Edge is behaving, even on Windows Central. Here's why

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Also, how do I change my hosts file to a different hosts file? Do I simply store all my different hosts files (let's say I have the default one and the hosts file that blocks ads) in a different location and simply copy it into the drivers/etc folder, deleting the other one?
Well, to edit the existing host file, the way I do it is this: I first run Notepad or some other text editor as administrator, click Open file from there and navigate to the hosts file, once in the folder change the file type to "all" so I can see the hosts file, then edit it and save. You don't have to do it that way, that's just how I like to do it. Jazmac's instructions work just fine too, potato potahto...

Or you can download a new one and just replace the existing one:

The hosts file that I downloaded, recommended by MartinCal (or by TechAbstract in the post above this one) has a huge list of adserver sites, and it's regularly updated and it's pretty well known, so I just downloaded a copy (I plan to go back and make a donation soon too). It comes in a .zip file along with an installer .bat but you really don't need that. For good habits and to learn, read the ReadMe and Licensing files! Then I just copied the actual hosts file from the zip folder to my desktop. Then I went into the hosts location via file explorer, re-named the existing file hostsOLD and left it in there, then copied or moved the new one into that folder. That's it. You should see the difference as soon as you open Edge, FF or any browser you have.

If you feel weird about the new hosts file, open it in Notepad first and see exactly what it says in there, no harm in that. Just remember it's not actually a text file, so in file explorer you have to choose all file types to view or you won't see it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nice to see this trick works without any caveats on Windows 10, basically what it's doing is pointing the sites to your local host (0.0.0.0 - dead IP in laymen terms) which is why you don't see any adverts. The other advantage of this is that it is System wide and should work with applications like desktop Skype, however I haven't checked this myself on 10 but I do know it works in 7 as I used to use it for Skype (unless it's been patched out).

However such as method plays havoc for me on Windows 7 (lagging sites, limited connection issues even with static IPs set on either the Ethernet or Wi Fi adapter - even in the alternate tab). But this probably could be attributed to the fact IE is embedded into the core of 7 whereas with 10 it is most likely Edge.

Never the less best be cautious, it's not all a bed of roses :winktongue: .

Always keep two copies of the original, as you never know you might end up messing up somewhere along the lines.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Awesome!!! Thanks Jazmac!
When you see 6029KingStephen, buy him a coffee. I got the idea from him. All I did was prove it works then assist in this thread. Edge ain't half bad if you can get rid of noise on the internet. Which proves to me Microsoft Edge will be a force. I still like Spartan though. :)

Bluerain

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Edge screwed up my verizon email. It shows my emails but the left sidebar where my inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.

I don't see how Edge can screw this up. Maybe it's windows 10 ?

I have to use firefox to see everything so I can access my folders ,drafts and sent emails.

Edge is very slow ..shame because I like it ,but it's not ready for prime time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Edge screwed up my verizon email. It shows my emails but the left sidebar where my inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.

I don't see how Edge can screw this up. Maybe it's windows 10 ?

I have to use firefox to see everything so I can access my folders ,drafts and sent emails.

Edge is very slow ..shame because I like it ,but it's not ready for prime time.
Desktop. tablet or phone?

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I have found the best HOSTS file for ad-blocking is currently from: winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

After downloading their HOSTS file, placing it into Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and rebooting, Edge is blazing fast now! Noticeably faster than a similar Chrome or Firefox configured with ad-blocking plugins.

If you want to use Edge, but are put off because support for extensions are not available yet, and thus no ad-blocking extensions can be used, this method is a great temporary solution.

This site only has descriptions with Windows 8, 7 and Vista. Are you sure its good to go for Edge and Windows 10. And what about the chances of that host file slowing down the pc?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That's good. Anything to help how Windows Central render because it is a top 5 worst site for me to go to due to the ad publishing/rendering.

Josh Hearn

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. I ran the bat file and first thing I opened was Windows Central. Everything seems snappy now. Hope this is the last of the Windows bugs for me. But its not. I still can't reboot manually. It just stays on the restart spinning wheel until I pull out the battery than windows will start fine. I knew there would be bugs. But didn't think there would be this many. I'm scared to restart my pc now. But edge is running better so at least I'm happy with that

Bluerain

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Desktop. tablet or phone?

Laptop.

Spam folder ..trash... inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.
I can read my emails and delete an email and thank God I had it set to go back to emails and not the next email ,otherwise I would have to go thru each one to see them.

I have no access to the left sidebar where all my things are that I mentioned above. It's all white ..I tried to hover my pointer in that area hoping it will work,but pointer does nothing.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
This site only has descriptions with Windows 8, 7 and Vista. Are you sure its good to go for Edge and Windows 10. And what about the chances of that host file slowing down the pc?
Okay...don't take my word for this. But there's no chance of the hosts file slowing down your PC unless it's above 135 kilobytes. If it is above 135 kilobytes, there's a simple fix to make it so it doesn't slow down your PC, by shutting down the DNS Client.

ADufresne

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Completely agree that Windows Central is a good test case. Our web test team utilizes as a "slow site" in their test matrix. I can appreciate that they have to keep the lights on but the site does really need a diet.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Laptop.

Spam folder ..trash... inbox..sent..drafts ..folders and settings don't show up at all. It's all blank there.
I can read my emails and delete an email and thank God I had it set to go back to emails and not the next email ,otherwise I would have to go thru each one to see them.

I have no access to the left sidebar where all my things are that I mentioned above. It's all white ..I tried to hover my pointer in that area hoping it will work,but pointer does nothing.

But if you use Internet Explorer or another browser like Firefox, your email looks correct?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
TY Jazmac!! your post proves that you should be the 127.0.0.1 Local Host.
Have you Tipped Dan on this news to make a tutorial for the other unwashed geeks here ;) Although I doubt he would do it as this site runs heavily on ads :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss