EDGE: How to stop pop up, "show all content"?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I...well...why...I...what? That is the strangest request I've seen on this site. And by strange I mean the tiniest, most seemingly insignificant request I've ever heard haha. I'm sure Microsoft didn't expect anyone to want to stop those little popups from appearing.
To be perfectly honest, I don't think it's possible.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hahaha I dont think it's that strange. When I did a search, I found tons of links of people wanting to turn it off in IE, but couldn't find anything for Edge yet. I tried doing the IE settings, thinking that it might affect Edge, but didn't work.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Hahaha I dont think it's that strange. When I did a search, I found tons of links of people wanting to turn it off in IE, but couldn't find anything for Edge yet. I tried doing the IE settings, thinking that it might affect Edge, but didn't work.

I hope you figure it out. If there's a way I might as well do it too.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
There isn't anything to eliminate it. I submitted feed back on it as well. There are web sites that cause this thing to pop up on literally every page on the site. It's an annoyance. Why there is no "Always show all content for this site" option is beyond me. Edge was released as a barebones and optionless browser, something I really don't understand when the entire purpose of it is to win back consumers.

I'm not surprised it's so fast, when it can't do anything aside from basic browsing.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've used Edge while on Tech Preview for a few months, and for some reason, I feel as if this pop up is occurring way more often after I've installed official release of W10. I don't remember being this annoyed before.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I fixed it. Figured out that editing the hosts file to make Windows Central actually usable for me on Edge has been causing these pop ups to show up more often and in almost every page (specifically, amazon). It also has caused a bunch of problems with my banking sites and billing pages with a few of my services thy I subscribe to (directv, centurylink). After returning to the original hosts file all the problems went away.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
That popup is happening because its a pretty big security risk to display non https content on an https site. A malware dev can pretty easily hijack your session id and eventually your site login if mixed content is displayed.

This isn't a huge deal for most browsing, but for something like a banking website or an online store this is bad news.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I fixed it. Figured out that editing the hosts file to make Windows Central actually usable for me on Edge has been causing these pop ups to show up more often and in almost every page (specifically, amazon). It also has caused a bunch of problems with my banking sites and billing pages with a few of my services thy I subscribe to (directv, centurylink). After returning to the original hosts file all the problems went away.

You've hit the nail on the head. Most people experiencing this problem are those that have replaced the hosts file with an ad-blocker version.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having it without the adblocker as well. We should have an option to choose not to display said content or display it.

rickhan

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a store site using https and getting the popup on every page.
Never mind the dam browser won't scroll until the page fully renders (same problem IE has).
Top it off with no support for addons like RoboForm, I find myself back in IE or Chrome most of the time.

nthezone

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
you can change the popup blocker to not allow any popups if you add these 2 lines in the Registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\New Windows
add DWORD 32bit value on both
BlockControls 1
BlockUserInit 1

I no longer have any popups

Jhawk2337

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
you can change the popup blocker to not allow any popups if you add these 2 lines in the Registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\New Windows
add DWORD 32bit value on both
BlockControls 1
BlockUserInit 1

I no longer have any popups

Hi guys, can anyone confirm these registry tweaks works cause I am not really confident with editing the registry, thanks..

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, can anyone confirm these registry tweaks works cause I am not really confident with editing the registry, thanks..

Confirmed it worked. Wow. Thank god. Edge Popup blocker was a failure to Internet Explorer. You would turn the poup up blocker on but still get popups. There was no way to change the level of blocking as with IE.

However, I just tested a website before and after this reg fix and i don't get pop up anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos