GDR 3 update woes and solutions

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Afternoon all,

As my one year warranty is due to expire soon on my Lumia 920 I decided to take the plunge and unlock the developer mode and download GDR 3 onto my phone on Monday night.

After a days use I was regretting it, when I was taking the phone off charge the battery was at around 80% and it was draining quickly down to around 30% by the end of the day with an average drain of 4 or 5% per hour. I was also getting other strange bugs and my phone was resetting.

Last night I decided to wipe my data and restart the phone using the new GDR3 feature of restoring on WiFi and today the phone is performing back to my high expectations set by GDR2 and the Amber update. I've had 0 crashes, I took the phone off charge about 11 hours ago and I have 72% battery remaining. So back to 2% drain per hour.

So if your having problems with your 920 and GDR 3 just do a clean start and she'll be working like a dream :)

Hope this helps someone who had the same problems as me.

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The restore by WiFi just means you can restore all your texts and settings over WiFi, before you had to use your mobile data to download it, which is a pain for us that aren't on unlimited internet plans as it can eat a lot.

I don't know how you've got 8%, I've got the 2 apps everyone says drains their battery whatsapp and Skype. I let everything run in the background, the only battery saving measures I've got is turning Bluetooth and NFC off. This morning I took the phone off charger and I didn't touch my phone for an hour when I looked at the battery app it said 0%, I've never seen it say 0 before.
The highest I've seen mine is 4% and that's if I'm streaming music on wifi or had the screen on a long time.

littlejay

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The restore by WiFi just means you can restore all your texts and settings over WiFi, before you had to use your mobile data to download it, which is a pain for us that aren't on unlimited internet plans as it can eat a lot.

I don't know how you've got 8%, I've got the 2 apps everyone says drains their battery whatsapp and Skype. I let everything run in the background, the only battery saving measures I've got is turning Bluetooth and NFC off. This morning I took the phone off charger and I didn't touch my phone for an hour when I looked at the battery app it said 0%, I've never seen it say 0 before.
The highest I've seen mine is 4% and that's if I'm streaming music on wifi or had the screen on a long time.

I don't have either of those apps and only the battery app in the background.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I know this post wont be 920 related but i put gdr3 on my 520 last night and have zero issues. My battery is better, my other storage is better as well.
I did a hard reset after i installed gdr3 and started from scratch instead of using a backup then updated all the system tools and its perfect.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
after gdr3 update on my 920 battery life was quite bad for a few days, but had just (after 3 days) gone absolutely rock solid, its like 92% after 8 hours of use from full charge!! i have a feeling if you had just waited a few days it would have ended up the same as you did after the wipe, in other words i am not convinced a wipe was required

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
after gdr3 update on my 920 battery life was quite bad for a few days, but had just (after 3 days) gone absolutely rock solid, its like 92% after 8 hours of use from full charge!! i have a feeling if you had just waited a few days it would have ended up the same as you did after the wipe, in other words i am not convinced a wipe was required

It is a pain having to restore a phone after a factory reset but it is usually worth the effort if problems arise after an update.
I factory reset my 920 after I updated it to Amber and it's running really well. It has also fixed the "Others" storage problem. Previously the folder would take 2.5 - 3 GB of space but now it hovers around the 500 MB region.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Well I'd waited 4 days and I was getting random reboots, but it's all sorted now and everything is playing well with eachother. Roll on the Bittersweet update details now on Tuesday :) I'm hoping it's done in the same way as this update and bypassing my terrible mobile phone company. Keyword = Hoping

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's Nokia world on Tuesday so we can see the Lumia 1520 which will be running bittersweet so we'll get the full rundown on that update.

So far I've seen 2 things
1) Glance screen having notifications (so glance is finally useful)
2) Nokia pro and smart cam becoming one app that can do everything

Lenin17301

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to charge my Lumia 920 or to use it as an USB drive as usual since the GD3 update, any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte