Windows Phone 8.1 development tutorial/book

pavlli

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
please do you know about some materials (video tutorials, books, etc..) about Windows Phone 8.1 development for beginners?
Thanks a lot for any info

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I doubt there's a dev tut for 8.1 :/ but you could just make an 8.0 app and then port it to 8.1 :D
Also check youtube for some tut's

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll second the request. I've been all over dev.windowsphone.com and msdn, and it's kind of sketchy. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how the media library has changed. My old apps import to VS-2013 as "Silverlight 8," but I'd like to update them to the new model. No issues moving the code over to a Universal App project, but I'm still having a hard time finding my bearings in the new/changed class libraries.

Prateek Kumar

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm also looking for the same but unable to find any such material. There's no place where one can find how to access music or pictures when coding. Earlier on music could be accessed using XBox media element(something like that) but that doesn't work now.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I think one of the things that I had the hardest time with moving from SL8.0 to 8.1 RT was that of the media library. In the SL way of doing things, there's a nice, hard Library object to go find your music in.

As close as I can tell, in 8.1 RT, you scan the file system manually, which probably explains why the Microsoft music app spends so much time scanning the first time you run it.

I finally gave up on trying to figure out how the SL-RT thing goes, and just pitch pre-existing notions entirely, and just start at the RT ground floor. Doing that Quick Start set of videos that MS published recently also helped.

Prateek Kumar

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I think one of the things that I had the hardest time with moving from SL8.0 to 8.1 RT was that of the media library. In the SL way of doing things, there's a nice, hard Library object to go find your music in.

As close as I can tell, in 8.1 RT, you scan the file system manually, which probably explains why the Microsoft music app spends so much time scanning the first time you run it.

I finally gave up on trying to figure out how the SL-RT thing goes, and just pitch pre-existing notions entirely, and just start at the RT ground floor. Doing that Quick Start set of videos that MS published recently also helped.
Does that have anything related to accessing music on your phone. Anything related to the APIs?

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Does that have anything related to accessing music on your phone. Anything related to the APIs?

Yes, it does (speaking from experience). In the Windows Phone 7.x and 8 SDKs, you had access to the media library through the XNA libraries and everything was organized neatly for you, but the media library and the media queue were read-only to 3rd party devs (so if you wanted to do things like custom playlists, you had to create manual workarounds for them). In the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK, the old Silverlight APIs are being phased out in favor of the (full) WinRT APIs. The WinRT APIs open up access to the music library (through KnownLibraries.MusicLibrary), but the old XNA libraries are gone, so you have to manually scan through folders to access the music library. This is why the default music player in Windows Phone 8.1 takes so long to scan through your music.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720