Rotation lock is poorly implemented

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
While we've all wanted rotation lock since the beginning of WPs life, the implementation is poor and just too strict. You can lock it to either be in portrait, or left/right landscape. With regards to the landscape option, why would anyone bother with that? WPs landscape support has always been terrible despite proper Windows 8 being used on widescreen displays. I avoid landscape in most apps because just rotating a portrait simply doesn't work if you use a large font for a pivot so you end up with a large amount of text on screen and very little else. Now most of us are likely to use the lock with portrait so we can lay in bed and read stuff etc but without a quick toggle, it becomes a jarring experience for when you do need to to view content in landscape such as taking a photograph or viewing photos as these are currently stay locked.

The settings within Windows Phone 8 is also getting out of hand. It's a real mess and despite using WP7 since Feb 2011, I still have no idea where a majority of things are. Anything relating to the screen should all be condensed into a single page rather than 1 option for multiple pages.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm hoping they will throw a more granular version of it in the new "control panel/notification center implementation with 8.1. It definitely needs to be more easily accessed to be practical.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The settings within Windows Phone 8 is also getting out of hand. It's a real mess and despite using WP7 since Feb 2011, I still have no idea where a majority of things are.

I've always thought that about the Settings menu in WP8. It's a jumbled disorganized nightmare.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Right now I would consider it a stopgap until whatever solution they really want is possible (maybe in a notification center like fwaits said).

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping for some sort of quick settings in 8.1, or at least be able to pin toggles to the start screen for various settings.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've never understood the need for rotation lock in the first place. Mainly cause I have no trouble at all using my phone in bed.

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes at least sort them alphabetically. Very thankful to have gdr3 today. You're absolutely right though, the settings menu is getting out of hand

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping they make some quick on/off setting available in the volume quick settings, something like in iOS 6(haven't used iOS 7) you double tap the home button and you of course see your multitasking, but when you swipe right you can press screen rotation on or off.

Butiulca Tudor

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I found a bug, if auto rotate screen is off when you go to settings - about phone the screen will still rotate, it's only me ? I am using samsung ativ s

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, now that we have a lock, it makes me want an exceptions list like "Photos" and "Internet Explorer". I do almost everything in Portrait, but photos and IE should always autorotate just to be useful with their content. Not sure how to feel about this setting, but it definitely feels incomplete.

Oh, and I totally agree about Settings. The disorganization of it is really becoming aggravating.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Maybe eventually they'll organize settings under Tiled categories, there's really no need for certain things to be separated the way they are now.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This is either the Windows Phone team being completely out of it (sadly possible), but I'd sooner bet that they've already developed a quick settings interface for a future release and this is pretty much a back-port to get the feature out there.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I also dont care for having rotation lock and although it seems like the implementation was slightly off...people are still complaining lol. Meh, we can only hope the option to pin settings sections to start or a notification center type will be available 8.1.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I like Windows Phone, but a quick access menu is sorely missing. WebOS was more advanced than WP in many ways and it died a long time ago.

WP's best hope is that it basically be becomes WinRT, which has a much better interface.

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I looked a bit after locking the rotation lock in portrait mode, 2 things I noticed were wrong, First camera was not locked, and had UI issue in Right Landscape orientation, also the about section under setting was free to have any orientation.
Currently using Nokia L 520, With GDR3, Happy that I am able to preview it, While some folks and f**ls were saying that it won't get GDR3 and Bitter Sweet Shimmer.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The fact we have a setting at all is long over-due and a great start, but I agree. All commonly accessed settings are really hard to find and involve digging through the settings menu to access. It's really annoying, we need something akin to Apple's Control Center (yes, I know Android came up with the concept first before anyone tries to patronize me).

Windows Phone is an awesome OS, and things like GDR3 only make it better, but man, they really need to pick up the pace here. I know Microsoft has always liked to take things slow, but in this fast moving, mobile internet driven world, there's no time for stagnation. They need to act, and they need to act now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077