Lumia - updated app uses old-version xaml

Viktor Sze

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm facing extremely strange issue with my Lumia 630:

I'm developer of Realarm app. I have downloaded an app to my phone from Store someday in May. It was version 0.9.4.0 that day. Since then I have updated my app couple of times and always downloaded actual version of app to my Lumia (currently version 0.9.7.0).

Today I have changed Regional settings in my phone from Slovak (sk-SK) to English-USA (en-US) which is also neutral culture in Realarm app. This change of region caused that Realarm no longer uses actual .xaml layouts but instead old version version of xaml is used! Of course that means app crashes when trying to open cerain pages (when there is some conflict between old .xaml - new model).

Another strange thing is that I do not experience this problem on my other phone HTC 8S with WP 8.1DP installed. But my friend with Lumia 820 and WP 8.1DP reports same issue so thus I think its Lumia issue. Edit: Same problem appears on my HTC 8S, when I switched from sk-SK to en-US regional settings.

This problem does not appear on Debug version of app, only on public version from Store.

Here are the images I took today:

Regional format on phone: sk-SK (or any other) - see upcoming features:

Regional format on phone: en-US (neutral culture) - see upcoming features:

Please ignore fact that version is 0.9.7.0 is the same on both of figures (version string is obtained in code). Take a notice at upcoming features, these strings are hardcoded in .xaml. While en-US regional format is set there are clearly missing new features (thats why I assume phone loads old version .xaml file). That fits to version 0.9.4.0 which is first version installed on phone. Also font seems being distorted as I have slightly changed styles in new version so old xaml no longer successfuly finds custom font.

I'm pretty sure I have cleared and rebuilt project in Visual Studio before submiting app to Store, so there should not be any cached files in .xap file. In addition, my friend - developer of Simple Tasks app - reports same issue with his app (on Lumia device).

Is there someone experiencing same issue or can explain this? Thanks

Last edited:

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I've just found a bug, that looks like your's.
I've updated beta version of my game, uploaded it into market, wait for 2 hours (for marketplace servers update cache), I see new version number in market page, but when I download my game to the phone, I'm getting OLD (previous) version! :(
Don't know what to do with this bug :(

Several days ago MS has merged Windows and Windows phone dev centers. May be it's server side problems?

Viktor Sze

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Actually its not similar issue :) Your problem does not introduce any conflicts or app-crashes as in your case whole app is old-versioned so there are no conflicts amongst code. And I'm pretty sure it's Store problem.

I assume my problem is Lumia-related and probably has nothing to do with Store. Reason is that if it is Store problem then also my HTC 8S would suffer same issue but it does not. And as I mentioned above, such version differences amongst code makes my app crash everytime you try open affected page.

Viktor Sze

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
After small research I found out that its not only Lumia issue: Today I changed region on my HTC 8S device from en-US to sk-SK and the issue appeared. So in conclusion:
Lumia: app installed while region was sk-SK -> after app updated and then region changed to en-US -> issue appeared
HTC 8S: app installed while region was en-US -> after app updated and region changed to sk-SK -> issue appeared

Now I'm twice much confused as I have no clue what regional settings cause the issue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss