Developer GDR3 VS Official GDR3

Aleksandr Gurmeza

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What are the differences between this developer gdr3 and the gdr3 that will be officially be out in the upcoming months?
I wanted to know before I do update it. And is it worth updating? I am on L810 (if anyone has same phone and updated)

abominator

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
What are the differences between this developer gdr3 and the gdr3 that will be officially be out in the upcoming months?
I wanted to know before I do update it. And is it worth updating? I am on L810 (if anyone has same phone and updated)

I have a Lumia 810 too, and I only updated because you can close tasks from the multitask view and you can turn off screen rotation. That's worth updating for me (I wanted those features really bad).

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The developer preview is just that: a preview. It's pretty much the same version that will officially be going out in just a months time. Only difference will be bug fixes, minor optimizations and stability improvements. Other than that, what you see now is what you'll be getting in a month's time (well, unless your carrier decides to postpone the update for ages, which it most likely will).

Other improvements, however, not included in this preview would be firmware improvements, such as Nokia's Bittersweet Shimmer. Those are separate, and will be shipped out along with the official release of GDR3 (once your carrier approves it, of course, which could take ages).

On a separate note, loving GRD3 on my Lumia 1020 thus far. Makes an already great phone better, especially rotation lock and the new way of force closing apps! Sure, that's old news on other platforms, but it's nice Microsoft FINALLY caught up. Plus, I'm also celebrating that we now have a way of updating outside the carrier's evil clutches. Hip hip, HURRAY! This will definitely hold me over until Windows Phone 8.1/Blue in January.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty happy as well. Having custom text sounds is one of the main things I was waiting for... That and rotation lock. The "X" button to close running apps and everything else is just icing on the cake!

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in updating my 1020 as well - but won't this be voiding the warranty?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro2_332 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, using the Developer preview will void your warranty.

Microsoft said that just to "Cover their A$$" and if it breaks dont yell at us. And they did not say it WILL break your warrany, they said it COULD. There is a difference.

If your phone broke, or stopped working for some reason, do you honestly think when you bring it into your local store or send it out to Nokia, they are going to check the software versions and void the HARDWARE warrany on it ? If so, it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen...

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it'll void the warranty - I just asked Nokia Care on Twitter and they confirmed that updating to GDR3 via the developer program voids your warranty. I had hoped they wouldn't be this anal, considering that pretty much nothing can happen and their market share should dictate that they should do anything they can to keep their customers happy.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it'll void the warranty - I just asked Nokia Care on Twitter and they confirmed that updating to GDR3 via the developer program voids your warranty. I had hoped they wouldn't be this anal, considering that pretty much nothing can happen and their market share should dictate that they should do anything they can to keep their

customers happy.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it'll void the warranty - I just asked Nokia Care on Twitter and they confirmed that updating to GDR3 via the developer program voids your warranty. I had hoped they wouldn't be this anal, considering that pretty much nothing can happen and their market share should dictate that they should do anything they can to keep their

customers happy.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's the reply I got: "Hi, die Garantie bleibt nur, wenn das Update auf dem gew?hnlichen Weg installiert wird. ,-) VG ^AM"

Translation: the warranty only remains intact if you update using the regular way

milkybuet

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
This is the final update. But unlike the update that reaches the regular consumer, this is only the OS part, and does not include any OEM customization. They put the whole thing in one package because of the carriers.
For example GDR2 combined with Nokia’s tweaks was called Amber. This is only GDR3, and not “Bittersweet Shimmer”, which will have glance screen update for instance.

Pinal Patel

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The developer preview is just that: a preview. It's pretty much the same version that will officially be going out in just a months time. Only difference will be bug fixes, minor optimizations and stability improvements. Other than that, what you see now is what you'll be getting in a month's time (well, unless your carrier decides to postpone the update for ages, which it most likely will).

Other improvements, however, not included in this preview would be firmware improvements, such as Nokia's Bittersweet Shimmer. Those are separate, and will be shipped out along with the official release of GDR3 (once your carrier approves it, of course, which could take ages).

On a separate note, loving GRD3 on my Lumia 1020 thus far. Makes an already great phone better, especially rotation lock and the new way of force closing apps! Sure, that's old news on other platforms, but it's nice Microsoft FINALLY caught up. Plus, I'm also celebrating that we now have a way of updating outside the carrier's evil clutches. Hip hip, HURRAY! This will definitely hold me over until Windows Phone 8.1/Blue in January.

So after updating Lumia 1020 to GDR3 do you see any improvement in the yellow tinting in the photos? I am assuming you noticed the yellow tint in photos when running Amber update.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So after updating Lumia 1020 to GDR3 do you see any improvement in the yellow tinting in the photos? I am assuming you noticed the yellow tint in photos when running Amber update.
This would probably be fixed in a firmware update not an os update !!!

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Indeed, that fault lies with Nokia's Camera Algorithms (assuming you're using Nokia Pro Cam). It's possible the default camera app has received improvements, but not Nokia Pro Cam (would require either a firmware or an app update).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett