I would like to develop games for Windows Phone -- Where do I begin?

Sean Lee1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Alright, so I'm currently teaching myself c# and would like to (eventually) develop games for Windows Phone, but I have no idea what I'm doing or where to get started. Unity looks uncomplicated and pretty straightforward, but I don't like the idea of spending $1,500 or $75 /month, as I'm only a novice. I have some experience with Blender, but Blender uses the Python programming language. Any c# game developers out there? What software do you use? And, please, explain to me like I'm 5. ;-)

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If you head over to Microsoft's website you can download Visual Studio Express, which, as a slightly cut-down - but totally free, version of the full blown package. It caters for C# (amongst other), which you want to use. I can't say much as I'm not really a game developer (I've had a look around mostly), but I would say that would be a good starting point if you want to do it for free and as a beginner. And a bit of Binging or Googling (whatever floats your boat) will turn up a plethora of tutorials and guides and such.

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
The easiest way to develop a game - using XNA for Windows Phone 7.1 (you'll need just MS Visual Studio 2012 Express)
The only trouble - XNA has support only for Windows Phone 7.1. It means that your game would run on WP 7, 8, 8.1 devices, but you are limited to features of WP7.1. The main limitation - your games would have maximum resoltuion of 800*480. But they would be automatically upsacled by the OS if they are launched on a higher resolution screen, so nobody would see the difference :)
And it's hard to implement in-app purchase options (but it is real!).

Another way - using monoGame. It's a free framework, that helps you to develop a game, using XNA code, but with WP8.0 or WP8.1 target platform. you can use it with Visual Studio 2012 Express or Visual studio 2013 express, but I would suggest using VS 2012, because it has support for WP8 platform, while WP2013 express is limited to WP 8.1 apps (full version doesn't have this limitations).

Koray Arar

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
You can begin with C++,C# .After that you have to join api's such as direct x ,opengl or if you want more special go on XNA,Cocos2D,Unity,UDK etc.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Alright, so I'm currently teaching myself c# and would like to (eventually) develop games for Windows Phone, but I have no idea what I'm doing or where to get started. Unity looks uncomplicated and pretty straightforward, but I don't like the idea of spending $1,500 or $75 /month, as I'm only a novice. I have some experience with Blender, but Blender uses the Python programming language. Any c# game developers out there? What software do you use? And, please, explain to me like I'm 5. ;-)

Start here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Phone-8-1-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire