MS' unequal treatment to developers

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone feels mad that some developers got access to private API while others don't? For example, pocket file manager and UC browser now have the ability to write files to SD Card.

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I mean it makes sense from a security standpoint to only give special access to trusted devs. I mean a dev probably could corrupt the SD card, so they need to be extra careful

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I mean it makes sense from a security standpoint to only give special access to trusted devs. I mean a dev probably could corrupt the SD card, so they need to be extra careful

Agreed. You can't just have some random developer getting that kind of system access.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. You can't just have some random developer getting that kind of system access.

what you said is true. but if the playing field is not equal, how can a new developer compete against a more established app when they have better API access? It leaves a bitter taste. I don't think other platforms have this issue.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
what you said is true. but if the playing field is not equal, how can a new developer compete against a more established app when they have better API access? It leaves a bitter taste. I don't think other platforms have this issue.

iOS doesn't because there is no SD card or communal storage to access.
Android is a wild west of functionality. Its reasonable for MS to be worried about the potential security risks of rogue apps from anybody.
I understand its unfair, but its understandable why they would do such a thing.

yea, that was my first thought when I saw the posts about those apps. I wonder how they will do it going forward? a second tier of screening?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
iOS doesn't because there is no SD card or communal storage to access.
Android is a wild west of functionality. Its reasonable for MS to be worried about the potential security risks of rogue apps from anybody.
I understand its unfair, but its understandable why they would do such a thing.

yea, that was my first thought when I saw the posts about those apps. I wonder how they will do it going forward? a second tier of screening?

not only SD Card access. There are apps with access to video library while others can't. At least they should make it public that certain restricted APIs exist and tell us the condition to get access to them. It's not cool like this.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
not only SD Card access. There are apps with access to video library while others can't. At least they should make it public that certain restricted APIs exist and tell us the condition to get access to them. It's not cool like this.

yeah, I kinda agree with that. It would be nice if they at least said what you have to do to get that kind of access, but at least some devs are getting it because that gives us some advantages over iOS.

Also, I imagine that the video API might be fixed in 8.1 since I don't see that being that much of a security issue, especially since you can access photos.

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Its good that they let uc browser to access SD card like storing videos saving videos to SD card uc is the best downloader.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720