04-11-2018 01:59 PM
177 ... 45678
tools
    I have a much different experience. While I find it faster it is taking a lot of memory. I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM ( Laptop) and having 3 tabs open ( 2 are from Windows Central) and each are taking 300MB each
    You are not alone. I've seen posts that show Edge grabbing ram. All I can say is I haven't see it personally on either of my boxes in my house. 2 desktops, 3 laptops and a tablet, all seem to be using memory appropriately. In fact, 3 of my coworkers and my boss use this and they all talk about how little memory Edge is using. But again, you are not alone. Maybe an update will resolve it.
    08-11-2015 08:33 PM
    The stars have aligned Attachment 110289
    Seriously? Those double-underlined contextual ads* are the last straw for me when visiting a site. Usually as soon as I see one, I immediately close the tab and stay away. Of course, I've been using adblockers here for so long, I wouldn't have noticed them.

* I call them "Banana Ads" because I was on a forum once that had the word banana double-underlined with a Chiquita advert when someone wrote "That's just bananas."
    Last edited by davidofmidnight; 08-11-2015 at 11:02 PM.
    Jazmac and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-11-2015 08:51 PM
    You are not alone. I've seen posts that show Edge grabbing ram. All I can say is I haven't see it personally on either of my boxes in my house. 2 desktops, 3 laptops and a tablet, all seem to be using memory appropriately.
    Have you scrolled down in the Processes tab of Task Manager and check under Background processes and Windows processes for more Edge processes running? It is a common oversight to only look under Apps, and miss whatever else is happening.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-11-2015 09:48 PM
    Have you scrolled down in the Processes tab of Task Manager and check under Background processes and Windows processes for more Edge processes running? It is a common oversight to only look under Apps, and miss whatever else is happening.
    edge-background.png

I currently have 6 tabs not including Windows Central.
    tgp likes this.
    08-11-2015 10:16 PM

One tab us currently using 800mb basically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-11-2015 10:56 PM
    I have one tab that's going 900mb and rising *

I actually switched tabs from Windows centre to ESPN and then back and seems to be the espn tab that's making it go up. Is it the flash player doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-11-2015 10:58 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edge background.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	110348

I currently have 6 tabs not including Windows Central.
    That's pretty light! I haven't paid much attention to RAM usage. My 2 main computers for personal use are an HP laptop with 8GB RAM running Windows 8.1 and a Macbook with 16GB RAM. Both devices have SSDs.

I'm not yet using Windows 10 on my Windows laptop (I did upgrade to W10 but reverted due to wifi issues), so I don't have Edge available there. Performance has never been an issue no matter how many tabs are open or whatever other programs are running, probably due to SSDs and plenty of RAM. They're both lightening quick, regardless of what's running on them.
    08-11-2015 11:00 PM
    That's pretty light! I haven't paid much attention to RAM usage. My 2 main computers for personal use are an HP laptop with 8GB RAM running Windows 8.1 and a Macbook with 16GB RAM. Both devices have SSDs.

I'm not yet using Windows 10 on my Windows laptop (I did upgrade to W10 but reverted due to wifi issues), so I don't have Edge available there. Performance has never been an issue no matter how many tabs are open or whatever other programs are running, probably due to SSDs and plenty of RAM. They're both lightening quick, regardless of what's running on them.
    I've considered SSD's for my laptop and I might yet get there. The prices are real good now.
    08-11-2015 11:22 PM
    I've considered SSD's for my laptop and I might yet get there. The prices are real good now.
    SSDs are certainly becoming more affordable! Just today I was able to snag a great deal on Newegg's eBay store, a 500GB Samsung EVO 850, for $149.99. I checked a couple hours after I purchased it, and it was no longer available at that price.

I'm planning to install it in my wife's laptop. That will make us all SSD at home except for a desktop I have sitting around as a testbed (not used except for trying out previews & betas).

I will warn you of one thing though; if you get used to the performance of SSDs you will never be satisfied with anything less!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    08-11-2015 11:34 PM
    SSDs are certainly becoming more affordable! Just today I was able to snag a great deal on Newegg's eBay store, a 500GB Samsung EVO 850, for $149.99. I checked a couple hours after I purchased it, and it was no longer available at that price.

I'm planning to install it in my wife's laptop. That will make us all SSD at home except for a desktop I have sitting around as a testbed (not used except for trying out previews & betas).

I will warn you of one thing though; if you get used to the performance of SSDs you will never be satisfied with anything less!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    One day man, One day.
    tgp likes this.
    08-12-2015 01:09 AM
    @tgp the other issue largely missed in these ram usage conversations I've noticed is how does the usage managed by the OS. If the OS is smart enough, it should know how to manage the resources it has. On my work computer, which is about 5 years old with 4 gig, I run tons of applications, utilities, remote desktops and a couple browsers on it all day long. It runs Windows 7. I can get through almost 3 full weeks of abuse before needing to reboot it. Windows 7 on that bit of memory simply manages the resources well.
    08-12-2015 10:02 AM
    I guess this would be a good way to kill OneDrive too. Have you come across any hosts files that have entries for that?
    08-13-2015 07:35 PM
    I guess this would be a good way to kill OneDrive too. Have you come across any hosts files that have entries for that?
    Pardon?
    08-13-2015 10:46 PM
    Well I was thinking if you can null route the advertisers' domains then why not extend that to other unwanted services, like OneDrive? Or maybe even Windows Update, then just turn it on to get updates when you feel like it, not when they feel like it.

In the case of OneDrive I was thinking it might be easier to just rename the exes or something, but I don't know how many there are. I know Office has it's own configuration for OneDrive, so I'd prefer to kill it at the system level.

Then there's all the other "call home" components to figure out, could take a while. There are probably some that use IPs rather than DNS though.
    08-13-2015 11:20 PM
    Well I was thinking if you can null route the advertisers' domains then why not extend that to other unwanted services, like OneDrive? Or maybe even Windows Update, then just turn it on to get updates when you feel like it, not when they feel like it.

In the case of OneDrive I was thinking it might be easier to just rename the exes or something, but I don't know how many there are. I know Office has it's own configuration for OneDrive, so I'd prefer to kill it at the system level.

Then there's all the other "call home" components to figure out, could take a while. There are probably some that use IPs rather than DNS though.
    You want to block OneDrive? Okay, that would be an interesting, if not dangerous experiment. Do you use Xbox achievements on any games? That could get messed up as well. Access to your Microsoft account for your Office 365 subscription? Borked. Why? They all use the same domain for sign-in! Microsoft Store for apps? Bye-bye!

The issue for most isn't forcing Windows Update to update WHEN they want, but to update WHAT they want. If all you need is to decide WHEN, then just configure your connection as metered, then, when you want to install the updates, set it as non-metered and it will update. It will not update over a metered connection. This is what I do. It also prevents the store from getting updates as well, or is for me so far.

OneDrive, unfortunately, will still sync on a metered connection. However, if you don't want to use OneDrive, it is possible to stop using OneDrive. Right click the OneDrive icon in the system tray and select "Settings". Uncheck Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows. Now, right click again and select "Exit". DONE!
    jsooney likes this.
    08-15-2015 06:30 AM
    You want to block OneDrive? Okay, that would be an interesting, if not dangerous experiment. Do you use Xbox achievements on any games? That could get messed up as well. Access to your Microsoft account for your Office 365 subscription? Borked. Why? They all use the same domain for sign-in! Microsoft Store for apps? Bye-bye!

The issue for most isn't forcing Windows Update to update WHEN they want, but to update WHAT they want. If all you need is to decide WHEN, then just configure your connection as metered, then, when you want to install the updates, set it as non-metered and it will update. It will not update over a metered connection. This is what I do. It also prevents the store from getting updates as well, or is for me so far.

OneDrive, unfortunately, will still sync on a metered connection. However, if you don't want to use OneDrive, it is possible to stop using OneDrive. Right click the OneDrive icon in the system tray and select "Settings". Uncheck Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows. Now, right click again and select "Exit". DONE!
    I don't use Xbox, Office 365 or the app store, so no loss there. I only have a local login right now.

Updates are a when and where thing, and I'd prefer to decide that myself. Presumably you can still manually download and install KBs, although I haven't tried yet. I read that pro and enterprise versions have GPO functionality so that is probably a better way to go than trying to block stuff.

I don't know that using options in Settings really works. Just because a graphic says something is off it doesn't mean it is, kind of like what came up in that Ars Technica fuss. I've also noticed that things you've turned off have a way of somehow turning themselves on again, on WP 8 anyway, not sure about W10 yet.

At this point it's not a big deal because I only have W10 on a PC I don't care about, I'm just experimenting. I was just wondering if some bored person had come up with a list of domain names for the various MS services. I heard that there are IP addresses configured in some DLLs, so blocking via the hosts file wouldn't be effective if true.

In general though, I find 10 much slower than 8. Despite 8's bad rep, it was blazing fast. Maybe 10 will get better with time.
    08-15-2015 07:44 PM
    Been reading through this, and yes, on my w10 machines, ad's are diving me crazy. Is MS realeasing an ad blocker for edge eventually? Or are they going rouge and just letting us deal with it?
    08-18-2015 06:18 AM
    Been reading through this, and yes, on my w10 machines, ad's are diving me crazy. Is MS realeasing an ad blocker for edge eventually? Or are they going rouge and just letting us deal with it?
    Extension support is said to be coming later this year.
    08-18-2015 06:22 AM
    Try updating your hosts file. It works.
    08-19-2015 09:52 PM
    . I encourage you to try it. It could change your mind about Edge.

Attachment 109731
    Doc I need your help to go back to the future. For some reason I lost my activated version of 10. After a million hoops I am back to a fresh install of 10 and activated as well. But edge is not behaving this time around. have a look at graphics!! Any advice?edgefail.jpg
    08-25-2015 04:39 PM
    Here is another one for the newbies.
    Download http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip
    Extract to a folder and run mvps.bat
    All done. It does back up original host file for you. Works great on Windows RT too by the way.
    tried this on my laptop with 10 and...im still seeing ads all over WPC.. do I need to restart? I noticed the cmd prompt window said 'access denied' but the "host files were updated" so I assume this worked? I'm not at all experienced with cmd editing so any help appreciated, I was hoping the one click running of the mvps bat file would work... thoughts? cheers!

EDIT: SUCCESS! - I'm ashamed to say I didn't RTFM on this one... the 'read me' instructions mentions running the .bat file 'as an administrator' I didn't do this previously. I tried it again doing this and low and behold, ads gone...

how long do changes like this 'last' and is it dynamic in the way of updating itself and keeping ads at bay? I'm new to all this as you can tell..
    Last edited by Nickkk101; 08-28-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: update
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-28-2015 07:20 AM
    tried this on my laptop with 10 and...im still seeing ads all over WPC.. do I need to restart? I noticed the cmd prompt window said 'access denied' but the "host files were updated" so I assume this worked? I'm not at all experienced with cmd editing so any help appreciated, I was hoping the one click running of the mvps bat file would work... thoughts? cheers!

EDIT: SUCCESS! - I'm ashamed to say I didn't RTFM on this one... the 'read me' instructions mentions running the .bat file 'as an administrator' I didn't do this previously. I tried it again doing this and low and behold, ads gone...

how long do changes like this 'last' and is it dynamic in the way of updating itself and keeping ads at bay? I'm new to all this as you can tell..
    I just updated my post. Yes, you need to run the .bat file as Administrator. You'll have to update manually unfortunately. Download new file when you feel like updating it.
    08-28-2015 10:12 AM
    I just updated my post. Yes, you need to run the .bat file as Administrator. You'll have to update manually unfortunately. Download new file when you feel like updating it.
    Thanks, glad I could highlight that missed instruction for idiots like myself lol
    How would you go about updating the list? I understand the lists are frequently published and updated by the people behind these host files but would it be a case of just re-running the procedure above with the latest dates batch file? are these easily available?
    08-28-2015 11:35 AM
    Thanks, glad I could highlight that missed instruction for idiots like myself lol
    How would you go about updating the list? I understand the lists are frequently published and updated by the people behind these host files but would it be a case of just re-running the procedure above with the latest dates batch file? are these easily available?
    Download the zip from from that hostmvp website and run .bat file again.
    Nickkk101 and Jazmac like this.
    08-28-2015 03:44 PM
    Try updating your hosts file. It works.
    Hey Jazmac,

how do I do that? will it affect any other systems on my machines?
    08-30-2015 03:20 PM
177 ... 45678