Edge is behaving, even on Windows Central. Here's why

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
TPL and Host can block some stuff that are not just ads only. The Claudio video works fine for me with mvphost turned on.
IE Metro is like Edge, doesn't have TPL. You can disable TPL lists in IE->Tools->Manage Ad-ons->Tracking Protection.
To revert hostmvp back to original state. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Rename HOSTS file to something else. Then rename HOSTS.mvp to HOSTS (Original host file is only 1KB)

thank you for helping me find the lists in IE. I disabled the Quero tpl list out of curiosity and the video functionality has returned... clearly its a more strict ad blocker, so I may leave it off for now.. curious stuff though!

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
thank you for helping me find the lists in IE. I disabled the Quero tpl list out of curiosity and the video functionality has returned... clearly its a more strict ad blocker, so I may leave it off for now.. curious stuff though!
Another TPL you could try is Easylist Standard in IE. Tools->Manage Ad-ons->Tracking Protection->Get Protection List Online.->Add Easylist Standard. Easylist works with that website. I just tested on my virtual machine.

Or open this website up with IE9-11. Add Easylist Standard.
http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists

Edit: It seems that TPL works under IE Metro too. It didn't work for me when I tested awhile back.

Last edited:

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Another TPL you could try is Easylist Standard in IE. Tools->Manage Ad-ons->Tracking Protection->Get Protection List Online.->Add Easylist Standard. Easylist works with that website. I just tested on my virtual machine.

Or open this website up with IE9-11. Add Easylist Standard.
Internet Explorer Gallery

Edit: It seems that TPL works under IE Metro too. It didn't work for me when I tested awhile back.

Cheers man. I actually had that one added already a while back when I was optimising the RT tablet after a refresh a few months back. IE has hallways been pretty snappy for me on this tablet but less ads is always welcome!!

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Following a fellow member of Windows Central, (6029KingStephen) and he mentioned something I could do with the hosts file and I decided to look into it tonight. I updated my hosts file [/URL]and low and behold, Edge is actually usable. I mean really usable. Even on Windows Central, the message board controls all behave normally. And its still speedy as you want. Low memory usage See below. I keep expecting it to hiccup, kick me out or do this annoying refresh while I'm in the middle of my thoughts but it didn't happen.

I still have wobbly knees but yeah, its all good.

You might try it yourself. I can post the host file and drop some instructions I used, or you can simply hit the link and build it yourself. Its just wonderful to use this new browser without all the noise. It could replace my old friend Firefox. I encourage you to try it. It could change your mind about Edge.

View attachment 109731

I have a much different experience. While I find it faster it is taking a lot of memory. I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM ( Laptop) and having 3 tabs open ( 2 are from Windows Central) and each are taking 300MB each

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a much different experience. While I find it faster it is taking a lot of memory. I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM ( Laptop) and having 3 tabs open ( 2 are from Windows Central) and each are taking 300MB each

You are not alone. I've seen posts that show Edge grabbing ram. All I can say is I haven't see it personally on either of my boxes in my house. 2 desktops, 3 laptops and a tablet, all seem to be using memory appropriately. In fact, 3 of my coworkers and my boss use this and they all talk about how little memory Edge is using. But again, you are not alone. Maybe an update will resolve it.

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Seriously? Those double-underlined contextual ads* are the last straw for me when visiting a site. Usually as soon as I see one, I immediately close the tab and stay away. Of course, I've been using adblockers here for so long, I wouldn't have noticed them.

* I call them "Banana Ads" because I was on a forum once that had the word banana double-underlined with a Chiquita advert when someone wrote "That's just bananas."

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You are not alone. I've seen posts that show Edge grabbing ram. All I can say is I haven't see it personally on either of my boxes in my house. 2 desktops, 3 laptops and a tablet, all seem to be using memory appropriately.

Have you scrolled down in the Processes tab of Task Manager and check under Background processes and Windows processes for more Edge processes running? It is a common oversight to only look under Apps, and miss whatever else is happening.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Have you scrolled down in the Processes tab of Task Manager and check under Background processes and Windows processes for more Edge processes running? It is a common oversight to only look under Apps, and miss whatever else is happening.

Edge background.PNG

I currently have 6 tabs not including Windows Central.

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
26e9f5897fc21fcb4ac4ecb81ce175ee.jpg

One tab us currently using 800mb basically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have one tab that's going 900mb and rising *

I actually switched tabs from Windows centre to ESPN and then back and seems to be the espn tab that's making it go up. Is it the flash player doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 110348

I currently have 6 tabs not including Windows Central.

That's pretty light! I haven't paid much attention to RAM usage. My 2 main computers for personal use are an HP laptop with 8GB RAM running Windows 8.1 and a Macbook with 16GB RAM. Both devices have SSDs.

I'm not yet using Windows 10 on my Windows laptop (I did upgrade to W10 but reverted due to wifi issues), so I don't have Edge available there. Performance has never been an issue no matter how many tabs are open or whatever other programs are running, probably due to SSDs and plenty of RAM. They're both lightening quick, regardless of what's running on them.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty light! I haven't paid much attention to RAM usage. My 2 main computers for personal use are an HP laptop with 8GB RAM running Windows 8.1 and a Macbook with 16GB RAM. Both devices have SSDs.

I'm not yet using Windows 10 on my Windows laptop (I did upgrade to W10 but reverted due to wifi issues), so I don't have Edge available there. Performance has never been an issue no matter how many tabs are open or whatever other programs are running, probably due to SSDs and plenty of RAM. They're both lightening quick, regardless of what's running on them.

I've considered SSD's for my laptop and I might yet get there. The prices are real good now.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've considered SSD's for my laptop and I might yet get there. The prices are real good now.
SSDs are certainly becoming more affordable! Just today I was able to snag a great deal on Newegg's eBay store, a 500GB Samsung EVO 850, for $149.99. I checked a couple hours after I purchased it, and it was no longer available at that price.

I'm planning to install it in my wife's laptop. That will make us all SSD at home except for a desktop I have sitting around as a testbed (not used except for trying out previews & betas).

I will warn you of one thing though; if you get used to the performance of SSDs you will never be satisfied with anything less!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
SSDs are certainly becoming more affordable! Just today I was able to snag a great deal on Newegg's eBay store, a 500GB Samsung EVO 850, for $149.99. I checked a couple hours after I purchased it, and it was no longer available at that price.

I'm planning to install it in my wife's laptop. That will make us all SSD at home except for a desktop I have sitting around as a testbed (not used except for trying out previews & betas).

I will warn you of one thing though; if you get used to the performance of SSDs you will never be satisfied with anything less!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

One day man, One day.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
@tgp the other issue largely missed in these ram usage conversations I've noticed is how does the usage managed by the OS. If the OS is smart enough, it should know how to manage the resources it has. On my work computer, which is about 5 years old with 4 gig, I run tons of applications, utilities, remote desktops and a couple browsers on it all day long. It runs Windows 7. I can get through almost 3 full weeks of abuse before needing to reboot it. Windows 7 on that bit of memory simply manages the resources well.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I was thinking if you can null route the advertisers' domains then why not extend that to other unwanted services, like OneDrive? Or maybe even Windows Update, then just turn it on to get updates when you feel like it, not when they feel like it.

In the case of OneDrive I was thinking it might be easier to just rename the exes or something, but I don't know how many there are. I know Office has it's own configuration for OneDrive, so I'd prefer to kill it at the system level.

Then there's all the other "call home" components to figure out, could take a while. There are probably some that use IPs rather than DNS though.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well I was thinking if you can null route the advertisers' domains then why not extend that to other unwanted services, like OneDrive? Or maybe even Windows Update, then just turn it on to get updates when you feel like it, not when they feel like it.

In the case of OneDrive I was thinking it might be easier to just rename the exes or something, but I don't know how many there are. I know Office has it's own configuration for OneDrive, so I'd prefer to kill it at the system level.

Then there's all the other "call home" components to figure out, could take a while. There are probably some that use IPs rather than DNS though.

You want to block OneDrive? Okay, that would be an interesting, if not dangerous experiment. Do you use Xbox achievements on any games? That could get messed up as well. Access to your Microsoft account for your Office 365 subscription? Borked. Why? They all use the same domain for sign-in! Microsoft Store for apps? Bye-bye!

The issue for most isn't forcing Windows Update to update WHEN they want, but to update WHAT they want. If all you need is to decide WHEN, then just configure your connection as metered, then, when you want to install the updates, set it as non-metered and it will update. It will not update over a metered connection. This is what I do. It also prevents the store from getting updates as well, or is for me so far.

OneDrive, unfortunately, will still sync on a metered connection. However, if you don't want to use OneDrive, it is possible to stop using OneDrive. Right click the OneDrive icon in the system tray and select "Settings". Uncheck Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows. Now, right click again and select "Exit". DONE!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo