modifying an app submitted by someone else

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey wanted to know if its possible to continue developing an app keeping the current build which is in the store as a base ..... not with the intent of selling it period. Is it possible??? currently downlaoding visual studio update 2 and will be up and running by tommorow so once i register my phone and am ready will i be able to modify an existing app or have to start from the scratch.......

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
possible, yes, but extremely difficult. You'd first need to get an unencrypted .xap, for which you will need an interop unlocked phone. After that, you can reverse engineer the whole app. If I may ask, what app is it? If you just want to edit some strings you "only" need an interop unlocked phone.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Even the un-encrypted XAP may be insufficient - you would ideally have to reach out to the developer and get the source code.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
yeah visted XDA and found that unencrypting without interop device is not possible as it would break the xap ......cant get my hands on an ativ device, so will still fool around and see, and if not possible might as well learn to code some apps .......... app in question is the music hub tile app which gave access to the old music hub ..... not a fan of paying for a silly shortcut......... would have donated in time but making you reinstall by playing tricks like "vanishing the app icon" that i am not a fan of will try though thanks for the info....... hope to come back wiht real queries one day...thanks

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to tell it to you in an honest manner. The answer is No, not without permission from the original developer. The advice by the posters of reverse engineering the XAP and resubmitting it is not only not allowed and will get you reported and possibly\more than likely banned, its extremely rude.

Seeing as its the Music Hub and I agree that the new Music Hub sucks, you would never get that submitted to the Store. We'll just have to wait and see I I gets better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans