The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-11-2018 12:59 PM
177 1234 ...
tools
    That's unbelievably effective! Thank you everyone who helped. Really nice learning experience.
    Jazmac, txkimmers and gpobernardo like this.
    08-02-2015 09:51 PM
    Awesome!!! Thanks Jazmac!
    When you see 6029KingStephen, buy him a coffee. I got the idea from him. All I did was prove it works then assist in this thread. Edge ain't half bad if you can get rid of noise on the internet. Which proves to me Microsoft Edge will be a force. I still like Spartan though. :)
    08-02-2015 09:55 PM
    Edge screwed up my verizon email. It shows my emails but the left sidebar where my inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.

I don't see how Edge can screw this up. Maybe it's windows 10 ?

I have to use firefox to see everything so I can access my folders ,drafts and sent emails.

Edge is very slow ..shame because I like it ,but it's not ready for prime time.
    08-02-2015 11:33 PM
    Edge screwed up my verizon email. It shows my emails but the left sidebar where my inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.

I don't see how Edge can screw this up. Maybe it's windows 10 ?

I have to use firefox to see everything so I can access my folders ,drafts and sent emails.

Edge is very slow ..shame because I like it ,but it's not ready for prime time.
    Desktop. tablet or phone?
    Laura Knotek and Bluerain like this.
    08-03-2015 12:20 AM
    Congratulations guys, you helped Windowscentral to go out of business that much faster :-)
    08-03-2015 06:02 AM
    Is there any way to apply these changes to your network instead of individual computers? That way it would affect all devices connected to the internet, including phones.
    08-03-2015 09:18 AM
    I have found the best HOSTS file for ad-blocking is currently from: winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

After downloading their HOSTS file, placing it into Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and rebooting, Edge is blazing fast now! Noticeably faster than a similar Chrome or Firefox configured with ad-blocking plugins.

If you want to use Edge, but are put off because support for extensions are not available yet, and thus no ad-blocking extensions can be used, this method is a great temporary solution.
    This site only has descriptions with Windows 8, 7 and Vista. Are you sure its good to go for Edge and Windows 10. And what about the chances of that host file slowing down the pc?
    08-03-2015 10:13 AM
    That's good. Anything to help how Windows Central render because it is a top 5 worst site for me to go to due to the ad publishing/rendering.
    08-03-2015 10:32 AM
    Thanks guys. I ran the bat file and first thing I opened was Windows Central. Everything seems snappy now. Hope this is the last of the Windows bugs for me. But its not. I still can't reboot manually. It just stays on the restart spinning wheel until I pull out the battery than windows will start fine. I knew there would be bugs. But didn't think there would be this many. I'm scared to restart my pc now. But edge is running better so at least I'm happy with that
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-03-2015 10:40 AM
    Desktop. tablet or phone?
    Laptop.

Spam folder ..trash... inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.
    I can read my emails and delete an email and thank God I had it set to go back to emails and not the next email ,otherwise I would have to go thru each one to see them.

I have no access to the left sidebar where all my things are that I mentioned above. It's all white ..I tried to hover my pointer in that area hoping it will work,but pointer does nothing.
    08-03-2015 10:43 AM
    This site only has descriptions with Windows 8, 7 and Vista. Are you sure its good to go for Edge and Windows 10. And what about the chances of that host file slowing down the pc?
    Okay...don't take my word for this. But there's no chance of the hosts file slowing down your PC unless it's above 135 kilobytes. If it is above 135 kilobytes, there's a simple fix to make it so it doesn't slow down your PC, by shutting down the DNS Client.
    08-03-2015 10:48 AM
    That's good. Anything to help how Windows Central render because it is a top 5 worst site for me to go to due to the ad publishing/rendering.
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    08-03-2015 10:48 AM
    Completely agree that Windows Central is a good test case. Our web test team utilizes as a "slow site" in their test matrix. I can appreciate that they have to keep the lights on but the site does really need a diet.
    jlzimmerman, Jazmac and txkimmers like this.
    08-03-2015 10:59 AM
    Laptop.

Spam folder ..trash... inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.
    I can read my emails and delete an email and thank God I had it set to go back to emails and not the next email ,otherwise I would have to go thru each one to see them.

I have no access to the left sidebar where all my things are that I mentioned above. It's all white ..I tried to hover my pointer in that area hoping it will work,but pointer does nothing.
    But if you use Internet Explorer or another browser like Firefox, your email looks correct?
    Bluerain likes this.
    08-03-2015 01:56 PM
    TY Jazmac!! your post proves that you should be the 127.0.0.1 Local Host.
    Have you Tipped Dan on this news to make a tutorial for the other unwashed geeks here ;) Although I doubt he would do it as this site runs heavily on ads :D
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-03-2015 03:17 PM
    If your home router has the option to use static routes you could place them there. 127.0.0.1 is the localhost for every TCP/IP address. The term for this is "blackholing". It would likely be a bit slower than having it local though.
    08-03-2015 04:32 PM
    A host file is not operating system specific. They have been around as long as TCP/IP
    Jazmac, CheDragan and jmshub like this.
    08-03-2015 04:34 PM
    the first thing I did with windows 10 was add a hosts file so I could block ads in Edge. With that in place, its a joy to use.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-03-2015 04:46 PM
    But if you use Internet Explorer or another browser like Firefox, your email looks correct?
    Yes, with firefox it works perfectly as usual . Haven't tried it with Internet Explorer because I can't find it

Where is it hiding in windows 10 ?

Thanks
    08-03-2015 05:25 PM
    TY Jazmac!! your post proves that you should be the 127.0.0.1 Local Host.
    Have you Tipped Dan on this news to make a tutorial for the other unwashed geeks here ;) Although I doubt he would do it as this site runs heavily on ads :D
    No. I haven't tipped him but you sure can alert him to this thread. I've been jaded about tipping those guys on anything I think is important info. And as I think about your comment about ads here, it shouldn't be that big a big deal to them. I generally use Firefox with AdBlock. I'm sure they do too with whatever browser they use.

But feel free to alert them because this is not about me.

No one has truly seen how fast Microsoft Edge really is except for maybe those in this thread. I passed it on to a couple engineers at my job today. They like Edge but after the host file, and they were completely astounded. I got a free Starbucks coming in the morning. :) Winning!
    Last edited by Jazmac; 08-04-2015 at 12:47 AM.
    Skamath and Sunstorming like this.
    08-03-2015 06:51 PM
    Yes, with firefox it works perfectly as usual . Haven't tried it with Internet Explorer because I can't find it

Where is it hiding in windows 10 ?

Thanks
    Just click Cortana and type in Internet Explorer. It'll show up on top.
    Bluerain likes this.
    08-03-2015 06:52 PM
    Internet Explorer is now a Windows Accessory along with lovely programs like Sticky Notes and I believe Notepad.
    I did like Edge before this. I could tell how fast it was because everything loaded quickly, but it took ages to render. Now Edge does both faster.
    08-03-2015 09:38 PM
    Just click Cortana and type in Internet Explorer. It'll show up on top.
    I just did and it's taking me to download IE. I don't want to download it.

I thought W10 left it somewhere on the system ,but I can't find it and don't want to download
    it when I already had it before W10.

Where else should I look ?

Thanks
    08-03-2015 09:47 PM
    I just did and it's taking me to download IE. I don't want to download it.

I thought W10 left it somewhere on the system ,but I can't find it and don't want to download
    it when I already had it before W10.

Where else should I look ?

Thanks
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

or go to Run, type in iexplore then press enter
    Bluerain likes this.
    08-04-2015 12:15 AM
    Okay...don't take my word for this. But there's no chance of the hosts file slowing down your PC unless it's above 135 kilobytes. If it is above 135 kilobytes, there's a simple fix to make it so it doesn't slow down your PC, by shutting down the DNS Client.
    I wasn't sure til I tested it out. But agreed everyone should do this little trick. Its night and day difference.

By the way your quote in your signature. I'm kinda like you. I was all Apple than droid and Microsoft mixture. But now I miss Ios and wished I never would have invested in Droid. But price is keeping me away from Apples products.
    08-04-2015 12:44 AM
177 1234 ...