Is anybody happy with Edge?

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
uBlock is great. Ad Block Plus for Edge and FireFox has gone down hill; On FireFox it's great for that extra ad protection but for Edge it's useless.

Edge needs a Session Manager.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Since its launch, I have never used any other browser than edge. Never felt a need to. Never gave me problems. And i made it sure that i had the latest plug ins installed. So that too. It is just perfect for me. Super fast, reliable and safe. Love it.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Got the latest release preview update the other day and notice Edge is now crashing. A lot. Especially on this site or others with lots of ads.
I like edge but I still find it lacking. I totally cant use it for work as many of the companies I deal with only support IE. Like using it on my SP3.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I switched from Firefox to Edge as my default full-time browser. The reason for hesitating to switch before are two missing plugins I use very often and they are SpeedDial FVD and Tile Tabs.

uBlock Origin and Pocket are both available and are working fine.

The reason for changing my mind and switching yesterday is: There was a page that loaded and scrolled like crap in Firefox but was amazingly smooth in Edge. In Firefox, it kept stuttering and it loaded very slowly.

I don't have Tile Tabs, but to workaround the Speed Dial FVD extension not being available, I started using https://myfav.es for having my bookmarks on the homepage in a nice graphical form.

Happy so far. I will see if I need to switch back.

One limitation I found so far is that you can't tell Edge to display the homepage when opening a new blank tab. I worked around this by pinning my homepage and having myfav.es open links in new tabs. I can get used to this, it's not bad at all.

The only issue is we still use Windows 7 at work and I use Firefox for personal browsing (IE11 for work). I might have to install/load the Edge in a VM that's provided by Microsoft. We'll see....

It might be nice if they made Edge multiplatform to gain market share faster.

JREwing

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Slowest browser on the planet. Totally disappointed with the load times for webpages. I have a Surface Book, and Chrome will load ten times faster.
Edge is unusable. This upsets me when I can't use a good-featured browser on an $1,800 laptop.
I don't understand why some people say it's fast, and it slow for me. And I'm not using any AdBlockers, which was suggested to me might be the problem.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Slowest browser on the planet. Totally disappointed with the load times for webpages. I have a Surface Book, and Chrome will load ten times faster.
Edge is unusable. This upsets me when I can't use a good-featured browser on an $1,800 laptop.
I don't understand why some people say it's fast, and it slow for me. And I'm not using any AdBlockers, which was suggested to me might be the problem.
I also have a Surface Book and when I load just a few tabs on Edge then it is fast. Chrome is definitely faster and more stable. I use both of them and while I enjoy the deep Windows 10 integration and the better font rendering on HiDPI displays of the Edge browser, I go back to Chrome for serious work..

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I was waiting for Edge a long time. I use it since release with Windows 10 and it was one of the biggest reasons to update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (if Edge would be available on Windows 7, I wouldn't update).

Therefore, I am very happy. It has all features I need. Maybe it has no features like in other browsers... but the point is that I don't need them.

One after another I simply deleted the rest browsers from my PC.

munrobasher

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I've stuck with Edge since Windows 10 came out but I'm increasingly annoyed with it - telling that I also recently pinned Chrome next to Edge. My biggest gripe is "Page not responding" messages which are getting more prevalent. I've just had it on this very site/topic going from page 1 to page 2. Despite benchmarks showing that the Chrome JavaScript engine is much improved and can beat Chrome in some cases, real life experience just doesn't back this up. When I find a really slow site (like those horrible clickbate sites on Facebook), switching to Chrome is nearly always faster. I recently had to help a friend sort out their Yahoo mailbox. It was so slow in Edge but much better in Chrome.

The other common gripe is memory usage - I would actually be okay with this if it was always super fast but it's not. A worrying gripe is more worrying and excessive CPU usage even after the page has finished loading. And I've only got a 16GB 8-core system....

Final gripe is that it's still not 100% Office 365 compatible which is unbelievable considering how important Office 365 is to Microsoft. My clients are still using IE.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Personally I've used Edge since Windows 10 was released and while I feel that there are things that are missing I wouldn't use anything else. What people forget is that standards wise Microsoft is going with the parts of HTML5 that have been made a standard. Edge itself does lack a way to edit bookmarks, but for a WIP Edge does what was intended. People also need to remember that issues with websites may well be the site itself and not Edge.

Just out of curiosity, those of you who are having issues with Edge, what build of Windows 10 are you using as earlier versions of Edge and those on Fast and Slow ring builds were, and still are, temperamental. I have heard that Microsoft want to try and separate Edge from the OS so they can update it independently.

Last edited:

JREwing

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
14393-576 is my build. Edge is horribly slow. Takes forever to load webpages. I've cleared cache and made sure that any adblockers were deleted.

blackherrie

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Since I have a windows machine i'm using edge. There is just one website that is causing the issue you describe. That is the blizzard forum. I tried google chrome en firefox just to see what i prefer. Keep coming back to edge.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
14393-576 is my build. Edge is horribly slow. Takes forever to load webpages. I've cleared cache and made sure that any adblockers were deleted.

I don't have that issue and I'm running the same build as you, does it happen on specific websites or on all of them?

I would also consider using ABP, or even better uBlock Origin, to block ads. I also found that removing Turn off the lights, Mouse Gestures and Page Analyzer fixed any slowdown I had and stopped the extensions crashing.

JREwing

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Another example of the problems Edge is having: Our church needs to send in it's yearly statistics online. We got this message today. (Ezra is the name of our statistics program)

The browser, Windows Edge, does not play well with Ezra.

If your Windows 10 computer is trying to download a pdf file from Ezra and you get an error message - “Cannot open PDF”.....
Or
If you left click on the blue Ezra link that says, “Download PDF” and get an error message.... then the work around is to right click the link and choose the “Save Target (or Link) As” option to save the file, then find it in the directory where you saved it, then double click on the file name to open it.

(Geeks: When downloading .pdf files from Ezra no matter what browser you are using, Windows 10 calls up the default browser, Windows Edge. To fix this conflict between Ezra and Win 10, make a different browser than Edge the default browser or remove Edge from your computer! Please forgive my assumption that geeks do not use Edge.)

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Personally I've used Edge since Windows 10 was released and while I feel that there are things that are missing I wouldn't use anything else. What people forget is that standards wise Microsoft is going with the parts of HTML5 that have been made a standard. Edge itself does lack a way to edit bookmarks, but for a WIP Edge does what was intended. People also need to remember that issues with websites may well be the site itself and not Edge.

Just out of curiosity, those of you who are having issues with Edge, what build of Windows 10 are you using as earlier versions of Edge and those on Fast and Slow ring builds were, and still are, temperamental. I have heard that Microsoft want to try and separate Edge from the OS so they can update it independently.

After completely uninstalling Adblock and installing uBlock origin, Edge has become much better for me. I prefer it now to Chrome and it is my default browser. Yes, there are still some websites that have rendering issues, but I don't really care. Edge is doing the job for me, and I am a geek. Edge is more clean than Chrome and it is also very fast.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Ever since Edge gained uBlock Origin, I've made it my default web browser and I'm really loving it on my Surface Pro. Great for both touchpad/keyboard and touchscreen/pen input. In fact, I've ditched Chrome all together as google keeps gimping the experience on PC+ devices like my Surface Pro (learn more here, https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=341335 ). I only use portable Opera on the side for those once in while situations where a site refuses to load in Edge. Other than that, it's Edge all the way.

Just wish more extensions like Lazarus, Imagus, 1Password, YouTube Center, etc, were available for it to further enhance the experience. The bookmarks part could also be improved, but I'm managing with this great tool ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...avorites/04db0843-71fe-417c-9381-2eae727ed424 ), and I'm sure things are only going to get a lot better with the coming Creator's update, Edge is not even up to 2 years old yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs