My first app! Shortcuts for Windows Phone

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Edit: Tentative logo below. Opinions? I'm an amateur at graphic design honestly.
View attachment 54552

Hey Windows Phone Central!

I'm currently working on my first publishable app EVER, out of any mobile platform. It's a very basic concept that I bet any developer more experienced than I could make in less than the time it took me, but I had a lot of fun making this app, along with the frustrating hours spent trying to figure out stuff!

So, I present to you, "Shortcuts for Windows Phone" - An app that saves you time when it comes to online services. Ever needed to quickly shorten a URL, but didn't feel like going through the effort of logging into one of the sites, pasting a URL, all that?

Xd41JmK.jpg
yDrt7NU.jpg

Shortcuts has a feature for that! Simply drop any URL in, click "Shorten" or hit the Enter key on your phone's keyboard, and swiftly the app will retrieve a shortened version for you, brought to you by TinyURL.

But, that's not all. Ever wanted to upload a picture, but didn't want to have to deal with downloading an app such as Skypath, or using sites like Flickr, Photobucket, or even SkyDrive?
Forget that annoyance, let's make it easy.

09aLTLN.jpg
6vXPmhK.jpg
W8bFXoj.jpg

Simply click the Choose Image button, choose an image from your photos, and click Upload! Just as swiftly as with the URL shortener, your picture will be uploaded to Imgur, a free image-hosting service that does not limit how many photos you can upload in total. The only limit, I believe, is something like only 50 pictures a day per IP address. Don't have an Imgur account? No problem! Your image will be uploaded anonymously, so there's no need for putting passwords anywhere.

Sure, the app's interface is not the prettiest by far, but I'm not much for interface design, I'm more of a code-oriented person. Of note, though, is the app looks quite pretty when the phone is in it's light theme. The app works, and I'm really proud of myself for making this. If anybody has any suggestions for more Shortcut-ish features (as these are shortcuts to shorten a url quick / upload a picture quick), do let me know so I can work on that feature :)

Anyway, that's my first app. Fairly simple compared to other apps out there, but I certainly had fun making it :)

Edit: Here is the .xap in case you are interested in testing for me :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPXkURzr0iTVGxlN2pmRmZxWVE/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I figured I would bump this thread, to say the app will be submitted to the store soon. I spent some time yesterday working on a logo, and I feel the one I've chosen is quite nice. I'm not at all the best at graphic design, so please do critique:
Shortcuts Logo.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo