Want to get into Development, could use some guiding

Hellhog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I downloaded some SDKs before but lost it all after swapping computers. Now while downloading the 8.1 dev preview, I've decided to download the 8.0 SDK, 8.1 SDK, and all the emulator updates. I'm still rather confused amongst all of the updates and SDKs but I'm sure after messing around I will learn in time.

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the used coding languages. I was watching some videos off of Microsoft's site and had some idea to what I was looking at but not enough to understand it. XAML, Visual Basic, XNA, C++, C#, etc. I don't know or understand any of those languages. I only know a decent amount of MATLAB, a little NCL, a little NetCDF, a decent amount of FORTRAN, and a little of HTML. Outside of that, I'm illiterate I guess you could say.

Are there any online lectures or books or some type of resource that you would recommend I use to learn what is necessary for app development? For now I just want to get into it as a hobby and maybe see where that takes me. Thanks!

Expression2

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well you can always search for books in libraries. Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows RT allows programming with HTML and WinJS. XNA has already been phased out and is replaced with full native DirectX, only supported by C++. There are third party managed libraries that helps invoke DirectX through P/invoke, but that is not recommended since that greatly hinders performance. Learning C++ is greatly recommended since there is now managed code support for C++ and can reach to lower levels such as DirectX.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte