Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This might not be the right forum to answer this question:
So I'm an electrical engineering major in college right now and I'm trying to learn more languages seeing as all they really teach us in my undergrad courses is c and assembly. Both are useful to us because we will mostly be doing low level programming but I want to learn more high level languages. I was learning c# for a little bit as I get a MS developers license and visual studio pro for free because I'm a student. The thing is that I feel that Java will be better to learn first before c# because it seems a little bit more marketable than c#. what do you guys think, should I jut continue doing c# on the side or should I take a break, learn Java, then c#? What other languages would you suggest I learn as well?

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I have never tried java, but one big advantage with C# is that you can use that to develop for Windows Phone and Windows Store :wink:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My CS class taught Java, so I have some basic Java under my belt.

But I'm trying to learn C# as of now because the VMs Java is often seen in isn't very attractive to me.
Also, it means I can program for WP and Windows.

On the other hand, Java is Android's language IIRC.

what I noticed is that they're pretty similar on the basic level.

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
As a student, you will eventually learn that if you can learn one programming language, you can recognize similarities between the programming languages you already know and any further ones you are trying to learn and pick up on the new languages faster (as a former Microsoft Student Insider, I should know). If you're learning C now, you should be able to pick up C++ with little to no problem (as C++ is backwards-compatible with C by design), and C++ is a valid choice for Windows Phone/Windows 8 development (although there might be some limitations for using C++ for Windows Phone development). As for C# vs Java, Java is similar in design to C#. Some characteristics shared between Java and C# include things like being object-oriented, dot notation for accessing functions and fields/properties of instances of object, and creating variables. Eventually, you will get to a point where you start to notice the differences between the two languages such as the way to assign and remove event handlers and C#'s use of indexers which can treat object instances as if they were arrays being accessed. If you go with continuing on with C#, C# is also used for ASP.NET development.

Since you say you are a student, you should check to see if your school has a premium Dreamspark account (the premium Dreamspark account used to be a MSDNAA account). With a premium account, you can get more goodies then a normal Dreamspark account (like Visual Studio Ultimate). As an engineering student, you fall into the list of students eligible for a Dreamspark premium account if your school offers them. For your convenience, I should have a working link to Dreamspark in my forum sig.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism