Microsoft Edge is in a frozen Blue screen, how can I fix this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Microsoft Edge is in a frozen blue screen.

I recently upgraded to Win 10. While attempting to use Edge to get my home page set up, I was greeted with a blue screen with an error 333 and a warning that I had contracted many viruses and that I should call a # immediately. I tried but was a bit skeptical with the "certified Microsoft tech" and cancelled the call. There is a white section on the screen that lists the horrors that await me if I don't call. I can't shut any it down, none of the buttons work. How do I escape?
Thanks

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft Edge is in a frozen blue screen.

Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete), then in the "processes" tab, scroll down to Microsoft Edge, right click on it and select "end process".

You may actually have to scroll down to the "background tasks" (still in the Processes tab) and do the same for all instances of Edge. Right click and End Process for each one.

taskmngr.JPG

After you End all these Edge processes, you should see an option to return to your home page.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Also, as an added tip, Internet Explorer is still alive and well in Windows 10. Look in the Start menu - All Apps - Windows Accessories - Internet Explorer.

Just throwing that out there.. ;)

Jerry Doll

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the help. Gave it a shot. Edge showed up in the task bar but no additional edge content processes. At least I was able to shut it down but when trying to reopen edge I got the same blue screen. Apparently, it's some kind of malware but sophisticated enough to hide from detectors. Your windows explorer tip is appreciated and I will use it.

Jerry Doll

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site

After using a cocktail of malware stuff, I went back to your original plan and was able to find and halt windows edge and related processes and now back in business. Thanks for your expert help.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

but when trying to reopen edge I got the same blue screen.

<sounds like he may need to change his start page in settings, too>

True!

For the OP, you can change your home page in Edge by going to the "three dot menu" (...) in the upper right corner, and go down to settings, then change the "open with" page settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99