AdBlock vs Adblock Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolcmsc

May 8, 2013
Visit site
As a general user, Adstock does the job without impairing the page author's main graphic intent. Adstock Plus, in my experience, can alter the page so much that some sites stutter as ads are blocked and in addition, on occasion the principle page content can take on an unintended appearance.

anon(8127150)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Both are different products from different companies. Whenever in doubt, I usually check ratings and go for the product having a higher rating. If the rating is same, I go for number of downloads.

Check out the differences yourself ->

Adblock : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Adblock Plus : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

A very good explanation is available on AdBlock Support as to why both the products have similar names:

Why are the names so similar?
Long, long ago, somebody (not us) created a Firefox add-on called Adblock. Later on, another team created a different Firefox add-on and adopted the name Adblock Plus (ABP).

When Google Chrome came along, the Adblock Plus team wasn't interested in supporting the new browser. Michael Gundlach created an ad blocking extension he called, naturally enough, AdBlock for Chrome. It went on to become the most popular Chrome extension. Then the Adblock Plus team decided to support Chrome after all. Over time, both AdBlock and ABP added support for additional browsers and platforms. And that's why the two most popular ad blockers have such similar names. Aren't you glad you asked?

Dan Valentin

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
There?s not much of a difference. Personally I use adblock plus, more user friendly. I?ve been using both of them for a long time, but I had some concerns from adblock.
An interesting article you will find here http://www.minterest.org/adblock-vs-adblock-plus/
I suggest to try both and see how they fit to your personal preferences and I?m sure you?ll come up with a winner.

Last edited:

borgeindergaard

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I haven't tried Adblock yet, only ABP. ABP doesn't block all ads in Edge. It let's a lot of ads through, even after disabling the whitelisting of non-intrusive ads. I hope uBlock Origin arrives for Edge soon. That's the best adblocker I've ever used. I stopped using ABP for Chrome/Firefox a long time ago, as uBlock Origin was better in every possible way.

impromark

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for this, I'd been wanting to figure out the difference! I wonder how much it affects different kinds of devices though - SSD vs HDD equipped laptops, for example..?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750