How Nokia/MS could even think on business market with such poor job

marcusasdrubal

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Today we saw the GDR3 update preview...great news, everybody loves updates.

We also see some Nokia's efforts to gain the business market today, even post a diagram comparing their features to other OS.

But let's be honest, how can gain business market if you can attach files inside the e-mail app? You can only attach one. You can't reply with attachments. You can't send videos ou audio files. Even applications like Whatsapp (That yes, some use for business) I can't even send a movie (presentation) from my library.
How can we gain business market if we do not suppor vpn.
How can MS can even think on that, missing such basic features?

Maps? iOS and Android has free offline maps services.
Office? Google gave Quickoffice free for android and iOS. I have to mention that gmail app is so nice, that you can do everything inside that app.

Really missing opportunities with really poor job. On Business MS will remain good as long Office is still a great thing on our phones, but Quickoffice (free) is growing and we Still lack simple features.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

We also see some Nokia's efforts to gain the business market today, even post a diagram comparing their features to other OS.

But let's be honest, how can gain business market if you can attach files inside the e-mail app? You can only attach one. You can't reply with attachments. You can't send videos ou audio files. Even applications like Whatsapp (That yes, some use for business) I can't even send a movie (presentation) from my library.

Office? Google gave Quickoffice free for android and iOS. I have to mention that gmail app is so nice, that you can do everything inside that app.

Really missing opportunities with really poor job. On Business MS will remain good as long Office is still a great thing on our phones, but Quickoffice (free) is growing and we Still lack simple features.

What the frac are you on about?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Check your facts, before bashing WP?
Maps: Nokia HERE maps are the best and most extensive (cover more countries than any Android or iOS mapping service) maps on any mobile platform and they are OFFLINE, Bing maps also offer offline download.
Office: WP has Word, PowerPoint, Excell, OneNote, Outlook ALL FREE on WP - what are you on about?

.... just can't be bothered to adress the other 'stuff'

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a windows phone? if so, how come you do not know Here maps has had offline maps since launch?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

You don't really get forums, do you? There are different subsections for different subjects. Just because you slightly allude to GDR3, it doesn't mean your half-brained rant belongs here. Post this in the Windows Phone 8 subsection.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought there were already VPN apps available for Windows Phone but I could be wrong. I do know Microsoft has promised official support for 2014. I wouldn't call this basic functionality by any stretch of the imagination. It isn't even critical for anyone in a corporate environment outside of IT. And in what possible scenario would a smartphone be better than a laptop? Chances are if something arises you're going to grab a proper computer. But okay, I can appreciate that the need exists for some.

Offline maps have been available from the start. I find it hard to believe that as a Windows Phone user you wouldn't be aware of this.

Edit: I just realized what you were referring to with email attachments. I'll give you that one, it is a bit ridiculous than you can't add multiple documents, not photos, to emails.

Mep2k

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
There are corporations where you need to use vpn in order to fully use an exchange service when not at the office. The only other option would be through some web login where you get your account in the same manner as a web mail. And that's not really good enough. Dunno if the other OS'es do any better tho. Just saying that people relying on stuff like that would probably disagree on it not being critical to them.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

iOS and Android do not have free offline maps like Here. Here lets you download the entire US.

Native MS Office is ALWAYS, ALWAYS better than the alternatives. Alternatives never have the same level of compatibility.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JamesDax3 What the frac are you on about?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thank you guys. I needed that laugh.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Check your facts, before bashing WP?
Maps: Nokia HERE maps are the best and most extensive (cover more countries than any Android or iOS mapping service) maps on any mobile platform and they are OFFLINE, Bing maps also offer offline download.
Office: WP has Word, PowerPoint, Excell, OneNote, Outlook ALL FREE on WP - what are you on about?

.... just can't be bothered to adress the other 'stuff'

Check what he said again....

He did not say that HERE Maps does not provide offline functionality, just stated that iOS and Android offer similar, though not quite the same level of offline functionality. As for HERE Maps - I am CONSTANTLY switching to either Bing maps or relying on my friend's phones (iPhone or Android) for Google Maps so that I can get accurate mapping. On a recent 30hr relay race going to all sorts of different locations, HERE Maps was only accurate 70% of the time while Google Maps was accurate 100% of the time, the first time. Bing maps was also 100% accurate though not used as frequently as Google Maps. This was in the greater Bay Area. HERE Maps might be good outside of the US but it didn't work well for me and my wife in Mexico (had to use her Google Maps again) or in Victoria BC (again, had to use Google Maps). Nokia is way behind from my REAL WORLD experience. And what is more important in getting to your destination - offline maps that are accurate maybe 70% of the time or maps that require data but are accurate 100% of the time?

And he said nothing about Office not being available on WP... he was stating that Google gives a very comparable software set to Android users, something that the Nokia advert failed to address (they were too specific in targeting MS Office products only)

Gmail and the iOS email apps are insanely more functional than the WP email app...

VPN needs to be built in. Business Software is MS' bread and butter... they need to keep up with the needs of their current customers better than their competitors when it comes to mobile...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Check what he said again....

He did not say that HERE Maps does not provide offline functionality, just stated that iOS and Android offer similar, though not quite the same level of offline functionality. As for HERE Maps - I am CONSTANTLY switching to either Bing maps or relying on my friend's phones (iPhone or Android) for Google Maps so that I can get accurate mapping. On a recent 30hr relay race going to all sorts of different locations, HERE Maps was only accurate 70% of the time while Google Maps was accurate 100% of the time, the first time. Bing maps was also 100% accurate though not used as frequently as Google Maps. This was in the greater Bay Area. HERE Maps might be good outside of the US but it didn't work well for me and my wife in Mexico (had to use her Google Maps again) or in Victoria BC (again, had to use Google Maps). Nokia is way behind from my REAL WORLD experience. And what is more important in getting to your destination - offline maps that are accurate maybe 70% of the time or maps that require data but are accurate 100% of the time?

And he said nothing about Office not being available on WP... he was stating that Google gives a very comparable software set to Android users, something that the Nokia advert failed to address (they were too specific in targeting MS Office products only)

Gmail and the iOS email apps are insanely more functional than the WP email app...

VPN needs to be built in. Business Software is MS' bread and butter... they need to keep up with the needs of their current customers better than their competitors when it comes to mobile...

iOS and Android does not natively offer the same free, offline capabilities as Here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99