E-mail attachments is not a new feature in GDR3

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
There's quite a few comments and threads about e-mail attachments being a new feature in GDR3. I thought I'd create this post to clarify that it is isn't (correct me if I'm wrong).

MS didnt' announce any change to e-mail attachments so this IS NOT AN ENHANCEMENT. I've quickly run through all the WPC posts regarding GDR3 and there's no mention of it either. I was reading the first bunch of GDR3 posts late last night (aussie time) and I do have feeling it may have been mentioned in one of the articles and perhaps it's since been removed, but attaching e-mails is still the way it used to be, which is to open the Office app, hold the document and share via email. You can do this with xls, doc and and pdf's you've downloaded and opened from your SkyDrive.

I still badly want this feature though to be able too attach any file from the e-mail app so hopefully it will come in 8.1

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm agreeing with you, drg. I can still only attach pictures while already in an email. I still have to open Office to send a doc via email...

Nik Rolls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I usually send a link from SkyDrive. That way I'm not uploading the file yet again, and it solves the no-attachment-on-reply issue because I can just copy/paste the link into the email.

It would be good to have the attachment window enhanced though as it could then also be used for HTML file inputs. Ideally, there would be an API where apps would register themselves as 'file providers', and then in your attachment window you would see a list of apps you could choose from. Tapping on one would poll the app for a list of usable files (the app itself defines these at the time), and you could multiselect the ones you want.

If this could be used by third party apps then it would also go most of the way to solve the 'no file manager' complaint.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
...Ideally, there would be an API where apps would register themselves as 'file providers', and then in your attachment window you would see a list of apps you could choose from. Tapping on one would poll the app for a list of usable files (the app itself defines these at the time), and you could multiselect the ones you want.

If this could be used by third party apps then it would also go most of the way to solve the 'no file manager' complaint.

You mean the file chooser, as seen in Windows RT and 8, (which will likely be coming soon as WinRT and WinPRT become closer to being fully merged).

What you're looking for is the file chooser.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
There's quite a few comments and threads about e-mail attachments being a new feature in GDR3. I thought I'd create this post to clarify that it is isn't (correct me if I'm wrong).

MS didnt' announce any change to e-mail attachments so this IS NOT AN ENHANCEMENT. I've quickly run through all the WPC posts regarding GDR3 and there's no mention of it either. I was reading the first bunch of GDR3 posts late last night (aussie time) and I do have feeling it may have been mentioned in one of the articles and perhaps it's since been removed, but attaching e-mails is still the way it used to be, which is to open the Office app, hold the document and share via email. You can do this with xls, doc and and pdf's you've downloaded and opened from your SkyDrive.

I still badly want this feature though to be able too attach any file from the e-mail app so hopefully it will come in 8.1

This!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I swear there was an article or a thread talking about them adding the ability to attach a document from an email..... maybe it was a 8.1. feature..

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I swear there was an article or a thread talking about them adding the ability to attach a document from an email..... maybe it was a 8.1. feature..

Wpcentral said they added this feature, that the new feature is that you can do it in the email app instead of opening the office app. However, it remains the same, and still have to use the app. Why would microsoft say it's a new feature yet not add it?

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm a fan of the X and I don't care about multitasking like windows 8.
But I too see the email attachments management as the worse implementation ever... I hope at least MS releases the new SDK with the ability to attach any file to the EmailComposeTask class.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This was the feature reportedly coming to GDR3. I took a look at all the WPC articles indicating this and they've all been modified to remove that statement. The inability to attach a document to a reply email has been a complete pain, let alone not being able to attach multiple files.

Skydrive doesn't work in all situations unfortunately. This is a big draw back for anyone wanting to use WP in enterprise, as was indicated on the original WPC articles before it was removed. Hopefully we see this in WP8.1. It's one of the features that I'm waiting for and if it doesn't come I'm changing platforms.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
There's always a chance that we see it in gdr3 before it goes final, but I'm not optimistic. Hopefully, it will be included as part of 8.1 if it doesn't find it's way to the 3 release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6