Why do my Edge & Xbox app suddenly close when trying to open Cortana responds ONLY to hey Cortana?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

edge & xbox app suddenly close when trying to open; cortana responds ONLY to "hey cortana"

I have a toshiba laptop upgraded to windows 10. Suddenly about a week ago my start menu, Cortana, & several other windows apps (calculator, etc) stopped opening at all. I did a system restore to about a week before. System restore took an unusually extremely long time but seemed to work.
NOW Cortana responds to Hey Cortana, but then the little corner cortana box just sits there, & cortana never speaks.
My start menu opens normal but my xbox app (which i use quite a lot) acts like its going to open, but before I see anything other than the green background it closes (no notification or anything). It does the same thing if i click one of my notifications in the menu that comes from the icon on my taskbar.
Same happens with Edge (from any place including: startmenu, desktop, & taskbar).
Calculator, Word, etc all seem to work fine.
I thought I'd try restoring to previous time again however though i had 3 different restore point options when i restored the 1st time (&i had chosen the most recent), it shows no previous restore points & shows no space being used for restore storage!
Ive found some similar problems when i tried searching for solutions, however they all had AVAST installed, which i do not.

Could anybody help me with a good solution? Thank you very much for your time & assistance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos