What do you think of Edge

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of it yet. I end up using IE most of the time. Most annoying thing is I can't dock the favourites menu to the left side. Not sure if there's a way to do it other than rotating my monitor 180^? :winktongue:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I was using it since upgrading. I stopped once I noticed I could not get more than 3 hrs on a charge with my timeline. switched back to IE and instantly got 9-10 hrs back. Its a massive resource hog because of all the ads and bling flashing around that ie does not have. the little notices popping up all the time, plus all the video ads, etc is a massive turn off for me. Once that all has been fixed, I will be back.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
. Its a massive resource hog because of all the ads and bling flashing around that ie does not have. the little notices popping up all the time, plus all the video ads, etc is a massive turn off for me. Once that all has been fixed, I will be back.

So you are really saying once it has an AdBlocker extension?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Kind of been enjoying it today. Seems like the speed has been increased. Was having issues with my Chrome browser, but Edge came through.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, I did figure out how to export all my bookmarks directly from Firefox to Edge. I used "Last Pass". Downloaded it in Firefox, added my passwords, then closed Firefox and opened Edge. Downloaded it in Edge, and there they were. Worked for me.:smile:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Edge is useless until extentions are enabled and 3rd parties can make the integrations people are using on Chrome (even on IE11) - I really want to use it, as of release I have hidden the icon until the extentions I use in Chrome (I only went to chrome since W10) come to Edge.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am still very surprised to see users are still using IE.
Edge is a good browser but still it is "Work in Progress"
But IE was never a good browser. Not only it it's performance suck but it's ugly looking UI....man I can't stand with it.
I found this image on GSMArena and it is true story for most PC users
View attachment 111746

Thank god MS finally ditch IE and redesign a decent browser Edge. But still lot of catching up to do (which they are also doing in mobile platform)
Anyway I am using Edge (sometime)
View attachment 111747

Haha, the comic strip I can relate to that but I disagree performance isn't that bad on IE10 or IE11 providing you have sufficient RAM. Same can be said about firefox... Edge is currently taking this much on one tab.
Edge - ram.PNG
edge- one tab.PNG

Firefox on idle and nothing installed?
Firefox - idle.PNG

This is the sole reason why I dropped Firefox completely.

Yes, Edge is a work in progress and can be choppy at times however I'd rather use a browser that doesn't hog up all my ram thus initiating lack of virtual memory available. Which only occurs when I use firefox with a few handful of tabs... previously I could have a dozen tabs open in firefox and never have a problem - but those days are long gone.

SSK the Gr8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked out all the processes Edge is running? If you have 5 tabs, edge will have 5 processes. Adding them up it generally takes more ram for me than firefox. And firefox is anyday smoother for me than edge. Edge is actually a memory hog and hangs a lot. Contrasting experiences.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked out all the processes Edge is running? If you have 5 tabs, edge will have 5 processes. Adding them up it generally takes more ram for me than firefox. And firefox is anyday smoother for me than edge. Edge is actually a memory hog and hangs a lot. Contrasting experiences.

Hmm, you've got a point the latest version does have a lower memory foot print. It looks like it only actively renders the last viewed tab as opposed to rendering them separately via separate processes or to stuffing them into the ram thus bloating up the ram usage by an insane amount.

edge - memory foot print.PNG
Firefox memory footprint.PNG

I wonder how much the ram usage can be attributed to flash..

Edit: So I installed flash via firefox and this is what happened... needless to say it is odd.
Firefox - after flash update.PNG
Firefox spiked to 700 and then dropped sharply as I was toggling through tabs and hasn't increased since..

In contrast Edge, is the anomaly I only have two instances of Edge despite having the same amount of tabs and same tabs open as the above images. Firefox is also running the same tabs as before. :grincry:

Edge - after flash update.PNG

Think, I'm going to monitor the behaviour rather closely just to assure myself I'm not going crazy! lol.

2nd Update: Uninstalled flash just to see what happens as was curious.. wish I didn't... have a look at the images. :shocked: :confused::grincry:

edge - after flash uninstall.PNG

Firefox - after flash uninstall.PNG

Where on earth did that extra Edge process come from lol lol.

overlay.PNG

Last edited:

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So far it has been great. I havent run into any sites that do not work with Edge. However, I have run into some sites that go 'not responding' frequently. It appears to be due to advertisements, however, since if I forcibly disable them the sites work just fine.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the OP 100%. Edge is useless until we get Favorites Syncing and it actually works on most websites including this one and Twitter. I just can't use it anymore, i tried, i really tried to like it but it sucks and i hate to say it. In its current state it's worse than IE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss