Has Edge gone downhill the past several months?

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I love Edge, it's by far my favorite browser. I used to find it head and shoulders above any other browser out there. In particular I found it offered a much better tablet experience, touch functions were very fast and accurate compared to other browsers, and it's dark mode (high contrast in windows) is something no other browser had.

But the past several months it's gone downhill VERY rapidly. This is with using it on 4 different PC's between work and home. Number one complaint is it has become VERY slow to load webpages. I've wondered if it's my network, hardware, malware, etc. But at times Edge takes literally 30+ seconds to load a page. I can have Chrome loaded up right next to it and it loads the page in 5 seconds. It seems to be intermittent, sometimes Edge is slow, other times it seems normal.

Another issue is that on my surface pro 2017 often when I close the lid and reopen it Edge seems bugged, like it's frozen. Sometimes it's that I can't scroll or interact with the window because it will just use my touch to drag the edge window, almost as if the top bar where you grab the window is now functioning everywhere. Sometimes it is just a complete freeze. This happens a lot, I'd say at least once per day.

There are other issues as well, such as incompatibility with websites that Chrome has no issues with. Mostly streaming sites such as some of my cable channels, but other sites act oddly as well. Don't even get me started on RAM or CPU usage of Edge. I can have 2 tabs open and the CPU and/or RAM spikes up to max and the computer slows to a crawl for a few seconds. This is on a i5/8gb surface pro 2017, but I even notice it at home on my modern desktop. Some comment systems seem broken such as Disqus, when typing in a response box it is VERY slow, like painfully slow, and don't get me started on how the backspace button makes you go back a webpage and lose your edit. Some graphic heavy sites don't load all the graphics, even after minutes of having it open (eg: Engadget.com).

Most of these issues have been in the past few months. I was a VERY happy Edge user for years before this. I dislike Chrome/Firefox because their touch function such as pinch to zoom is slow and ratchety. I also dislike them because there is no viable dark mode, as I use my PC at night in bed often and like to let my wife sleep. Windows high contrast mode is a godsend, and for some reason Chrome/Firefox don't follow the system wide dark mode. Yeah I've tried dark extensions, but they all stink, for example they invert website and picture graphics and websites UI always end up looking odd and often unusable.

Anyone else notice this worsening of Edge in the past several months? Any insider know if Microsoft is aware of this and if they are working to fix it? I'm on the consumer stable build, but have no issue going back to the insider program if the insider builds are more stable. I just didn't like Microsoft having every shred of info on me when in the insider program.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

But the Windows update released yesterday appears to have fixed at least some mainstream sites that would hang the browser for me.

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

But the Windows update released yesterday appears to have fixed at least some mainstream sites that would hang the browser for me.

Hmm, I'm fully updated through windows update and am finding no difference. Just today I got very frustrated with several websites loading slowly, or just freezing. I made it a point to use Chrome side by side on the same websites at the same time and Chrome flew through them. It's definitely an issue specifically with Edge, and something fairly recent.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Edge is certainly not perfect, but my experience isn't as bad as yours. Yes, sometimes text input might lag, sometimes when resuming from standby it might freeze, but I think it all depends on the extensions you have installed. Try to use as few as possible. For me Edge is still the best browser for my Surface Book.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I'm fully updated through windows update and am finding no difference. Just today I got very frustrated with several websites loading slowly, or just freezing. I made it a point to use Chrome side by side on the same websites at the same time and Chrome flew through them. It's definitely an issue specifically with Edge, and something fairly recent.

What website is bad for you? Note that Edge uses graphics drivers to optimize performance so if those are not recent you can have issues too.

Post your slow websites here for us to compare too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon