AdFender now supports Edge

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Just tried AdFender. Unfortunately it also disables News section and profile picture on Edge start and new tab page. Still looking another alternatives.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Adguard, it's only a 180 days trial but AdFender supporting edge is really good news. I remember I tried adfender, and while I liked it, it felt like not much control can be done there. I don't know if Adfender installs automatic lists like Adguard does, like when you go to chinese sites infested of ads, but it's free, and it sounds nice always new adblock alternatives while extensions are available for Edge users.

Edit: oh wow, I didn't notice there was a "professional" version, I thought it was totally free. I remember I used it before "official" support for Edge. but it didn't work with some apps like perfecttube. I might try it someday. but I wish extensions and ABP would be available for Edge, but anyway, it seems we got to wait.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Adguard, it's only a 180 days trial but AdFender supporting edge is really good news. I remember I tried adfender, and while I liked it, it felt like not much control can be done there. I don't know if Adfender installs automatic lists like Adguard does, like when you go to chinese sites infested of ads, but it's free, and it sounds nice always new adblock alternatives while extensions are available for Edge users.

Edit: oh wow, I didn't notice there was a "professional" version, I thought it was totally free. I remember I used it before "official" support for Edge. but it didn't work with some apps like perfecttube. I might try it someday. but I wish extensions and ABP would be available for Edge, but anyway, it seems we got to wait.

180 days? How? Mine is only 14 days trial.. 180 days is enough until Edge gained proper extension support. AdGuard is perfect, automatically add adlist, parental control, integrated control in any browser, and doesn't break Edge start page.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Edge has been great since I installed Adfender.

I used to have to use chrome because edge would just keep freezing up.

Still using chrome for web.whatsapp.com though :(

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just realized this blocks the Windows 10 store :(

Every time I try to open the store I get a "check your connection"

Felix Wong

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You can temporarily turn off AdFender when trying to access the Windows Store by clicking the ^ in the system tray of the Windows taskbar, right clicking on the AdFender icon, and exiting out of it. Then relaunch AdFender when done with Windows Store.

Using AdFender was a great tip! Seems to cut down CPU % by over 20% on sites such as Windows Central--not just on Edge, but also Firefox (which seems to use just as much CPU as Edge). Seems to use as little CPU as Internet Explorer+Tracking Protection lists activated. Hoping this will significantly increase battery time on my Surface Pro 4.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
You can temporarily turn off AdFender when trying to access the Windows Store by clicking the ^ in the system tray of the Windows taskbar, right clicking on the AdFender icon, and exiting out of it. Then relaunch AdFender when done with Windows Store.

I did, but for some reason nothing changed. After that I uninstalled it and the Store was ok...

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
As much as I liked it when I first started using it there was a down side, store would not open and some pages would not load such as C-net and ZD net and a few others, and turning it on and off got to be a pain so I just uninstalled it and went back to using Chrome.

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
AdFender is a proxy service so you may have issues with sites or apps that don't work well through a proxy. I'm also wary of anything that routes your traffic through a proxy I know nothing about, especially as I can't find much information on the company and that they use sites like download.com and softpedia.com to distribute the app, which are primary sources for malware bundled with downloads and bucket loads of malware links and adverts on their sites.

Thanks, but ad-supported sites like WC tend to have mixed feelings about ad-blocking software.
I'd normally be okay with the ads to support a decent site, but Edge is almost unusable with WC due to the heavy use of ads! Seems bizarre for a site of Windows advocacy to make a Windows component horrible to use with their site.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Wow, I just installed AdFender, and WC is suddenly usable!

That's both a testament to AdFender, and a big "shame on you" to Windows Central. I really don't have a problem with having some ads. They don't bother me. But when you shove so many ads at us and clutter the system so that your website becomes unusable, shame on you.

I suspect the advertisers probably feel the same way. This site has sponsors who pay good money to keep the site up and running. I don't mind seeing their ads. But because you clutter it up so badly with ads, the result is that people like me block all of the ads altogether to make the site usable. (I've never used an ad blocker before, and I wouldn't have if WC would have been usable to me without one.) The end result is that your sponsors don't get their advertising in front of people like me who don't object to seeing it in moderation. My view is that you owe it to both your sponsors and your users to manage the advertising in a moderated and reasonable way. Otherwise, you ruin it for everyone.

It's obviously your site. I'm just a freeloader here. But not really: I'm one of the people that your sponsors are paying good money to reach. So in that sense, I do add value. So, you're free to do what you will with your site. But make those choices with the understanding that some of your users are installing ad blocking software solely because the ads here on WC are creating problems that we don't experience on other sites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05