New Mobile Accessibility Mode

anon(7923621)

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
In the Ease of Access settings, there is a new option called mobile accessibility. It requires an app to be used (Strangely not made by Microsoft) This app provides a voice guided, simplified interface for those with visual impairments. It has very simplified versions of commons apps.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting find, thanks for sharing. Reminds me a lot of the Ease of Access features, like Voice Over, found in iOS. Shame it's not system wide, I'd love to be able to use it to read web pages aloud when I'm feeling lazy (did that all the time on my iPad).

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You have to launch the app itself to use it, that's how Microsoft decided to implement it. You can, however, go to the Ease of Access Center and enable the app to always launch after entering your lock screen password.

David Lolohea

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
This is where I get lost, I opened the app and am greeted with a notice that says it won't be able to handle phone calls and other events unless I go and allow it in ease of access (which isn't there).

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It should be there. So long as the app is installed, the setting won't be greyed out. Works perfectly fine on my Lumia 1020 (even though I have no use for it, so I have it toggled off).

46967d1381827060-wp_ss_20131015_0001.jpg

Credit for Image goes to PB_H

Sanjay Kumar Singh

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It seems mobile accessibility feature in ease of access setting is not activated for those who got the gdr3 through app studio registration and available only for those who updated to gdr3 through developer account. I uprated to gdr3 through app studio and my 920 is missing with only this feature of gdr3.

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It seems mobile accessibility feature in ease of access setting is not activated for those who got the gdr3 through app studio registration and available only for those who updated to gdr3 through developer account. I uprated to gdr3 through app studio and my 920 is missing with only this feature of gdr3.

That can't be the case, seeing as I only utilized App Developer Studio for my GDR3 upgrade.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Take it from someone who just got bit hard by this app, do NOT use it right now... if you use a lockscreen password, you will NOT be able to access your phone again.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Take it from someone who just got bit hard by this app, do NOT use it right now... if you use a lockscreen password, you will NOT be able to access your phone again.

What this guy said, it's suffering from a critical bug, where if properly enabled, you won't be able to get past your lockscreen (thereby making your only option a factory reset).

I recommend waiting until a patch is available, unless you enjoy losing all your data for the sake of bug testing. :p

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
EUREKA!! Figured it out! Touch the number so that it says it, THEN double-tap the number to enter it, THEN do the next digit in sequence the same way until you enter all digits.

If you double-tap before triggering the announcement of the number, it will NOT register that number.

This is definitely a HUGE bug in how the app works and will be a major frustration to users. Thank goodness I'm patient and troubleshoot stuff first! :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
EUREKA!! Figured it out! Touch the number so that it says it, THEN double-tap the number to enter it, THEN do the next digit in sequence the same way until you enter all digits.

If you double-tap before triggering the announcement of the number, it will NOT register that number.

This is definitely a HUGE bug in how the app works and will be a major frustration to users. Thank goodness I'm patient and troubleshoot stuff first! :)

Uhh, that isn't a bug, that's what I meant by double-tap... It's supposed to help blind/visually impaired users (the kind of people this app is intended for) navigate and select things throughout the OS. So false alarm, we're defaulting back to operator error.... :|

May I once again recommend removing the unfair strike against it?

jamrock60

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

you are correct. If you get lock out of your phone you can still put in your password it just take time you have to tap each letter or number of your password a few times until it register that letter or number

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Uhh, that isn't a bug, that's what I meant by double-tap... It's supposed to help blind/visually impaired users (the kind of people this app is intended for) navigate and select things throughout the OS. So false alarm, we're defaulting back to operator error.... :|

May I once again recommend removing the unfair strike against it?

No. This is awful design. Double-tap isn't the issue. The issue is that you have to slowly triple tap, and there is ZERO opportunities to learn how to use it before you get hosed up.

That is design flaw, pure and simple.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
How would any one know how that works, especially someone visually impaired?!

And btw, the point of testing is to try things out and voice feedback. I'm an IT guy. I can afford to screw up, but if I need to support it for real users too, so I have high expectations for it to work.

Last edited:

David Lolohea

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the point of the app is for someone who can't completely see, thus using swipe and tap gestures to move around the UI, it isn't much use to people who aren't visually impaired.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte