08-17-2018 09:58 AM
164 12345 ...
tools
    I've stuck with Edge since Windows 10 came out but I'm increasingly annoyed with it - telling that I also recently pinned Chrome next to Edge. My biggest gripe is "Page not responding" messages which are getting more prevalent. I've just had it on this very site/topic going from page 1 to page 2. Despite benchmarks showing that the Chrome JavaScript engine is much improved and can beat Chrome in some cases, real life experience just doesn't back this up. When I find a really slow site (like those horrible clickbate sites on Facebook), switching to Chrome is nearly always faster. I recently had to help a friend sort out their Yahoo mailbox. It was so slow in Edge but much better in Chrome.

The other common gripe is memory usage - I would actually be okay with this if it was always super fast but it's not. A worrying gripe is more worrying and excessive CPU usage even after the page has finished loading. And I've only got a 16GB 8-core system....

Final gripe is that it's still not 100% Office 365 compatible which is unbelievable considering how important Office 365 is to Microsoft. My clients are still using IE.
    12-30-2016 07:26 AM
    I recently had to help a friend sort out their Yahoo mailbox. It was so slow in Edge but much better in Chrome.
    Yahoo Mail is the laggest one I've ever seen.
    neo158 likes this.
    12-31-2016 06:44 AM
    Decent browser. I think I'm going to stick to it until I feel something's off. For now, I'm only missing AdBlock.
    01-02-2017 02:01 AM
    Personally I've used Edge since Windows 10 was released and while I feel that there are things that are missing I wouldn't use anything else. What people forget is that standards wise Microsoft is going with the parts of HTML5 that have been made a standard. Edge itself does lack a way to edit bookmarks, but for a WIP Edge does what was intended. People also need to remember that issues with websites may well be the site itself and not Edge.

Just out of curiosity, those of you who are having issues with Edge, what build of Windows 10 are you using as earlier versions of Edge and those on Fast and Slow ring builds were, and still are, temperamental. I have heard that Microsoft want to try and separate Edge from the OS so they can update it independently.
    Last edited by neo158; 01-02-2017 at 05:50 AM.
    01-02-2017 05:15 AM
    Decent browser. I think I'm going to stick to it until I feel something's off. For now, I'm only missing AdBlock.
    ABP is available as an extension for Edge but I use uBlock Origin as it's lighter on resources.
    01-02-2017 05:47 AM
    14393-576 is my build. Edge is horribly slow. Takes forever to load webpages. I've cleared cache and made sure that any adblockers were deleted.
    01-02-2017 11:20 AM
    Since I have a windows machine i'm using edge. There is just one website that is causing the issue you describe. That is the blizzard forum. I tried google chrome en firefox just to see what i prefer. Keep coming back to edge.
    neo158 likes this.
    01-02-2017 11:31 AM
    14393-576 is my build. Edge is horribly slow. Takes forever to load webpages. I've cleared cache and made sure that any adblockers were deleted.
    I don't have that issue and I'm running the same build as you, does it happen on specific websites or on all of them?

I would also consider using ABP, or even better uBlock Origin, to block ads. I also found that removing Turn off the lights, Mouse Gestures and Page Analyzer fixed any slowdown I had and stopped the extensions crashing.
    01-02-2017 11:38 AM
    Another example of the problems Edge is having: Our church needs to send in it's yearly statistics online. We got this message today. (Ezra is the name of our statistics program)

The browser, Windows Edge, does not play well with Ezra.

If your Windows 10 computer is trying to download a pdf file from Ezra and you get an error message - “Cannot open PDF”.....
    Or
    If you left click on the blue Ezra link that says, “Download PDF” and get an error message.... then the work around is to right click the link and choose the “Save Target (or Link) As” option to save the file, then find it in the directory where you saved it, then double click on the file name to open it.

(Geeks: When downloading .pdf files from Ezra no matter what browser you are using, Windows 10 calls up the default browser, Windows Edge. To fix this conflict between Ezra and Win 10, make a different browser than Edge the default browser or remove Edge from your computer! Please forgive my assumption that geeks do not use Edge.)
    01-03-2017 06:10 AM
    Personally I've used Edge since Windows 10 was released and while I feel that there are things that are missing I wouldn't use anything else. What people forget is that standards wise Microsoft is going with the parts of HTML5 that have been made a standard. Edge itself does lack a way to edit bookmarks, but for a WIP Edge does what was intended. People also need to remember that issues with websites may well be the site itself and not Edge.

Just out of curiosity, those of you who are having issues with Edge, what build of Windows 10 are you using as earlier versions of Edge and those on Fast and Slow ring builds were, and still are, temperamental. I have heard that Microsoft want to try and separate Edge from the OS so they can update it independently.
    After completely uninstalling Adblock and installing uBlock origin, Edge has become much better for me. I prefer it now to Chrome and it is my default browser. Yes, there are still some websites that have rendering issues, but I don't really care. Edge is doing the job for me, and I am a geek. Edge is more clean than Chrome and it is also very fast.
    01-03-2017 03:29 PM
    Ever since Edge gained uBlock Origin, I've made it my default web browser and I'm really loving it on my Surface Pro. Great for both touchpad/keyboard and touchscreen/pen input. In fact, I've ditched Chrome all together as google keeps gimping the experience on PC+ devices like my Surface Pro (learn more here, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=341335 ). I only use portable Opera on the side for those once in while situations where a site refuses to load in Edge. Other than that, it's Edge all the way.

Just wish more extensions like Lazarus, Imagus, 1Password, YouTube Center, etc, were available for it to further enhance the experience. The bookmarks part could also be improved, but I'm managing with this great tool ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-2eae727ed424 ), and I'm sure things are only going to get a lot better with the coming Creator's update, Edge is not even up to 2 years old yet.
    neo158 and SeanD_Colorado like this.
    01-08-2017 01:17 AM
    Ever since Edge gained uBlock Origin, I've made it my default web browser and I'm really loving it on my Surface Pro. Great for both touchpad/keyboard and touchscreen/pen input. In fact, I've ditched Chrome all together as google keeps gimping the experience on PC+ devices like my Surface Pro (learn more here, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=341335 ). I only use portable Opera on the side for those once in while situations where a site refuses to load in Edge. Other than that, it's Edge all the way.

Just wish more extensions like Lazarus, Imagus, 1Password, YouTube Center, etc, were available for it to further enhance the experience. The bookmarks part could also be improved, but I'm managing with this great tool ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-2eae727ed424 ), and I'm sure things are only going to get a lot better with the coming Creator's update, Edge is not even up to 2 years old yet.
    I've found Edge's bookmark system pretty simple and effective. Honestly, after last update (when download manager had been improved) I need nothing new to Edge.
    01-08-2017 06:32 AM
    I like it, but I find the broken hamburger menu non-intuitive. The mess of little icons (reading lists, favorites, downloads, history) doesn't really work for me. I see what they mean, but I still don't feel like I know where things are. Pinning a page to start, was that in dot dot dot or in stripe stripe stripe? And on the PC I miss a 'pin page to desktop' option. And finally, I miss Chrome's custom searches. I have quite a few of those. 'Search on imdb', 'search on google maps', 'search on amazon' etc. Otherwise it's a nice browser.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative
    01-08-2017 06:41 AM
    I believe Microsoft is on the right path. They really just need to pour more resources in refining the experience.
    HeyCori likes this.
    01-08-2017 02:30 PM
    When is uBlock Origin coming for the Edge Mobile browser?
    01-09-2017 12:06 PM
    When the Mobile version of Edge supports extensions!!
    digitaldd likes this.
    01-09-2017 12:07 PM
    Edge is terrible on mobile, to the point that half of the websites I link to via Cortana don't render properly. We need to be able to designate default browsers for ourselves on Mobile. If MS wants us to use Edge, make it the best browser out there and people will go to it organically.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    01-09-2017 04:35 PM
    Edge is terrible on mobile, to the point that half of the websites I link to via Cortana don't render properly. We need to be able to designate default browsers for ourselves on Mobile. If MS wants us to use Edge, make it the best browser out there and people will go to it organically.
    If that's the case then Edge is terrible on the desktop for rendering webpages as well considering they both use the same engine!!!!
    01-09-2017 04:39 PM
    I concur. Saving pages to PDF and printing via Google Cloud apps are 2 major features I'm missing. Microsoft should have done for Mobile 10 as they did with desktop and kept Internet Explorer available as an option. IE11 worked much better IMO.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    tgp likes this.
    01-09-2017 09:04 PM
    I'm good with it

Sent from my Lumia 950 on mTalk
    01-09-2017 09:26 PM
    If that's the case then Edge is terrible on the desktop for rendering webpages as well considering they both use the same engine!!!!
    I'm not sure why it is happening. What I know is that when I have used it on Desktop, the font sizes, etc. are correct, though it is not my preferred choice their either. Many times on mobile they aren't. In addition, link and menus often don't work for me. What I know is that UC Browser and others don't have that problem. They work just fine all the time. Edge doesn't, at least not for me.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 01-09-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    01-09-2017 09:49 PM
    I'm not sure why it is happening. What I know is that when I have used it on Desktop, the font sizes, etc. are correct, though it is not my preferred choice their either. Many times on mobile they aren't. In addition, link and menus often don't work for me. What I know is that UC Browser and others don't have that problem. They work just fine all the time. Edge doesn't, at least not for me.
    I don't have any issues with Edge on Desktop or Mobile so, as I said before, it's either the website, experimental flags enabled or your device needs a factory reset/recovery. Also remember that if you're on the fast ring then you won't have a stable version of Edge anyway.
    01-10-2017 12:09 PM
    I don't have any issues with Edge on Desktop or Mobile so, as I said before, it's either the website, experimental flags enabled or your device needs a factory reset/recovery. Also remember that if you're on the fast ring then you won't have a stable version of Edge anyway.
    And as I said before, other browsers that I use on mobile don't have any problems at all. So, it's Edge. Just because you aren't having a problem personally doesn't mean that there isn't one.
    01-10-2017 01:01 PM
    And as I said before, other browsers that I use on mobile don't have any problems at all. So, it's Edge. Just because you aren't having a problem personally doesn't mean that there isn't one.
    All that means is that the websites have workarounds for those other browsers but not for Edge, lets place the blame where it should lie and that's squarely with the websites themselves. If Edge was the problem then most, if not all, websites would have issues so explain to me how issues only occur with some websites?

I also never stated that issues don't exist so stop putting words in my mouth!!!!!
    01-10-2017 01:37 PM
    Microsoft should have done for Mobile 10 as they did with desktop and kept Internet Explorer available as an option.
    I work in Enterprise, and I wholeheartedly agree! I would even stick my neck out and say that it wouldn't have hurt to make IE a little more visible on W10.

Microsoft kept IE on desktop for things like SSRS reports, which I (and my customers) use extensively. They do not fully work on other browsers, including Edge. We've had customers that have upgraded their workstations to W10, or gotten new ones with Windows 10, and then they'll call us and complain that their SQL reports do not work. Well, if you have a link to the report, it opens in your default browser, which by default is Edge on Windows 10. Most people though use Firefox or Chrome as default. I haven't found anyone yet who uses IE as their default browser on W10. Ha, most of them don't even know it exists!
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    01-10-2017 01:54 PM
164 12345 ...