No extra tile row for the lumia 920?

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Alright i found the specs, its 720p *sadface*

So i guess one of the reviews i watched before i bought my 920 was bull****ing me with ''1080p screen''

There is definitely not a reputable website that claimed the 920 had a 1080p screen... That was the whole point of gdr3 anyways. Before that Windows phone didn't even support 1080p.

Although I'm sad my 928 won't get it, I was looking forward to that :(

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
There is definitely not a reputable website that claimed the 920 had a 1080p screen... That was the whole point of gdr3 anyways. Before that Windows phone didn't even support 1080p.

Although I'm sad my 928 won't get it, I was looking forward to that :(
I watched a ton of video's before i purchased my 920 [came from iOS]in the beginning of may/july.
But still i think 720p screens could handle 6 columns

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm struggling to understand why anyone would find this desirable. That screenshot looks like a cluttered mess.

My big worry is when 1080p resolutions start showing up on smaller screen sizes and we're stuck with this barrage of tiles. I can appreciate giving people choices, as long as I have the option to preserve the current look. I don't need the kind of information overload I'm seeing with these bigger screens.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Come on, folks, think about it...Developers aren't being asked to support a new tile size. That would indicate that the actual dimensions of the tiles will remain the same.

On a 720p device, the Start screen width is apportioned as follows:
15px left margin
336px left tile
18px inter-tile gap
336px right tile
15px right margin
-------- -----------------
720px total width

If you throw another 18px gap and another 336px tile, you get 1,074px. Simply increase the left and right margins to match the 18px inter-tile gaps and you have 1,080 with no scaling and no new tile size.

Introducing a new tile size puts load on developers. Introducing scaling has the potential to make existing tiles, particularly ones based on imagery, look slightly soft or blurry.

A third tile will remain the domain of devices with 1,080 horizontal pixels. I'd bet that it's likely that that resolution won't be used for devices smaller than 5" diagonal both because that's what Microsoft has consistently said and because having six touch targets on a screen that's 62mm wide results in objects just 10.3mm across without gaps -- and that's already bordering on the 9mm minimum set forth of MS's design guidelines. (It violates those guidelines when you factor in the 2mm gaps that MS wants between touch targets. Apple also wants a minimum of about 7mm for touch targets.)

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not just the pixels. It has more to do with the physical size of tiles. Five small tiles may barely fit if they shrink them further but packing six of them would make them too small to tap easily on 92x and 1020.

thefreeronnies

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I bet its just a registry setting that enables and disables the extra tile column.

Would anyone with an interop unlocked Samsung Ativ with GDR3 be able to hunt for this? I know only Samsungs currently have a vulnerability that allows interop unlock and therefore it won't benefit all us Lumia users but would be interesting to find out...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I bet its just a registry setting that enables and disables the extra tile column.

Would anyone with an interop unlocked Samsung Ativ with GDR3 be able to hunt for this? I know only Samsungs currently have a vulnerability that allows interop unlock and therefore it won't benefit all us Lumia users but would be interesting to find out...

XDA is the place for that. I would start a post in the DEV hacking for it...

WPcentral is a great source for Windows Phone info and discussion no question but, not for hacking devices, XDA is the place for that....

I would bet this is a simple registry setting someplace for enabling it or making Windows Phone *THINK* it has a 1080p screen (could be questionable results tho)

I'm with everyone else here, out of all the features on GDR3, this is the one I wanted the most....besides closing apps with the X, I dont notice anything else new with GDR3 for day to day use...

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Good. 92x devices don't need it.

I still find it amazing that people say things like "920s don't need this". We don't need smartphones, period, but we still get them for some reason. We don't need cameras on our phones, but for some reason they're there. We definitely don't need facebook, twitter, texting, email, and games on our phones, but it's there. The whole point of these phones are to be tools to make our lives easier, and if smaller tiles make some people's lives easier, why dog it?

I was super excited about this possibility as some of my small tiles take up too much real estate as is (settings, for example). I totally understand the arguments that it would look cluttered, and those are very valid. But settings never shows any 'live' data, so I don't need it to take up as much room as my email tile that will show me number of new messages. It could be equally argued that the WP8 small tiles make things too cluttered, so why not go back to WP7 when we just had two tiles per row, and maybe the occasional double-wide? Heck, why not just one tile per row like the Kirk's Nokia in Star Trek 09 had??

But don't just say "it's not needed" just because you don't want it. If you don't want it, that's fine, but your desire is just as valid as the person who does want it.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think Daniel mentioned on some post/video that non-1080p phones MAY get the extra tiles at some point. I think he really emphasized "may" though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro