No extra tile row for the lumia 920?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
How so? I highly doubt that'd be the case. It's not like one you choose your theme color, it's written in blood and bound for eternity, is it?

Speaking of which, I think such a toggle would fit very nicely in the theme colors setting page. Just underneath where you select the color, here would be some sort of toggle (whether it be a check box, on-off switch, whatever...) that says: "Display more live tiles on the Start Screen (Will reduce tile size)?"

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, view this on your phones right now.

evleaks_bandit_1080.png

The small tiles are just too small. don't be dumb and say "NO IT'S NAHTT" it is, and for Microsoft to ship that would just look bad on them.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

http://i1.wp.com/www.igyaan.in/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/evleaks_bandit_1080.png

The small tiles are just too small. don't be dumb and say "NO IT'S NAHTT" it is, and for Microsoft to ship that would just look bad on them.

That actually displays really nicely on my Lumia 1020, I think I'm in love...

I was worried it would be too small, due to all the rows (I still want three columns, but I was worried rows could kill it). But no, looking at this render on my Lumia 1020 looks fantastic, I love it! Way to go, now I'm feeling even more bitter about how we don't get a toggle.... Say what you will, but to these teenage eyes, it looks awesome, soooo much content at a glance, I LOVE IT!!!! And the icons aren't too small for my fingers either (granted, I do have disproportionately small hands and fingers...).

This is a perfect example of why a toggle would be nice. Some will love it, some won't. All I know is, I really want this now, more than before...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That actually displays really nicely on my Lumia 1020, I think I'm in love...

I was worried it would be too small, due to all the rows (I still want three columns, but I was worried rows could kill it). But no, looking at this render on my Lumia 1020 looks fantastic, I love it! Way to go, now I'm feeling even more bitter about how we don't get a toggle.... Say what you will, but to these teenage eyes, it looks awesome, soooo much content at a glance, I LOVE IT!!!! And the icons aren't too small for my fingers either (granted, I do have disproportionately small hands and fingers...).

This is a perfect example of why a toggle would be nice. Some will love it, some won't. All I know is, I really want this now, more than before...

While I do agree a toggle would be nice, I do understand why Microsoft doesn't allow it on 4.5 screens. The small tiles will only work with some of the market.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm struggling to understand why anyone would find this desirable. That screenshot looks like a cluttered mess.

My big worry is when 1080p resolutions start showing up on smaller screen sizes and we're stuck with this barrage of tiles. I can appreciate giving people choices, as long as I have the option to preserve the current look. I don't need the kind of information overload I'm seeing with these bigger screens.

You know what, it's not that I needed it but, I would of wanted the option.... Only thing I would see is more games on the home screen with out scrolling up and down, I could have small tiles surrounding a larger tile. I found that atractive.

As it was one of the features that we were kind of quoted that would come (nothing in the press statement saying it was for 1080p only), I was expecting it and there for disapointed about it...even witha 720P display that could handle it and still look good...

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
XDA is the place for that. I would start a post in the DEV hacking for it...

WPcentral is a great source for Windows Phone info and discussion no question but, not for hacking devices, XDA is the place for that....

I would bet this is a simple registry setting someplace for enabling it or making Windows Phone *THINK* it has a 1080p screen (could be questionable results tho)

I'm with everyone else here, out of all the features on GDR3, this is the one I wanted the most....besides closing apps with the X, I dont notice anything else new with GDR3 for day to day use...

Hello,

I am a developer on XDA and I can confirm that what he mentioned is IMPOSSIBLE.

The Start screen is called Start.dll, and they are optimized by its screen size so Start.dll is only for a certain resolution. Therefore, if you switch Start.dll with one from a 1080p device, your device simply will stop working.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm struggling to understand why anyone would find this desirable. That screenshot looks like a cluttered mess.

My big worry is when 1080p resolutions start showing up on smaller screen sizes and we're stuck with this barrage of tiles. I can appreciate giving people choices, as long as I have the option to preserve the current look. I don't need the kind of information overload I'm seeing with these bigger screens.

How many tiles are displayed is based on screen size, not resolution.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
How many tiles are displayed is based on screen size, not resolution.

It is actually based on resolution.

Reason that 1080p is chosen to have 3 rows of tiles has been calculated by a forum member. It is so that no new tile size needs to be introduced to avoid annoyance to developers. What he mentioned was right. An OEM could make a 4inch 1080p screen for its clarity, but inconvenient to its end-users because when you have a higher resolution on a smaller display, everything becomes really small.

720p uses 16:9 aspect ratio
1080p also uses 16:9 aspect ratio, therefore, apps optimized for 720p need not be optimized for 1080p but they can do so to maintain clarity.

WXGA (1280x768) uses a 15:9 aspect ratio
WVGA (480x800) also uses a 15:9 aspect ratio which is why on WXGA devices, WP7 apps appear normal but on 720p/1080p devices there will be a black bar ontop because of the ratio difference.

This is the first time Windows Phone has 4 screen resolutions in 2 different aspect ratios, making it more fair as 720p devices felt left out.

Don't believe your Lumia's use 15:9? Watch a normal YouTube video on a Lumia, there will be a box to zoom in to full screen. On Lumia's, it zooms in but cuts slightly at the sides, while on a 720p device (ATIV S, ATIV S Neo and HTC 8X) there is no difference.

Its abit of a mistake to have 1280x768, as that resolution isn't that mainstream, as people prefer 16:9 as most widescreen videos are 16:9. Probably introduced it to improve backward compatibility.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

http://i1.wp.com/www.igyaan.in/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/evleaks_bandit_1080.png

This looks quite nice on my 8x, but do agree that the icons are small but not something my fat fingers couldn't handle. Unless your hand is so unsteady im sure most could handle it as think of the size of the on screen keyboard, how tiny are they but we all manage don't we?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
This looks quite nice on my 8x, but do agree that the icons are small but not something my fat fingers couldn't handle. Unless your hand is so unsteady im sure most could handle it as think of the size of the on screen keyboard, how tiny are they but we all manage don't we?

Yeah I mean it's easy to press the small icon when the start screen is static, but I know that i am quite quick with my phone. I move my finger to where it is supposed to be before the screen even renders and yes I do make mistakes occasionally and click the wrong tile. I cant imagine how much worse it would be if they were EVEN smaller. And the keyboard argument doesnt hold well. The keyboard can correct itself for you, but clicking on the wrong app can't be fixed.

And again, yes the option would be nice, but the results would be less then perfection which is unacceptable for Microsoft.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It is actually based on resolution.

Reason that 1080p is chosen to have 3 rows of tiles has been calculated by a forum member. It is so that no new tile size needs to be introduced to avoid annoyance to developers. What he mentioned was right. An OEM could make a 4inch 1080p screen for its clarity, but inconvenient to its end-users because when you have a higher resolution on a smaller display, everything becomes really small.

720p uses 16:9 aspect ratio
1080p also uses 16:9 aspect ratio, therefore, apps optimized for 720p need not be optimized for 1080p but they can do so to maintain clarity.

WXGA (1280x768) uses a 15:9 aspect ratio
WVGA (480x800) also uses a 15:9 aspect ratio which is why on WXGA devices, WP7 apps appear normal but on 720p/1080p devices there will be a black bar ontop because of the ratio difference.

This is the first time Windows Phone has 4 screen resolutions in 2 different aspect ratios, making it more fair as 720p devices felt left out.

Don't believe your Lumia's use 15:9? Watch a normal YouTube video on a Lumia, there will be a box to zoom in to full screen. On Lumia's, it zooms in but cuts slightly at the sides, while on a 720p device (ATIV S, ATIV S Neo and HTC 8X) there is no difference.

Its abit of a mistake to have 1280x768, as that resolution isn't that mainstream, as people prefer 16:9 as most widescreen videos are 16:9. Probably introduced it to improve backward compatibility.

Based on what I read, the 3x5 Start Screen layout kicks in on 5" devices. Then, once a device reaches 6", the OS very subtly changes to display more info. Nothing major, but apps like emails or the People Hub will show more at once, resulting in less scrolling necessary. 5" devices only get to take advantage of the new Start Screen layout.

Haris Aziz

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
at least there must be one small tile added in column , as there is still wasted space available for existing phones . example lock screen covers more areas then tiles at edges of screen and space between the tiles can be also minimized . so if its is used carefully one small tile can be added without any problem i guess.

thefreeronnies

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I see the devs over at XDA have found the registry key to enable the extra column and people with an interop unlocked Samsung Ativ S can make use of it, as I thought

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_500 using Tapatalk

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the image you supplied is very busy and hard on the eyes.

But I think this (from WindowsPhoneDaily.com) is more what those of us who want the 3 medium across sizes are expecting it would look like, and I think this is more what it would look like on a 920 rather than cramming a 1520 screen onto 4.5 inches. Not to mention the use of more single-color tiles. This is what I was expecting to make my screen look like; mostly composed of medium, 3-across, tiles, some double tiles, and few tiny tiles.
GDR3screen.PNG

Haters of the small tiles, worry not: 920s are not getting smaller tiles. But this is what I what I pictured more than anything, with the small tiles not being super tiny, but just enough to accommodate 3 medium across.

:cool:

Fallakin

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Odd that you'd see the additional tiles on the 1320 when its screen resolution is 768x1020 (which to me seems to be a typo anyway, likely meant 1280), but not even an option for it on the 92x/1020. Mistake, imo.

Personally I wouldn't mind smaller "small" tiles.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Given that MS has now confirmed that the 3-column layout is based on screen size rather than screen resolution, I withdraw the idea that MS wouldn't scale the tiles, but stand by the idea that they are not introducing another tile size for developers and are enforcing" their minimum touch target guideline. I shouldn't have suggested no scaling, given that so much of the Silverlight-based layout assumes scaling for higher-res devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo