04-11-2018 01:59 PM
177 ... 5678
tools
    Hey Jazmac,

how do I do that? will it affect any other systems on my machines?
    The short answer is no. The hosts file is all about the IP address. The wiki answer is "The hosts file is a computer file used by an operating system to map hostnames to IP addresses."

Many websites like MSNBC, Yahoo, this one and others, embed or attach the web address of other web sites that have an interest in what that sites visitors are doing. With that information, they can and do direct advertising to your browser. Nothing really wrong with that except that some sites have partners who pay them have stuff they want to sell as well. Many times its nothing you would ever be interested in so what devs have come up with is a way to minimize the impact of what they do by way of your browser.

You know them as AdBlock. Adblock does essentially the same thing as what this host modification does and tailors how your browser can be used. Unlike Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Safari and others, Microsoft Edge has NO such protections like Adblock yet. So if you are going to use Microsoft Edge, and it is a very good browser BTW, you have to do yourself what Adblock is doing for other browsers. Make sense?
    I hope I didn't over explain but I do this for purposes of others who may not be as aware.

But the answer to your question is no.

Note: I should say this fix isn't discriminatory. It treats all websites with the equal scrutiny. So be prepared for those eventualities. I have not had any trouble with my bank, or any site I visit using Microsoft Edge and this Host edit. I have heard one or two people in this thread bump into an issue connecting because the website insisted it needed to have full access to the browser of which I would question that need. But, those are outliers and there is no perfect solution.
    M L and wardo5757 like this.
    08-30-2015 05:31 PM
    I have heard one or two people in this thread bump into an issue connecting because the website insisted it needed to have full access to the browser of which I would question that need.
    I might even question the websites' motives. Some of the blocks in that hosts file block sites that are known to plant viruses and other malware. It can keep you safer.
    09-09-2015 07:31 PM
    I might even question the websites' motives. Some of the blocks in that hosts file block sites that are known to plant viruses and other malware. It can keep you safer.
    True dat. Which is why google has been cutting checks to adblock to allow them and their partners to continue to plant malicious code in your browser.
    09-09-2015 08:54 PM
    I did not feel comfortable with modifying the things you were mentioning so I went back to IE. MUCH BETTER. Edge will be awesome, just not ready for primetime. MS needs to get this fixed asap. But what a difference in speed between the two. And another side benefit of going back to IE, my battery life on my notebooks have gone way up! I thought they were toast, but it was EDGE killing them with all the video and ads popping up everywhere.
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-11-2015 05:06 AM
    Edge is actually usable. I mean really usable. Even on Windows Central, the message board controls all behave normally. And its still speedy as you want.
    I don't know if this is suppose to occur with the host files being updated as per the guide. Please advice if this is something to do with the host files or totally unique problem. screen.jpg All 4 tab did the same thing. Any fix for this issue? Cheers
    10-15-2015 05:51 PM
    I don't know if this is suppose to occur with the host files being updated as per the guide. Please advice if this is something to do with the host files or totally unique problem. All 4 tab did the same thing. Any fix for this issue? Cheers
    Hmmm. It doesn't happen with me. I am using the same host file since I started the thread and I don't have trouble with sites in Edge or Firefox for that matter since the host file affects all browser traffic. That may have more to do with Java. Try uninstalling Java, reboot then install Java again.
    10-15-2015 08:40 PM
    Sorry but this is unacceptable, I'm all for viewing ads but killing my surface3 with 4gb? Its ridiculous, just kill the video ads, that would probably solve it

This site needs to model a good experience for everyone, look I only have one thing and one tab open! Tell me I need a new computer =p hehe

screenshot-5-.png
    11-24-2015 03:09 AM
    windowscentral.com is not loading in Edge for Windows 10 Mobile in Continuum Mode. It just hangs and not responding.
    12-26-2015 03:59 PM
    I'm using Ad Block for IE11. Anyone know if changing the host file is better than Ad Block?
    12-26-2015 08:41 PM
    Here is another one for the newbies. Quick and easy.

Download http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip
    Extract to a folder. Right click mvps.bat and run as Administrator
    It does back up original host file for you. Works great on Windows RT too by the way.
    Thanks for this. It was quick and easy and now I'm loving Edge. I was ready to give up on Edge. Now it's fast and stable.
    12-30-2015 01:21 PM
    I just installed the new hosts file and have a couple questions. The Readme says hosts files larger than 135kb tend to slow down the machine. The new file is 498kb.

1. Does it slow Edge or IE performance or the whole PC?

2. Has anyone had this effect on a relatively new Windows 10 machine?

BTW, I saw the workaround if it's an issue.
    12-30-2015 06:31 PM
    I'm using Ad Block for IE11. Anyone know if changing the host file is better than Ad Block?
    The hosts file is a system-wide configuration so it will apply to all apps that access the internet, not just IE. If you use multiple browsers or are also concerned about other apps then the hosts file is more efficient.
    Laura Knotek and HeyCori like this.
    01-04-2016 06:44 PM
    I just installed the new hosts file and have a couple questions. The Readme says hosts files larger than 135kb tend to slow down the machine. The new file is 498kb.

1. Does it slow Edge or IE performance or the whole PC?

2. Has anyone had this effect on a relatively new Windows 10 machine?

BTW, I saw the workaround if it's an issue.
    I suppose the hosts file makes the routing table a lot larger and gives the PC more to process on the network side, but a reasonably decent PC should handle it ok. If you do netstat -r at a command prompt you should see a much larger list with the hosts file mod than without, so more for it to think about.

If there is an impact it would affect the whole PC, not just Edge. Personally I haven't noticed any performance impact on a two year old low-end box that I upgraded from 8 to 10.
    01-04-2016 06:52 PM
    I suppose the hosts file makes the routing table a lot larger and gives the PC more to process on the network side, but a reasonably decent PC should handle it ok. If you do netstat -r at a command prompt you should see a much larger list with the hosts file mod than without, so more for it to think about.
    Actually, this is a load of bunk. The hosts file has nothing to do with the routing table, it is about name resolution. I think I had too much holiday cheer. Maybe a large hosts file would slow down resolving names, but I can't imagine it would be very noticeable.
    01-04-2016 09:24 PM
    Sorry, I tried changing host and works but then clicking stuff on other sites, search engine etc does not work. No other site I have been to is this hosed. Please fix. This is stupid people have to change hosts file to use. If I search for a coupon code, best price etc, if anything is an ad, you are totally screwed.
    01-06-2016 06:36 PM
    I know this will be a pointless question since root access would be required, but has anyone found any way at all to do something similar on W10M?
    01-11-2016 04:16 PM
    Someone has to read the adverts otherwise we would be in deep dudu.
    Just as soon as advertising servers stop inadvertently hosting and serving malware/viruses, I'll stop blocking the ads. Advertisements on the web is one of the most easily exploitable methods of serving up harmful software without your consent.
    01-19-2016 02:41 AM
    For me, the want to block ads stems from the 1m 45s per page load time on sites like WC when I am using m phone in continuum. (not an exaggeration.)

Better option - release a universal windows app for WC. But it's looking like they won't do that anytime soon.
    01-20-2016 09:44 AM
    Please close this thread. Thank you.
    02-15-2016 04:29 AM
    test
    04-16-2016 10:27 PM
    Here is another one for the newbies. Quick and easy.

Download http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.zip
    Extract to a folder. Right click mvps.bat and run as Administrator
    It does back up original host file for you. Works great on Windows RT too by the way.
    Thanks for this!! Now Edge works great!!
    05-01-2016 10:05 AM
    Edge mobile browsing windows central sites are almost unusable for me...
    05-02-2016 03:32 AM
    If you're on the latest Redstone insider preview for desktop, you can now get Ad Block or Ad Block Plus extensions for Edge. Posting using that now instead of a hosts file. AWESOME!
    http://www.windowscentral.com/adbloc...-windows-store
    Now I've finally decided to make Edge my default browser.
    05-07-2016 09:08 AM
    Many thanks to OP for a second time, I wiped my PC a bit ago and forgot about this, WC became unusable on Edge again so I started using IE when coming on the site.

The app is all well and good but I keep on forgetting and it doesn't auto-update so you have to click refresh and when I am browsing I want to use a browser

Edge now working fast again ;-)
    05-28-2016 07:17 AM
    Conspiracy theory time... WindowsCentral uses googlesyndication for (some of) it's adverts.
    Edge really struggles with windowscentral.com
    Edge doesn't struggle with other sites that don't have such heavy (google) advertising.
    06-05-2016 05:12 AM
177 ... 5678