07-28-2014 04:48 AM
72 123
tools
    This looks quite nice on my 8x, but do agree that the icons are small but not something my fat fingers couldn't handle. Unless your hand is so unsteady im sure most could handle it as think of the size of the on screen keyboard, how tiny are they but we all manage don't we?
    Yeah I mean it's easy to press the small icon when the start screen is static, but I know that i am quite quick with my phone. I move my finger to where it is supposed to be before the screen even renders and yes I do make mistakes occasionally and click the wrong tile. I cant imagine how much worse it would be if they were EVEN smaller. And the keyboard argument doesnt hold well. The keyboard can correct itself for you, but clicking on the wrong app can't be fixed.

And again, yes the option would be nice, but the results would be less then perfection which is unacceptable for Microsoft.
    10-16-2013 03:27 PM
    It is actually based on resolution.

Reason that 1080p is chosen to have 3 rows of tiles has been calculated by a forum member. It is so that no new tile size needs to be introduced to avoid annoyance to developers. What he mentioned was right. An OEM could make a 4inch 1080p screen for its clarity, but inconvenient to its end-users because when you have a higher resolution on a smaller display, everything becomes really small.

720p uses 16:9 aspect ratio
    1080p also uses 16:9 aspect ratio, therefore, apps optimized for 720p need not be optimized for 1080p but they can do so to maintain clarity.

WXGA (1280x768) uses a 15:9 aspect ratio
    WVGA (480x800) also uses a 15:9 aspect ratio which is why on WXGA devices, WP7 apps appear normal but on 720p/1080p devices there will be a black bar ontop because of the ratio difference.

This is the first time Windows Phone has 4 screen resolutions in 2 different aspect ratios, making it more fair as 720p devices felt left out.

Don't believe your Lumia's use 15:9? Watch a normal YouTube video on a Lumia, there will be a box to zoom in to full screen. On Lumia's, it zooms in but cuts slightly at the sides, while on a 720p device (ATIV S, ATIV S Neo and HTC 8X) there is no difference.

Its abit of a mistake to have 1280x768, as that resolution isn't that mainstream, as people prefer 16:9 as most widescreen videos are 16:9. Probably introduced it to improve backward compatibility.
    Based on what I read, the 3x5 Start Screen layout kicks in on 5" devices. Then, once a device reaches 6", the OS very subtly changes to display more info. Nothing major, but apps like emails or the People Hub will show more at once, resulting in less scrolling necessary. 5" devices only get to take advantage of the new Start Screen layout.
    10-16-2013 08:13 PM
    Can people please stop referring to columns as rows? Not the same thing.
    spaulagain and Acryion like this.
    10-17-2013 12:34 AM
    Can people please stop referring to columns as rows? Not the same thing.
    Agreed, columns = vertical

rows = horizontal.
    Acryion likes this.
    10-17-2013 08:59 PM
    at least there must be one small tile added in column , as there is still wasted space available for existing phones . example lock screen covers more areas then tiles at edges of screen and space between the tiles can be also minimized . so if its is used carefully one small tile can be added without any problem i guess.
    10-19-2013 04:50 AM
    10-19-2013 05:01 AM
    I see the devs over at XDA have found the registry key to enable the extra column and people with an interop unlocked Samsung Ativ S can make use of it, as I thought

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_500 using Tapatalk
    SwimSwim and Acryion like this.
    10-20-2013 03:54 PM
    Okay, view this on your phones right now.

http://i1.wp.com/www.igyaan.in/wp-co...andit_1080.png

The small tiles are just too small. don't be dumb and say "NO IT'S NAHTT" it is, and for Microsoft to ship that would just look bad on them.
    Yes, the image you supplied is very busy and hard on the eyes.

But I think this (from WindowsPhoneDaily.com) is more what those of us who want the 3 medium across sizes are expecting it would look like, and I think this is more what it would look like on a 920 rather than cramming a 1520 screen onto 4.5 inches. Not to mention the use of more single-color tiles. This is what I was expecting to make my screen look like; mostly composed of medium, 3-across, tiles, some double tiles, and few tiny tiles.
    gdr3screen.png

Haters of the small tiles, worry not: 920s are not getting smaller tiles. But this is what I what I pictured more than anything, with the small tiles not being super tiny, but just enough to accommodate 3 medium across.

10-21-2013 11:12 AM
    Odd that you'd see the additional tiles on the 1320 when its screen resolution is 768x1020 (which to me seems to be a typo anyway, likely meant 1280), but not even an option for it on the 92x/1020. Mistake, imo.

Personally I wouldn't mind smaller "small" tiles.
    10-22-2013 11:37 AM
    Given that MS has now confirmed that the 3-column layout is based on screen size rather than screen resolution, I withdraw the idea that MS wouldn't scale the tiles, but stand by the idea that they are not introducing another tile size for developers and are enforcing" their minimum touch target guideline. I shouldn't have suggested no scaling, given that so much of the Silverlight-based layout assumes scaling for higher-res devices.
    nohra and Acryion like this.
    10-23-2013 06:36 AM
    Agree with the above comment. Being based on Screen size makes a whole lot more sense.

That said, I would still like the option for the extra rows on a smaller screen.
    nohra and Acryion like this.
    10-23-2013 09:18 AM
    Well then, the most logical conclusion would be that for 4.5+ devices to use 3 medium tiles in a row, for 4.3 devices to use 2 medium +1 small tiles in a row and for under 4.3 to remain at 2 medium tiles.

If my L820 would look like the one from Haris Aziz's post , I would declare myself satisfied.
    10-30-2013 07:47 AM
    After using smaller tiles for a week (samsung ativ s with reg hack for smaller tiles) , I can say I dont get any issue with hitting the wrong icon.

Apps I use when in my car are set to medium (like swipe tunes and bluetooth shortcut), so they are easy to hit when driving.

The only gripe I have with the small size tile is its impossible to read live updating text on them. So I just use small for apps without live text (like sky news, webpages, settings etc).

Msoft should release this hack as a operating system setting in 8.1 so people can choose to fit more on screen, if they wish to sacrifice tile size (This shouldnt affect developers as it seems to be a rendering setting rather than actually changing the tiles size, as all tiles I have running are rendering just fine).

With this hack I finally I dont have to scroll up or down to launch the apps I use on a daily basis as it all fits on the screen now.
    11-01-2013 06:45 AM
    I made a suggestion in the Uservoice part of Windows Phone websites. I don't know if you know what it is, but it's like a suggestion-box where all WP users can bring their ideas and let the admins know where to improve in building the next WP update. I really want the third row even on my Lumia 820 and I bet someone else is interested! Here is the link to the suggestion:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ll-windows-pho

Please give 1, 2 or 3 votes to this, so that it can grow and be visible to other people. Through this way, we obtained custom SMS tones in GDR3, and also the task manager. Take a look even to other suggestions, as they may be interesting for you!
    12-14-2013 04:51 PM
    but lumia 630 & 635 have 3 tile column in videos of windows phone 8.1 preview how is only for 1080p it need all higher lumias like 920+above series like as glance.
    04-11-2014 12:47 AM
    but lumia 630 & 635 have 3 tile column in videos of windows phone 8.1 preview how is only for 1080p it need all higher lumias like 920+above series like as glance.
    This thread was at the time of GDR3, the announcement of 1520 and 1320 (first 3 column devices). Don't be panicked you'll get your third column for your windows phone in a week.
    04-11-2014 12:53 AM
    but its optional so this is not the actual reason like fat finger.......etc.....
    04-11-2014 01:04 AM
    but its optional this is not the actual reason like fat finger........... etc...........
    04-11-2014 01:05 AM
    This looks quite nice on my 8x, but do agree that the icons are small but not something my fat fingers couldn't handle. Unless your hand is so unsteady im sure most could handle it as think of the size of the on screen keyboard, how tiny are they but we all manage don't we?
    But its optional so why? This is not the actual reason(fat fingers).
    04-11-2014 01:10 AM
    Based on what I read, the 3x5 Start Screen layout kicks in on 5" devices. Then, once a device reaches 6", the OS very subtly changes to display more info. Nothing major, but apps like emails or the People Hub will show more at once, resulting in less scrolling necessary. 5" devices only get to take advantage of the new Start Screen layout.

Mostly windows phone users have 4.5" screen with higher lumias like 920 to 1020. So i think +0.5 inch screen is not a big difference.
    04-11-2014 01:15 AM
    They definitely said that devices with a 4.5" display and up will get the option. I've read that multiple times on multiple site. Simply said none of us have in our have in our hands a final build or even the preview version. They did say they needed this time to work some things out. And I'm preeeetttyy sure we will have the option. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I know I've heard it many times.

Either way, I understand both sides. I would prefer the option of more tiles, and I don't think it would be too small. There are many smaller elements in our UI such as the send button for texts and emails. Its fine!!! Don't fret guys its just an option after all.

Edit: so reading into it some more, it looks pretty iffy. Some say maybe, some say 4.5" and up, some say 5" and up. We will just have to wait!
    Last edited by darkest.white; 04-11-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    04-11-2014 01:26 AM
    I watched a ton of video's before i purchased my 920 [came from iOS]in the beginning of may/july.
    But still i think 720p screens could handle 6 columns
    The resolution it was referring to in your vidors was the camera.
    07-28-2014 04:48 AM
72 123