07-28-2014 03:48 AM
72 123
tools
    I'm very sad for my L920 won't have more columns!!! Actually I need it!
    nohra likes this.
    10-14-2013 05:47 PM
    10-14-2013 07:15 PM
    I really wanted this, too. :(

Was hoping there was truth to it after that 920 showed up with the three rows of tiles...
    nohra likes this.
    10-14-2013 07:40 PM
    I'm very sad for my L920 won't have more columns!!! Actually I need it!
    don't be silly, the small tiles would then be too small to press
    stickyshocker likes this.
    10-14-2013 07:53 PM
    1020 didn't get it either (unless I'm missing something, but pretty sure I am not).
    Would be nice if it was an option that could be toggled. I don't care if the small tiles would become tiny, I want more on my lockscreen.

MOAR!!!
    Shodan_HR and nohra like this.
    10-14-2013 07:59 PM
    yeah. ms did it again.
    no 6 rows tiles for all current devices.
    latest flagship lumia 1020 become "old" again
    time to switch
    Made in flanders likes this.
    10-14-2013 09:33 PM
    It's not just the pixels. It has more to do with the physical size of tiles. Five small tiles may barely fit if they shrink them further but packing six of them would make them too small to tap easily on 92x and 1020.
    10-14-2013 10:58 PM
    I bet its just a registry setting that enables and disables the extra tile column.

Would anyone with an interop unlocked Samsung Ativ with GDR3 be able to hunt for this? I know only Samsungs currently have a vulnerability that allows interop unlock and therefore it won't benefit all us Lumia users but would be interesting to find out...
    10-15-2013 04:55 AM
    I bet its just a registry setting that enables and disables the extra tile column.

Would anyone with an interop unlocked Samsung Ativ with GDR3 be able to hunt for this? I know only Samsungs currently have a vulnerability that allows interop unlock and therefore it won't benefit all us Lumia users but would be interesting to find out...
    XDA is the place for that. I would start a post in the DEV hacking for it...

WPcentral is a great source for Windows Phone info and discussion no question but, not for hacking devices, XDA is the place for that....

I would bet this is a simple registry setting someplace for enabling it or making Windows Phone *THINK* it has a 1080p screen (could be questionable results tho)

I'm with everyone else here, out of all the features on GDR3, this is the one I wanted the most....besides closing apps with the X, I dont notice anything else new with GDR3 for day to day use...
    10-15-2013 08:37 AM
    Good. 92x devices don't need it.
    I still find it amazing that people say things like "920s don't need this". We don't need smartphones, period, but we still get them for some reason. We don't need cameras on our phones, but for some reason they're there. We definitely don't need facebook, twitter, texting, email, and games on our phones, but it's there. The whole point of these phones are to be tools to make our lives easier, and if smaller tiles make some people's lives easier, why dog it?

I was super excited about this possibility as some of my small tiles take up too much real estate as is (settings, for example). I totally understand the arguments that it would look cluttered, and those are very valid. But settings never shows any 'live' data, so I don't need it to take up as much room as my email tile that will show me number of new messages. It could be equally argued that the WP8 small tiles make things too cluttered, so why not go back to WP7 when we just had two tiles per row, and maybe the occasional double-wide? Heck, why not just one tile per row like the Kirk's Nokia in Star Trek 09 had??

But don't just say "it's not needed" just because you don't want it. If you don't want it, that's fine, but your desire is just as valid as the person who does want it.
    10-15-2013 09:55 AM
    I don't want extra column. It would look too small and cluttered on this size screen.
    10-15-2013 10:08 AM
    I don't want extra column. It would look too small and cluttered on this size screen.
    Options would be nice, however.
    10-15-2013 01:59 PM
    I have 7 across on my Lumia 810

wp_ss_20131015_0007.jpg
    10-15-2013 02:51 PM
    I think Daniel mentioned on some post/video that non-1080p phones MAY get the extra tiles at some point. I think he really emphasized "may" though.
    10-15-2013 03:01 PM
    Options would be nice, however.
    If they make it an option, I'm worried they would make that the only way to set it up.
    10-15-2013 07:13 PM
    How so? I highly doubt that'd be the case. It's not like one you choose your theme color, it's written in blood and bound for eternity, is it?

Speaking of which, I think such a toggle would fit very nicely in the theme colors setting page. Just underneath where you select the color, here would be some sort of toggle (whether it be a check box, on-off switch, whatever...) that says: "Display more live tiles on the Start Screen (Will reduce tile size)?"
    10-15-2013 07:34 PM
    Okay, view this on your phones right now.

The small tiles are just too small. don't be dumb and say "NO IT'S NAHTT" it is, and for Microsoft to ship that would just look bad on them.
    10-15-2013 09:22 PM

http://i1.wp.com/www.igyaan.in/wp-co...andit_1080.png

The small tiles are just too small. don't be dumb and say "NO IT'S NAHTT" it is, and for Microsoft to ship that would just look bad on them.
    That actually displays really nicely on my Lumia 1020, I think I'm in love...

I was worried it would be too small, due to all the rows (I still want three columns, but I was worried rows could kill it). But no, looking at this render on my Lumia 1020 looks fantastic, I love it! Way to go, now I'm feeling even more bitter about how we don't get a toggle.... Say what you will, but to these teenage eyes, it looks awesome, soooo much content at a glance, I LOVE IT!!!! And the icons aren't too small for my fingers either (granted, I do have disproportionately small hands and fingers...).

This is a perfect example of why a toggle would be nice. Some will love it, some won't. All I know is, I really want this now, more than before...
    DavidinCT, nohra and qsr786 like this.
    10-15-2013 09:50 PM
    One word for all your problems. FOLDERS!!!!!! What we need is FOLDERS!!!
    nohra likes this.
    10-15-2013 10:29 PM
    That actually displays really nicely on my Lumia 1020, I think I'm in love...

I was worried it would be too small, due to all the rows (I still want three columns, but I was worried rows could kill it). But no, looking at this render on my Lumia 1020 looks fantastic, I love it! Way to go, now I'm feeling even more bitter about how we don't get a toggle.... Say what you will, but to these teenage eyes, it looks awesome, soooo much content at a glance, I LOVE IT!!!! And the icons aren't too small for my fingers either (granted, I do have disproportionately small hands and fingers...).

This is a perfect example of why a toggle would be nice. Some will love it, some won't. All I know is, I really want this now, more than before...
    While I do agree a toggle would be nice, I do understand why Microsoft doesn't allow it on 4.5 screens. The small tiles will only work with some of the market.
    10-16-2013 07:27 AM
    I'm struggling to understand why anyone would find this desirable. That screenshot looks like a cluttered mess.

My big worry is when 1080p resolutions start showing up on smaller screen sizes and we're stuck with this barrage of tiles. I can appreciate giving people choices, as long as I have the option to preserve the current look. I don't need the kind of information overload I'm seeing with these bigger screens.
    You know what, it's not that I needed it but, I would of wanted the option.... Only thing I would see is more games on the home screen with out scrolling up and down, I could have small tiles surrounding a larger tile. I found that atractive.

As it was one of the features that we were kind of quoted that would come (nothing in the press statement saying it was for 1080p only), I was expecting it and there for disapointed about it...even witha 720P display that could handle it and still look good...
    nohra likes this.
    10-16-2013 09:05 AM
    XDA is the place for that. I would start a post in the DEV hacking for it...

WPcentral is a great source for Windows Phone info and discussion no question but, not for hacking devices, XDA is the place for that....

I would bet this is a simple registry setting someplace for enabling it or making Windows Phone *THINK* it has a 1080p screen (could be questionable results tho)

I'm with everyone else here, out of all the features on GDR3, this is the one I wanted the most....besides closing apps with the X, I dont notice anything else new with GDR3 for day to day use...
    Hello,

I am a developer on XDA and I can confirm that what he mentioned is IMPOSSIBLE.

The Start screen is called Start.dll, and they are optimized by its screen size so Start.dll is only for a certain resolution. Therefore, if you switch Start.dll with one from a 1080p device, your device simply will stop working.
    SwimSwim, qsr786 and Acryion like this.
    10-16-2013 11:20 AM
    I'm struggling to understand why anyone would find this desirable. That screenshot looks like a cluttered mess.

My big worry is when 1080p resolutions start showing up on smaller screen sizes and we're stuck with this barrage of tiles. I can appreciate giving people choices, as long as I have the option to preserve the current look. I don't need the kind of information overload I'm seeing with these bigger screens.
    How many tiles are displayed is based on screen size, not resolution.
    10-16-2013 01:55 PM
    How many tiles are displayed is based on screen size, not resolution.
    It is actually based on resolution.

Reason that 1080p is chosen to have 3 rows of tiles has been calculated by a forum member. It is so that no new tile size needs to be introduced to avoid annoyance to developers. What he mentioned was right. An OEM could make a 4inch 1080p screen for its clarity, but inconvenient to its end-users because when you have a higher resolution on a smaller display, everything becomes really small.

720p uses 16:9 aspect ratio
    1080p also uses 16:9 aspect ratio, therefore, apps optimized for 720p need not be optimized for 1080p but they can do so to maintain clarity.

WXGA (1280x768) uses a 15:9 aspect ratio
    WVGA (480x800) also uses a 15:9 aspect ratio which is why on WXGA devices, WP7 apps appear normal but on 720p/1080p devices there will be a black bar ontop because of the ratio difference.

This is the first time Windows Phone has 4 screen resolutions in 2 different aspect ratios, making it more fair as 720p devices felt left out.

Don't believe your Lumia's use 15:9? Watch a normal YouTube video on a Lumia, there will be a box to zoom in to full screen. On Lumia's, it zooms in but cuts slightly at the sides, while on a 720p device (ATIV S, ATIV S Neo and HTC 8X) there is no difference.

Its abit of a mistake to have 1280x768, as that resolution isn't that mainstream, as people prefer 16:9 as most widescreen videos are 16:9. Probably introduced it to improve backward compatibility.
    Acryion likes this.
    10-16-2013 02:08 PM

http://i1.wp.com/www.igyaan.in/wp-co...andit_1080.png

This looks quite nice on my 8x, but do agree that the icons are small but not something my fat fingers couldn't handle. Unless your hand is so unsteady im sure most could handle it as think of the size of the on screen keyboard, how tiny are they but we all manage don't we?
    nohra likes this.
    10-16-2013 02:17 PM
72 123