Can I reinstall the Microsoft Edge browser?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

A few days ago I downloaded windows 10, great, but today when I click on the Microsoft edge, nothing happens why

Richard Debertin

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. It is still there as I can go to search put in a web site and it will open in Edge. but no way to open edge and no way to minimize the window without losing it completely. Can use IE but really wanted to try some new features of Edge.

tarau

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Same here, my Edge browser was open, then I closed it. Now I can't open it any more. If I right click on the shortcut it only shows me the option to unpin it. I have tried to repair any corrupted files and did a cold boot to no avail. If I try a different user, it works just fine.

FIXED:
I solved my problem by going back to an earlier restore point. (on Setting, search for RESTORE).

Last edited:

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Open task manager and check if it is showing Edge as running. If it is then select Edge and click on End task. This should solve your problem. I faced this problem in one of the earlier preview builds.

gary 222

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. Downloaded windows 10 three days ago. Edge stopped working today. Will open when I log in as a different user so I was able or download firefox that way. I edge is not running when I go to task manager. Also I cannot restore as system did not save a restore point after download, and I did not manually do do either. Went to microsoft site to redownload edge, cannot find that either.

gary 222

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
latest problem with edge browser which won't boot is that when I go to reinstall from Microsoft, they are requiring me to have office installed. I am certainly not going to buy office for this mostly web surfing machine in order to reload edge which Microsoft installed as part of the windows 10 upgrade.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I had faced similar issues with the edge browser. It disappeared one day. There was no way to manually launch the edge browser. I was finally able to fix it by following the below steps

First we need to delete the corrupt edge folder. The path => C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Delete the "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" Folder

You may not able to delete the folder itself and 2 or 3 files. but it does'nt matter. Select the folder, Hit Delete, Then if it asks for admin privileges, Just hit skip and then ok . Restart the computer.

Then Launch Powershell as administrator and run the following command. Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Hit enter and once the command is executed, Quit powershell and restart the computer to complete the process.

The edge browser will be back and running in all its glory.

For the not so Techie Guys:
Please find below the link to the site that has step by step instructions to reinstall the edge browser
techtantri.com/how-to-reinstall-microsoft-edge-browser/

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
How to Reinstall Microsoft Edge Browser
I had faced similar issues with the edge browser. It disappeared one day. There was no way to manually launch the edge browser. I was finally able to fix it by following the below steps

First we need to delete the corrupt edge folder. The path => C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Delete the "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" Folder

You may not able to delete the folder itself and 2 or 3 files. but it does'nt matter. Select the folder, Hit Delete, Then if it asks for admin privileges, Just hit skip and then ok . Restart the computer.

Then Launch Powershell as administrator and run the following command. Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Hit enter and once the command is executed, Quit powershell and restart the computer to complete the process.

The edge browser will be back and running in all its glory.

For the not so Techie Guys:
There are step by step instructions to reinstall the edge browser at TechTantri (dot) com/ how-to-reinstall-microsoft-edge-browser/

Santhosh Kumar A

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I was trying the above mentioned steps the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe" Folder is more than 10 GB. Before we delete the folder i wanted to make sure if it is supposed to be more than 10 GB ?

ohchiz

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
i tried doing it but got this error message, anyone know why?

errormsg.jpg

edge crashed and disappeared one day and now my windows start button and a lot of search functions throughout windows dont work. i spent several hours with microsoft help desk ppl who said they exahaused all options except resetting my computer, tried to do that and it too errored

dtmichaels

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Dear OhChiz,

I came to this forum looking for the same issue as you did. Upon reading some of the posts, a user posted about running a command in PowerShell. Such as yourself, I copied and pasted it as advised. I ended up running unto the same issue as you. When I executed the command, I got the same message. I tried running it several times and had no luck. Until I saw mentioned several times elsewhere that it needs to be run as Administrator. So you need to locate PowerShell and right click on it and you should see an option to ?Run as Administrator?. Once you have done that, then copy and paste the command and it should work. It certainly worked for me. Wishing you the best of luck? :smile: :wink:

Sincerely,

Devin Michaels-Bishop

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OFFSET