Edge is behaving, even on Windows Central. Here's why

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Would doing this potentially block anything important on a site? I'm not sure what, but sometimes if I use an add-on, embedded youtube videos on sites won't display. Does changing the hosts file differentiate between ads and other embedded items?

Tim-O

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
It took me a little time to figure out the admin rights, but that was mostly because I wasn't following directions. This already, after only a few moments, has made my Edge experience so much better. THANKS!!!! This truly is an amazing tip, AMAZING!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Would doing this potentially block anything important on a site? I'm not sure what, but sometimes if I use an add-on, embedded youtube videos on sites won't display. Does changing the hosts file differentiate between ads and other embedded items?
The way you're blocking these ads is by adding the ad-server providing the ad to your hosts file following your local IP address or zero. This means the computer, instead of trying to connect to the ad-server and therefore the ad, tries to connect to itself or nothing at all. This results in either a square telling you that the computer couldn't connect or a white square depicting nothing.
As long as a website isn't going through an ad-server for something, there will be no issue. It's not one hundred percent, but if something on a website doesn't work it's a simple matter of finding which ad-server the website is going through and editing your hosts file. It's highly not recommended for a website to use an ad-server like that, but it does happen sometimes because the website is so deeply flooded in ads it's cheaper to actually use the ad-server's servers.

Alessandro Dut

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Edge still consumes a lot more memory than other browsers.

In that picture you can only see the App memory usage but as soon as you order all the processes you can see edge background services using like 3x more memory than Chrome. It is a nice browser, but still not usable when compared to the competition.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

In that picture you can only see the App memory usage but as soon as you order all the processes you can see edge background services using like 3x more memory than Chrome. It is a nice browser, but still not usable when compared to the competition.

True, but let's remember that Edge is still very much in its infancy. While Chrome, Firefox, Safari and other browsers have been out for a lot of years, Edge is just emerging. Once it receives add-on support by the end of the year, the features on this will be amazing. Still, there are bugs to work out and finishing touches to be made, but the potential for Edge, if done properly, is greater than all the others because the vision for Edge is so much greater. And it will be done properly.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Not on my computer it isn't. Edge consumes less. Firefox is my memory hog! I can't tell you about chrome since I'll never install that on any of my machines but Edge? Not even close.

Tom_X

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have found the best HOSTS file for ad-blocking is currently from: winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

After downloading their HOSTS file, placing it into Windows\System32\drivers\etc, and rebooting, Edge is blazing fast now! Noticeably faster than a similar Chrome or Firefox configured with ad-blocking plugins.

If you want to use Edge, but are put off because support for extensions are not available yet, and thus no ad-blocking extensions can be used, this method is a great temporary solution.
Ok, so I downloaded the package from the page, unzipped it, and after clicking the file it installed some HOSTs and told me the installation was complete. The thing is, when I try to use Edge as compared to Chrome without AdBlock, the same ads appear on both browsers! I don't know of any sites with many ads (this one apparently has one or two) so I can't really test it whatsoever, so any help with ways of confirming it worked or telling me if I did something wrong would be appreciated.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Ok, so I downloaded the package from the page, unzipped it, and after clicking the file it installed some HOSTs and told me the installation was complete. The thing is, when I try to use Edge as compared to Chrome without AdBlock, the same ads appear on both browsers! I don't know of any sites with many ads (this one apparently has one or two) so I can't really test it whatsoever, so any help with ways of confirming it worked or telling me if I did something wrong would be appreciated.
WindowsCentral is filled with ads. If you're seeing lots of ads on this site than it didn't work. Did you use the .bat or did you copy it into your hosts file yourself? I suggest doing it yourself because then you know it's going to work. Letting a .bat do it for you when you can do it yourself seems foolhardy.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Pump your brakes. This doesn't put the browser into "reading mode". A place where all ads are completely removed. Not even the infamous Adblock add-on can accomplish that. But that isn't the intent of this post. Besides, what ads you do continue to see are built into the forum software. You ain't avoiding that with adblock or hosts edit.

There is an exceptional amount of what I call "internet noise" that outright punishes any unprotected browser. aka Microsoft Edge. What we are doing with this host update quiets the noise so the browser can do what it is intended to do, render http. I don't know the thread with info which can do what you assumed this one does but I'd begin with the search function at the top of the forum.

It may exist but please don't assume your search for internet nirvana is over. If it exists, It just isn't here. Moreover, since this is my thread, I cannot take credit or blame for anything you decided to install beyond what has my nick on it.

Nor will I assume you did whatever you did correctly. But for the sake of keeping this short, by installing adblock on another browser like chrome doesn't affect what happens with Microsoft Edge. However, if you successfully updated your HOSTS file properly, it will be effective on ALL browsers you install, including google chrome. Ergo, you should be able to safely remove adblock and continue to be protected from the noise.

Tom_X

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
WindowsCentral is filled with ads. If you're seeing lots of ads on this site than it didn't work. Did you use the .bat or did you copy it into your hosts file yourself? I suggest doing it yourself because then you know it's going to work. Letting a .bat do it for you when you can do it yourself seems foolhardy.
Ok, I followed the readme and copied all the files by myself - which made no difference because it had already worked the first time. I did deactivate the DNS Client, as suggested, this time. I see no ads in Windows Central apart from the ones from this site's store, so I guess it worked. Thank you very much for the help! Although Edge still seems kind of sluggish, I prefer Chrome.
EDIT: Jazmac, just seen your reply. Yeah I understand the purpose of changing the host files, and I think I did it alright! I know the Internet will still contain ads, but at least I can browse better with this. Thanks for the help as well!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
People are frustrating Jazmac, but you did really well. I'm trying to spread your advice (and as the internet works, you learned it from someone else...who probably learned it from someone else...so on). You've taught me and got me interested enough to teach myself much more about hosts files than you talked about here.

Mayank Goel1

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the temporary file location for microsoft edge.
Also do i have to edit my hosts file in order to block ads?
Is adblock Plus or like in internet explorer easylist for adblocking is not available for microsoft edge?

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I also did the host file modification and it works very well, not as good as ad block but its way better than before. Edge is blazing fast on my installation - I am happy with it but looking forward to more features.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the temporary file location for microsoft edge.
Also do i have to edit my hosts file in order to block ads?
Is adblock Plus or like in internet explorer easylist for adblocking is not available for microsoft edge?

AdBlock Plus nor any other extensions are currently available for Edge. Edge extension/add-on support will be coming in the fall, but we don't have an exact date yet. Expect it sometime in October is the current best guess.

For anyone interested, AdBlock Plus uses something called an EasyList. It gets updated periodically in order to keep up with all the new ads appearing so they know what to block next.

One of the sites linked by someone in this thread treats their hosts files the same way, and just updated their listing last night. That means you can stay current. That site also has a way to subscribe to a feed to be notified of any updates to the file so that you can always stay up to date. The site is the winhelp2002.mvps.org site.

While for many this won't be as good as AdBlock Plus, this is a great temporary measure until AdBlock Plus is available in the fall.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Great stuff. This site is actually usable now, even though a third of the screen is still huge images. Ridiculous. Anyway.. does anyone have problems downloading in Edge? Once the file has completed the browser is unusable - everywhere you click it bongs and bings as if there is an open dialog somewhere. I have to close the task.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Great stuff. This site is actually usable now, even though a third of the screen is still huge images. Ridiculous. Anyway.. does anyone have problems downloading in Edge? Once the file has completed the browser is unusable - everywhere you click it bongs and bings as if there is an open dialog somewhere. I have to close the task.

Nope haven't seen that with Edge. What I plan to do is get EagleGet plugged in if I can. It is a great alternative to Internet Download Manager. Did I mention EagleGet was free?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys, not to be a downer, and not to be unappreciative of Jazmac's help, but this may cause problems with other sites, as is my case. I had problems with my banking websites and with security pop ups (show all content) with other sites. As soon as I reverted back to the original hosts file, my problems went away. So I guess ill have to settle with windows central website being unusable again for me, and just go back to using the app.

I'm sure it's not the case for everyone. Just a heads up if you need to troubleshoot.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

arn6735

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
What I did was update my Windows hosts file and effectively blocked these noise ridden adverts from showing up on my computer via my Edge client. But the best part is, it works for any installed browser including Firefox and IE 11. (these are what I have installed) Its permanent and makes life on the net peaceful. And peace from ads is a must.
@Sekyal
Reading mode is just that, reading mode. it quiets the noise and great for research type reading. But its not designed for general surfing.

This method truly makes Edge worth it. And like I was saying, if you've never experienced Edge as it was intended, you should try this. I'll post up my host file and some instructions in a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro