Want a tile to open screen rotation settings? Download and sideload this XAP file!

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That's an unsupported address on my phone. Even if you did get it working, it isn't removed from memory. So when you press back, you'll go back to internet explorer, not the start screen.

sManowar

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
That's an unsupported address on my phone. Even if you did get it working, it isn't removed from memory. So when you press back, you'll go back to internet explorer, not the start screen.

First, open any website, and select "add to favorites". From there, you can enter that script and save it. Works like a charm.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
?

To sideload an app or game, you'll need to have an SD card that contains one or more Windows Phone app files, also known as .XAP files. You can download .XAP files to your PC, and then move the files to the phone's SD card.

Vesane Vates

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
just save a java script to the IE favorites
View attachment 47033

But you can't pin IE favourites to Start, so what's the point of this? It doesn't save you any steps, in fact it takes more taps to go into IE, tap more, tap favourites and open that script than to use an app pinned to start.
That being said, seeing as I can't actually deploy the xap on my phone (don't have Windows SDK because I don't have Windows 8 or a mini-sd slot), I would really like to be able to use the javascript workaround instead, if we could figure out a way to pin it to start...

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
But you can't pin IE favourites to Start, so what's the point of this? It doesn't save you any steps, in fact it takes more taps to go into IE, tap more, tap favourites and open that script than to use an app pinned to start.
That being said, seeing as I can't actually deploy the xap on my phone (don't have Windows SDK because I don't have Windows 8 or a mini-sd slot), I would really like to be able to use the javascript workaround instead, if we could figure out a way to pin it to start...
just download the app wiztiles (its very useful even before this trick)and you can make a custom tile redirect to that address.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Can you produce the same for battery saver?
That would be worth buying instead of these worthless "battery apps" that drain the battery,
don't update and show you how much your battery is discharging per hour in large
part because the battery app is causing it. To have a shortcut to the battery saver
which actually shows the correct % and where you can turn it OFF/ON is sorely needed.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
?

To sideload an app or game, you'll need to have an SD card that contains one or more Windows Phone app files, also known as .XAP files. You can download .XAP files to your PC, and then move the files to the phone's SD card.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't work... I believe the .xap published by the OP is directly from his own build, whereas the .xap files you download from the WP Store depend on a WP Store listing to successfully install.

Vesane Vates

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
just download the app wiztiles (its very useful even before this trick)and you can make a custom tile redirect to that address.

Thanks for the tip re wiztiles; didn't know that app.
However, trying to make a browser tile that redirects to a javascript insertion does not work, at least not on my device.

So, other than installing Windows SDK on a Windows 8 computer or having to open up the IE favourites list,
does anyone have a way of getting the auto-rotate icon on the start screen or installing this xap (can someone post a link directly to the xapdeploy exe?)?

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The javascript sometimes doesn't work. It does not load when you are not on a website, or if you have a new tab. In order to deploy xaps, you must first have a developer account before you could even unlock your phone, and this also requires WP8 SDK (which is about 1.6GB).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
?

Yes and no. Marketplace apps are encrypted, There for you need to download to a SD card and when you attempt to install them, they will connect to the marketplace and confirm your licence for the app.

Now, not trying to go into QUESTIONABLE content here. If the Dev does not upload it to the marketplace or finds away around the enctyption, you can "sideload" the app with the DEV kit and application deployment app in the SDK.

The best/easiet way to tell if a XAP is unencrypted is to download it, rename myapp.xap to myapp.zip and try to open it in Windows or WInzip. If it opens, you can side load it with the dev kit, if it give an error "invalid file" or something like that, it is ENCRYPTED and you need to put it on a SD to install. XAP files are just ZIP files but, when it hits the marketplace it's encrypted.

So everyone here knows, the attached link to the above XAP is unencrypted so you would need to Sideload it with the SDK...(BTW, The WP8 SDK requres Windows 8 x64 to run, so if your on Windows 7, your out of luck but, there is a hack on XDA how to install it on WIndows 7 BUT, it needs to be x64)

Does this clear it up for everyone ?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no. Marketplace apps are encrypted, There for you need to download to a SD card and when you attempt to install them, they will connect to the marketplace and confirm your licence for the app.

Now, not trying to go into QUESTIONABLE content here. If the Dev does not upload it to the marketplace or finds away around the enctyption, you can "sideload" the app with the DEV kit and application deployment app in the SDK.

The best/easiet way to tell if a XAP is unencrypted is to download it, rename myapp.xap to myapp.zip and try to open it in Windows or WInzip. If it opens, you can side load it with the dev kit, if it give an error "invalid file" or something like that, it is ENCRYPTED and you need to put it on a SD to install. XAP files are just ZIP files but, when it hits the marketplace it's encrypted.

So everyone here knows, the attached link to the above XAP is unencrypted so you would need to Sideload it with the SDK...(BTW, The WP8 SDK requres Windows 8 x64 to run, so if your on Windows 7, your out of luck but, there is a hack on XDA how to install it on WIndows 7 BUT, it needs to be x64)

Does this clear it up for everyone ?

LMAO :winktongue: no

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss