Edge is behaving, even on Windows Central. Here's why

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok..Verizon email works with internet explorer just as it did on W7. So Firefox and IE works just fine for my verizon email.

So I opened verizon email on Edge again and the same problem..nothing shows up in the left panel at all..it's just white and empty. I checked the verizon email settings and they are the same for IE and Firefox.

I'm stumped on how to get this fix.
Microsoft has asked for people to report websites that don't display or operate properly within Edge. Please send Microsoft feedback about the issue.

so this is exactly the same as running adblock + on the other browsers out there?
why not use another browser until edge is full featured? like having full-screen etc.
Well, it is very SIMILAR to running AdBlcok+ on other browsers, except the browser add-on doesn't have to scan everything coming in and then block, because it is blocked before it can ever get to the browser. This will actually save more data bandwidth than a browser add-on.

Also, it works with EVERYTHING on your system, which means you can block malicious sites, and if you get a malware infection that reports back to one of those sites, it can't report home or send your info out. It will actually block much of the malware from even getting to your computer.

And by everything on your system, that includes apps as well. Those ads in apps, IF those ad sites are included in your host file, will also be blocked.

I have been using the hosts file and manipulating it for well over a decade. If you're not careful, you can lose functionality to some extent on some sites. There are actually a few sites out there that are so heavily involved in advertising, that they actually borrow their source of JavaScript from the ad generating site (not a good idea, but some do) because it saves on their OWN bandwidth not having to host the JavaScript functions locally. That means some sites will have certain functionality blocked. There are administrative actions and other less-used functions here at WC that are blocked by such.

I'll admit, though, that I've been using the hosts file solution for Edge since I first installed Windows 10 on July 30. It does indeed make Edge blazing fast. If I didn't have keyboard response issues with form entry fields in Edge, it would be the only browser I'd be using right now. Unfortunately, pressing Enter acts like Pressing Enter followed by Control-Home, among a few other issues that make posting on the forums painful. I'm still using Edge, but for posting on the forums, I'm having to use Firefox or Chrome for now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
so this is exactly the same as running adblock + on the other browsers out there?
why not use another browser until edge is full featured? like having full-screen etc.

Eh. Weaksauce. I said this before, this is the desktop. On the desktop, we can get under the hood and make adjustments. This is what we're talking about in this thread. How we as users can make Edge do what we want it to. We don't need to wait for others to do it for us. We're old school like that. :)

Last edited:

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Neither my PC or my Surface Pro 2 seems to 'slow down' or get higher cpu usage when using Edge on this site. Maybe some PCs are harboring some other junk that is contributing to it?

I agree, that there are a few too many adds but I generally support adds as long as they arent intrusive. Everyone should just stop using any non-static add (videos, audio etc). Any site that uses them I either stop visiting or turn on a blocker to stop them.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Neither my PC or my Surface Pro 2 seems to 'slow down' or get higher cpu usage when using Edge on this site. Maybe some PCs are harboring some other junk that is contributing to it?

I agree, that there are a few too many adds but I generally support adds as long as they arent intrusive. Everyone should just stop using any non-static add (videos, audio etc). Any site that uses them I either stop visiting or turn on a blocker to stop them.

Good one

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have found the best HOSTS file for ad-blocking is currently from: winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

After downloading their HOSTS file, placing it into Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and rebooting, Edge is blazing fast now! Noticeably faster than a similar Chrome or Firefox configured with ad-blocking plugins.

If you want to use Edge, but are put off because support for extensions are not available yet, and thus no ad-blocking extensions can be used, this method is a great temporary solution.

No need to reboot; just open an administrative command prompt and use ipconfig /flushdns after changing the hosts file, that will force it to be read. Also force a reload as the ad images might be cached in Edge / IE / whatever browser.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Sites like WPC include far too many ads. A complete overkill. When ads slow down browsing significantly is when a site has taken things too far and have to expect users to block them.

WPC is a perfect test case for Edge developers though as it performs terribly due to all the ads.

I'm actually not having an issue on WC even with the ads.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Is using host files better than using add ons?

Yes. It doesn't just affect a particular browser, but the entire operating system. All browsers, applications, and programs will be affected and as long as the ad servers providing the ads are added to your hosts file they're blocked.
Also, it's faster, as it doesn't have to go through an ad-block first.
An extension of this is that it's more secure, as any nasty websites don't ever reach your browser.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
No need to reboot; just open an administrative command prompt and use ipconfig /flushdns after changing the hosts file, that will force it to be read. Also force a reload as the ad images might be cached in Edge / IE / whatever browser.

Just curious, but do you type it into CMD like this?
ipconfig /flushdns

I noticed the space and was wondering if you also typed the space.

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for this great and helpful thread!!!!

I have found the best HOSTS file for ad-blocking is currently from: winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

After downloading their HOSTS file, placing it into Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and rebooting, Edge is blazing fast now! Noticeably faster than a similar Chrome or Firefox configured with ad-blocking plugins.

If you want to use Edge, but are put off because support for extensions are not available yet, and thus no ad-blocking extensions can be used, this method is a great temporary solution.

But many, many thanks to you. Your advice was by far the easiest!!!! Thank you again for making my Edge fast :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for this great and helpful thread!!!!

But many, many thanks to you. Your advice was by far the easiest!!!! Thank you again for making my Edge fast :)

Isn't it unreal how fast Edge is? I've never used a browser that can move as fast as Microsoft Edge. W/O the internet noise that is. :)

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Firstly I'm not an IT pro... but I'm intrigued about this for RT (Surface2 in my case) so is this a simple case of unpackaging the download and running a component of the zip? Does it do the required browser change for you or do I have to do some internal editing of something (as you may guess not my forte..) I just want a credible ad blocker on IE on my surface 2! Any help appreciated!

Just extract/unpack everything inside and run mvps.bat file. It does everything for you automatically.

Here is another ad protection for IE9-IE11 that will work on Windows RT. Very easy to do.
1. Quero AdBlock IE Tracking Protection List
2. Click on Quero AdBlock IE TPL button on the right of the page.
3. Add list

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll try this on my Edge. Thanks!
Do it man. Like I said, not many really know just how fast Microsoft Edge is on the internet except for those in this thread. Yes, this is mad speculation on my part but, if your Windows info sites are primarily here and you're not necessarily tech savvy, they don't know Edge like we know Edge..

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Agreed. Edge is incredible with this.
As arrogant as it sounds, I strangely feel like a pro at hosts even though I just learned how they work. I already have multiple hosts files to switch between if I need to and I've been "upgrading" all the PC's in the house.
I still hope to learn more about them though. Computers in general. I'm always interested in new computer-based knowledge.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I tried this on edge and it actually made this site fast (was always bloated with ads and slow) and other sites now load a heck of a lot faster. Even on my old kitchen Windows 7 machine, it's just a old dual core, so it's slow as crud but, when MSN would load for example, till all the ads came down, you could not do anything on the page, Now ? It loads fairly quick and it's fully usable. This laptop was updated with a SDD, if not it would not be usable at all.

I actually put it on all my machines now...

Worthy to try if your sick of ads slowing down your browser...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo