Migrating Windows Phone 8 app to Windows Tablet app

kathir velu

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Do Windows Phone 8 Application developed for Windows Phone 8 device will run on Windows Surface Tablets(RT&8.1)? Kindly clarify me.

Could you please suggest me on, what are the changes required for migrating the application.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Do Windows Phone 8 Application developed for Windows Phone 8 device will run on Windows Surface Tablets(RT&8.1)? Kindly clarify me.

Could you please suggest me on, what are the changes required for migrating the application.

NO, both have different market place (store) , there are some apps freshpaint by Microsoft which is available on both windows 8 store as well as windows phone store;
in simple term its all up to developer if he wants to create a windows 8 app that already exists in windows phone store or vice-versa

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
No, Windows Phone programs will not run on Windows 8(.1) out of the box. Fortunately, some of the apis are shared between Windows Phone and Windows 8. Aside from programming language basics (such as async and await, both which were adopted for Windows Phone from Windows 8), the following list will tell you what in the Windows Runtime will work with Windows 8 and what is phone-specific.

djgreedo

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the app and the developer's skill it may be easy or very hard to port from Windows Phone to Windows 8/RT (or vice versa).

You can create apps using the same languages, and for the most part share most of the code. But you will have to create a different UI for each (though you can re-use some UI code). If an app is coded with compatibility in mind it can be quite trivial to convert between the platforms.

I have just recently ported my game Puzzle Detective from Windows Phone to Windows 8/RT, and most of the code was simply re-used. The user interface was completely redone because the phone UI didn't suit a larger screen.

In future I expect the two platforms to become even more similar and easier to port between.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss