To all game developers: MOGA controllers support is here!

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi dear game developers,

I have a good news for you :smile: Probably, you already know about nice looking and very inexpensive Bluetooth game controllers distributed by MOGA company. Unfortunately for us (Windows Phone developers), MOGA dropped platform support shortly after release and announcements. I can't guarantee but (I believe so) by the end of this week just a couple of apps in the store (and old ones!) has a built-in MOGA support...

However now times changed! After a few worthless tries to reach MOGA devs or support (no even byte received in reply!) I decided to write my own driver. The result you may see here or here . It's UWP 8.1 or W10M runtime component, easy to pass Microsoft store certification, extremely easy to use and pretty small (especially comparing with the original MOGA WP8.0 library!).

[UPDATE] I released library as an open source code, available at https://github.com/sensboston/MOGA

Last edited:

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
That's really cool that you made this driver. I didn't know we could make drivers for windows mobile. But how does it work? Can an app not designed specifically for it support it? (e.g. the Universal Emulator), or does an app need to be written using your API?

Anyway, as for the price, I believe you are entitled to receive something for your work indeed, but maybe you could use something different for this, like an IndieGoGo project or something similar. Although I have no idea of course and maybe this has already been working perfectly fine for you.
Good luck.

Update: Though, to be fair, now that I think about it, I don't know if IndieGoGo etc might involve licensing issues.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's not actually a device driver but windows runtime class library (i.e. user space code). I've made it compatible with original MOGA classes but my code was written "from the scratch". Code (or compiled library) can be easily added to any existing WP8.0/8.1/W10M game or app, as I did for my "DOSBox" (an x86 emulator) and "D00M" (PrBoom port for platform) games. Estimated integration time should be not more than one day.

Unfortunately looks like no one is interested :( It's a really pity 'cause indicates that the platform more dead than alive...

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
You should probably market this directly to game developers of games you think might be benefitted with Moga controller support.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You should probably market this directly to game developers of games you think might be benefitted with Moga controller support.
I've sent about twenty emails to the game developers but got no feedback or reply at all. Also tried to advertise my driver on MSDN forums (I've found a few requests/questions about MOGA support on these forums) but my post was deleted immediately by Microsoft moderators :)

As I said before, looks like nobody is interested in platform anymore; indie developers with the simple games don't have enough money not just for my code but for $9 controllers too.

Last edited:

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
You shouldn't assume that because you haven't sold your controller API no one is interested in W10M. Games are still coming out.
But about your sales, all I can do is wish you the best of luck.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't assume that because you haven't sold your controller API no one is interested in W10M. Games are still coming out.
I can assume that 'cause I do have not only this driver but total 20 apps and games in the store with the total 2.5M downloads :D I do have a statistics for a five and half years and OF COURSE I can "assume" and take the real life facts based on the real life statistics and my 25-years developer's experience.

But about your sales, all I can do is wish you the best of luck.
Thank you. What you can do (if you really wanna help) - you may ask your fav games devs to add MOGA support pointing to my post here.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
By the way have you talked to the developer of the Universal Emulator? That is something that could benefit a lot of controller support (Moga, Xbox 🎮 etc)

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No 'cause I don't understand what do you mean by "Universal Emulator". Each controller has own protocol and require time/money for implementation. Theoretically it's possible to create "universal control" for a lot of types of controllers but I'm unsure about financial perspectives of this project.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah, OK! Thanks for letting me know.
Will try to contact developer and probably ('cause his app is 100% free) will offer him a free support for MOGA.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I wished I could play asphalt 8 and my psx emulators again like I did in W8.1, but not that I'm on W10 on my L950. It's back to touch screen controls.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Try to contact developers and provide 'em a link to my repo. I'm especially don't added any license to this library so anyone can re-use this code without any restrictions, even for commercial purposes.

How this library works, you may check by using my apps (link in the first post).

P.S. I also have L-950 and this handset was a primary test phone for this lib :angel:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion