ever buy another WP.

outback15

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Open a file, long press, share, and choose the email acct to send it frm. That was how it was done pre and post amber. I heard on GDR3 you can now attach on an email "reply". Not sure though. I don't have GDR3.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Announcing our third Windows Phone 8 update

Edit: I believe WPC knows what it's talking about, so I would think that attaching office files from the email app will come in gdr3. Its just that this preview doesn't do it. I still think this feature will arrive in the final gdr3. Its just a personal opinion.

Yep you're right. MS didnt' announce any change to e-mail attachments so this IS NOT AN ENHANCEMENT. I've quickly run through all the WPC post regarding this and there's no mention of it either. I was reading all this late last night and I think maybe one of the articles may have mentioned it and perhaps it's since been removed. This could well be an 8.1 feature.

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
What i am wondering is that, if photos library can be accessed why is it restricted for docs and videos libraries... Is the photo library more secure and the other not secure and they restrict? Or just that ms want to restrict for restricting sake? And saving of our data too why can photos be saved in common library and not videos?

Richard Davis3

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Far too difficult; why on earth would I want to open my email app, read an email, close the email app, open ANOTHER app, and then use that to send an email? Thats just stupid and anybody who does it needs to get some self respect (and a new phone). MS stuffed up their email app on WP8 and it needs to be fixed, end of story. Also what about multiple emails, what about files which i dont happen to have an app to open, or which dont expose a share function? Just stupid.`

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
If you have the docs in one drive, then metro mail is a perfect solution to attach docs while replying to an email.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Nope hasn't changed at all.

You mean this hasn't changed in 8.1 either? This is why I said in another thread that I honestly don't believe that Microsoft execs or Nokia execs use WPs for their daily drivers unless they have secret business apps or an entirely different OS not available to the public. How on earth am I to use WP as a true business phone?

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
You mean this hasn't changed in 8.1 either? This is why I said in another thread that I honestly don't believe that Microsoft execs or Nokia execs use WPs for their daily drivers unless they have secret business apps or an entirely different OS not available to the public. How on earth am I to use WP as a true business phone?

Edit: Nope it remains the same, you have to do it from the Office Hub. I can't use this as a business phone. It is so stupid of Microsoft not to have added this first version of the OS. Also you still can't attach multiple photos together ?in the messaging app at the same time, you have to do them one by one still.. Sucks!!

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can attach multiple images to an email but not videos.

wp_ss_20140513_0002.pngwp_ss_20140513_0003.png

You are better of sharing one drive links to documents or folders if your collaborating on projects. Yes, it is moronic that the email hub defaults to the pictures when trying to add an attachment. Along with the fact that you can only attach one document to the email.. Drove me bonkers I can tell you.

The OneDrive method imo is much better as not only you and your colleague can use webapps. But also don't have the problem with multiple versions of an attachment floating around.

Edit: Updated post with images.

Also this is the solution I used, I created folder in my work's one drive email, shared the folder with my account that is tied to my phone along with a folder shortcut (copied the link with edit permissions) so I can store it on my pc at work and at home. Voila I could edit work documents on my phone, at work and at home - completely in sync. Same worked for collab folders with colleagues.

Last edited:

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Nope it remaimns the same, you have to do it from the Office Hub. I can't use this as a business phone. It is so stupid of Microsoft not to have added this first version of the OS. Also you still can't attach multiple photos together at the same time, you have to do them one by one still.. Sucks!!

Ok, so I thought it was just me. So you can't attach multiple images...well now that's a whole other issue. You're right...there is no way I can use this as a business phone. Do you think that the MSFT execs actually use WP for their business phones? I have a hard time believing that they do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077