Black Friday is almost here!

Get the inside track on all the best deals.

04-11-2018 01:59 PM
177 12345 ...
tools
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

or go to Run, type in iexplore then press enter
    Ok..Verizon email works with internet explorer just as it did on W7. So Firefox and IE works just fine for my verizon email.

So I opened verizon email on Edge again and the same problem..nothing shows up in the left panel at all..it's just white and empty. I checked the verizon email settings and they are the same for IE and Firefox.

I'm stumped on how to get this fix.
    08-04-2015 01:54 AM
    Judas Priest that has speeded things up!
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-04-2015 03:36 AM
    Hi, I didn't face any of the issues or Edge being un usable by anyway, I even took a screen shot of my task manager running both Firefox (without addons) and Edge opening same number of tabs, still running better .

firefox-vs-edge.jpg
    08-04-2015 04:31 AM
    Yes the memory usage of edge is awesome if displayed correctly.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-04-2015 04:36 AM
    Hi, I didn't face any of the issues or Edge being un usable by anyway, I even took a screen shot of my task manager running both Firefox (without addons) and Edge opening same number of tabs, still running better .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firefox vs Edge.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	109942

You sorted the list based on app name, but you have to scroll the list down, then you will see the real used ram.
    Or simply sort by memory usage

Same tabs on firefox and edge:

edgememory.jpg
    08-04-2015 06:12 AM
    ah ok - more ram usage then the ram hungry firefox? :(
    08-04-2015 06:18 AM
    Jazmac: thank you for bringing the hosts file to our attention. I knew nothing about it but it has proved to be a fantastic improvement.

Thanks again.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-04-2015 06:37 AM
    Here is another one for the newbies.
    Download http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip
    Extract to a folder and run mvps.bat
    All done. It does back up original host file for you. Works great on Windows RT too by the way.
    Firstly I'm not an IT pro... but I'm intrigued about this for RT (Surface2 in my case) so is this a simple case of unpackaging the download and running a component of the zip? Does it do the required browser change for you or do I have to do some internal editing of something (as you may guess not my forte..) I just want a credible ad blocker on IE on my surface 2! Any help appreciated!
    08-04-2015 10:51 AM
    so this is exactly the same as running adblock + on the other browsers out there?
    why not use another browser until edge is full featured? like having full-screen etc.
    08-04-2015 11:09 AM
    I wasn't sure til I tested it out. But agreed everyone should do this little trick. Its night and day difference.

By the way your quote in your signature. I'm kinda like you. I was all Apple than droid and Microsoft mixture. But now I miss Ios and wished I never would have invested in Droid. But price is keeping me away from Apples products.
    I guess it would be prudent to tell the lovely people how to do it then.
    Type [Win] + [R] to open up Run.
    Type "services.msc" without the quotation marks.
    Scroll down until you see DNS Client.
    Right-click on it and select properties.
    Click Stop.
    Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup types" and click manual.
    Click Apply/Okay and restart.

I thought my iPhone was decent but when I moved to Windows Phone iOS just became boring and uninteresting. I admire Apple for making efficient, polished software but it's also bland, overly simplistic. I rather like Android but it's too cluttered. There are places where the design is just too much. You have to take too many steps. Even the keys at the bottom of the screen don't work like I think they should in my head. I could easily use Android every day, but I'd rather have Windows Phone. When my Gmail got hacked I moved everything over to Microsoft services and they've been working far better than their Android counterparts ever did.
    08-04-2015 11:30 AM
    Ok..Verizon email works with internet explorer just as it did on W7. So Firefox and IE works just fine for my verizon email.

So I opened verizon email on Edge again and the same problem..nothing shows up in the left panel at all..it's just white and empty. I checked the verizon email settings and they are the same for IE and Firefox.

I'm stumped on how to get this fix.
    Microsoft has asked for people to report websites that don't display or operate properly within Edge. Please send Microsoft feedback about the issue.

so this is exactly the same as running adblock + on the other browsers out there?
    why not use another browser until edge is full featured? like having full-screen etc.
    Well, it is very SIMILAR to running AdBlcok+ on other browsers, except the browser add-on doesn't have to scan everything coming in and then block, because it is blocked before it can ever get to the browser. This will actually save more data bandwidth than a browser add-on.

Also, it works with EVERYTHING on your system, which means you can block malicious sites, and if you get a malware infection that reports back to one of those sites, it can't report home or send your info out. It will actually block much of the malware from even getting to your computer.

And by everything on your system, that includes apps as well. Those ads in apps, IF those ad sites are included in your host file, will also be blocked.

I have been using the hosts file and manipulating it for well over a decade. If you're not careful, you can lose functionality to some extent on some sites. There are actually a few sites out there that are so heavily involved in advertising, that they actually borrow their source of JavaScript from the ad generating site (not a good idea, but some do) because it saves on their OWN bandwidth not having to host the JavaScript functions locally. That means some sites will have certain functionality blocked. There are administrative actions and other less-used functions here at WC that are blocked by such.

I'll admit, though, that I've been using the hosts file solution for Edge since I first installed Windows 10 on July 30. It does indeed make Edge blazing fast. If I didn't have keyboard response issues with form entry fields in Edge, it would be the only browser I'd be using right now. Unfortunately, pressing Enter acts like Pressing Enter followed by Control-Home, among a few other issues that make posting on the forums painful. I'm still using Edge, but for posting on the forums, I'm having to use Firefox or Chrome for now.
    Jazmac and txkimmers like this.
    08-04-2015 11:44 AM
    Eh. Weaksauce. I said this before, this is the desktop. On the desktop, we can get under the hood and make adjustments. This is what we're talking about in this thread. How we as users can make Edge do what we want it to. We don't need to wait for others to do it for us. We're old school like that. :)
    Last edited by Jazmac; 08-04-2015 at 12:38 PM.
    08-04-2015 12:13 PM
    Neither my PC or my Surface Pro 2 seems to 'slow down' or get higher cpu usage when using Edge on this site. Maybe some PCs are harboring some other junk that is contributing to it?

I agree, that there are a few too many adds but I generally support adds as long as they arent intrusive. Everyone should just stop using any non-static add (videos, audio etc). Any site that uses them I either stop visiting or turn on a blocker to stop them.
    rhapdog likes this.
    08-04-2015 01:05 PM
    Neither my PC or my Surface Pro 2 seems to 'slow down' or get higher cpu usage when using Edge on this site. Maybe some PCs are harboring some other junk that is contributing to it?

I agree, that there are a few too many adds but I generally support adds as long as they arent intrusive. Everyone should just stop using any non-static add (videos, audio etc). Any site that uses them I either stop visiting or turn on a blocker to stop them.
    Good one
    rhapdog likes this.
    08-04-2015 01:21 PM
    I have found the best HOSTS file for ad-blocking is currently from: winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

After downloading their HOSTS file, placing it into Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and rebooting, Edge is blazing fast now! Noticeably faster than a similar Chrome or Firefox configured with ad-blocking plugins.

If you want to use Edge, but are put off because support for extensions are not available yet, and thus no ad-blocking extensions can be used, this method is a great temporary solution.
    No need to reboot; just open an administrative command prompt and use ipconfig /flushdns after changing the hosts file, that will force it to be read. Also force a reload as the ad images might be cached in Edge / IE / whatever browser.
    08-04-2015 03:05 PM
    Sites like WPC include far too many ads. A complete overkill. When ads slow down browsing significantly is when a site has taken things too far and have to expect users to block them.

WPC is a perfect test case for Edge developers though as it performs terribly due to all the ads.
    I'm actually not having an issue on WC even with the ads.
    08-04-2015 03:06 PM
    Is using host files better than using add ons?
    08-04-2015 03:46 PM
    Is using host files better than using add ons?
    Yes. It doesn't just affect a particular browser, but the entire operating system. All browsers, applications, and programs will be affected and as long as the ad servers providing the ads are added to your hosts file they're blocked.
    Also, it's faster, as it doesn't have to go through an ad-block first.
    An extension of this is that it's more secure, as any nasty websites don't ever reach your browser.
    Sunstorming likes this.
    08-04-2015 03:53 PM
    No need to reboot; just open an administrative command prompt and use ipconfig /flushdns after changing the hosts file, that will force it to be read. Also force a reload as the ad images might be cached in Edge / IE / whatever browser.
    Just curious, but do you type it into CMD like this?
    ipconfig /flushdns

I noticed the space and was wondering if you also typed the space.
    08-04-2015 03:54 PM
    Just curious, but do you type it into CMD like this?
    ipconfig /flushdns

I noticed the space and was wondering if you also typed the space.
    Yes. Do this at the command prompt. (admin)
    08-04-2015 04:00 PM
    Yes. Do this at the command prompt. (admin)
    Thank you. It's been added to my personal readme file (I wrote my own readme giving explicit instructions for everything involving hosts files)
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-04-2015 04:50 PM
    Thanks everyone for this great and helpful thread!!!!

I have found the best HOSTS file for ad-blocking is currently from: winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

After downloading their HOSTS file, placing it into Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and rebooting, Edge is blazing fast now! Noticeably faster than a similar Chrome or Firefox configured with ad-blocking plugins.

If you want to use Edge, but are put off because support for extensions are not available yet, and thus no ad-blocking extensions can be used, this method is a great temporary solution.
    But many, many thanks to you. Your advice was by far the easiest!!!! Thank you again for making my Edge fast :)
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-04-2015 05:15 PM
    Thanks everyone for this great and helpful thread!!!!

But many, many thanks to you. Your advice was by far the easiest!!!! Thank you again for making my Edge fast :)
    Isn't it unreal how fast Edge is? I've never used a browser that can move as fast as Microsoft Edge. W/O the internet noise that is. :)
    08-04-2015 05:28 PM
    Firstly I'm not an IT pro... but I'm intrigued about this for RT (Surface2 in my case) so is this a simple case of unpackaging the download and running a component of the zip? Does it do the required browser change for you or do I have to do some internal editing of something (as you may guess not my forte..) I just want a credible ad blocker on IE on my surface 2! Any help appreciated!
    Just extract/unpack everything inside and run mvps.bat file. It does everything for you automatically.

Here is another ad protection for IE9-IE11 that will work on Windows RT. Very easy to do.
    1. Quero AdBlock IE Tracking Protection List
    2. Click on Quero AdBlock IE TPL button on the right of the page.
    3. Add list
    08-04-2015 08:19 PM
    I'll try this on my Edge. Thanks!
    Jazmac and rhapdog like this.
    08-04-2015 10:53 PM
177 12345 ...